Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 1 Member and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 519 [520] 521 522 523 ... 608 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 235017 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7785 on: March 13, 2013, 10:40 PM »

I'd heard he's deeply conservative.

He can be classed as conservative because he adheres to scripture. He's not traditional in terms of 'popes' as he has done his best to live a simple life and not get caught up in the grandeur of the high priesthood.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7786 on: March 13, 2013, 11:40 PM »

Whoever was elected Pope would be classed conservative, as they would have adhered to scripture, but this man will be a very different leader because of where and how he has lived. Being a Jesuit they have often been seen as rebels and have stood up for the poor and needy, over the rules and regulations of the Church. Which is why as Hazybear has pointed out he has lived a simple life and avoided the pomp and ceremony of an Archbishop/Cardinal.
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7787 on: March 14, 2013, 12:02 AM »

Well there's a new pope in town people! Just listened to him speaking to the crowds and as a non Catholic was very encouraged.

He has a shady role in the torture and "disappearing" of dissidents during the years of Argentinian military dictatorship. He was an associate of the butcherous dictator Jorge Rafael Videla, and is believed to have hidden political prisoners in his holiday home  so that a human rights delegation would not be aware of them.

Like all the candidates, he is a bigot who believes homosexuality should be criminalised, and he is certainly against gay marriage.

And is he going to reverse Benedict's shameful exhortation to Africans not to use condoms? Something that directly cost many thousands of lives in the continent worst affected by Aids? No he is not.

I will be greatly encouraged when superstition no longer dictates the lives of billions. There is nothing encouraging at the appointment of another leader with a dodgy past to a dogmatic right wing extremist political group. And, yes, that's what the Catholic Church is, a political group.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7788 on: March 14, 2013, 06:29 AM »

He's not traditional in terms of 'popes' as he has done his best to live a simple life and not get caught up in the grandeur of the high priesthood.

Well that's about to change a tad, isn't it?
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7789 on: March 14, 2013, 06:37 AM »

Dave H you are showing that you are a bigot as well.  Think doh
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7790 on: March 14, 2013, 08:39 AM »

Michelle, if what Dave says is true, then he's surely not a bigot. I must admit, I was very disappointed to hear that he too, is dead set against contraception and abortion.......not that I'm totally 'for' abortion myself, except in certain circumstances, but it seems to me that having as many little Catholics in the world, whether they are starving, or dying of preventable diseases for want of a bob ot two, or have a roof over their heads or not, is what matters most to the Catholic church!  If Pope Francis is really so humble, then he'll surely use the vast wealth of the Catholic church [the richest church in the world], to put an end to the suffering of the innocents! As an ex Catholic myself, I await with interest!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7791 on: March 14, 2013, 09:08 AM »

Lol a new "young" Pope is 76. Gives hope to us all Rock ya
Gotta agree with Dave here and the sorrow is that it's the uneducated, superstitious poor who believe all the tosh.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7792 on: March 14, 2013, 10:54 AM »

Michelle, if what Dave says is true, then he's surely not a bigot. I must admit, I was very disappointed to hear that he too, is dead set against contraception and abortion.......not that I'm totally 'for' abortion myself, except in certain circumstances, but it seems to me that having as many little Catholics in the world, whether they are starving, or dying of preventable diseases for want of a bob ot two, or have a roof over their heads or not, is what matters most to the Catholic church!  If Pope Francis is really so humble, then he'll surely use the vast wealth of the Catholic church [the richest church in the world], to put an end to the suffering of the innocents! As an ex Catholic myself, I await with interest!

It wouldn't work Caz.     Should the Queen give away all her wealth to help the poor of this country?    We need to alter our financial systems to positively discriminate in favour of the Third World.   How many of us would be willing to take a drop in our living standards to enable this to happen?    When I get a minute I'll look at that new Charity thread which should be interesting.    Many moons ago when I was a young child I took pennies to school for the starving children of Africa.    It still goes on.   
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: News Thread « Reply #7793 on: March 14, 2013, 11:01 AM »

Dave H you are showing that you are a bigot as well.  Think doh

Do you know what the teachings of the Catholic church, regarding condoms, has done to the people of Africa over the last 20-30 years?

It's embarrassing that the Catholic church continue to preach their views on abortion and contraception. One of many, many embarrassments.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7794 on: March 14, 2013, 11:10 AM »

It wouldn't work Caz.     Should the Queen give away all her wealth to help the poor of this country?    We need to alter our financial systems to positively discriminate in favour of the Third World.   How many of us would be willing to take a drop in our living standards to enable this to happen?    When I get a minute I'll look at that new Charity thread which should be interesting.    Many moons ago when I was a young child I took pennies to school for the starving children of Africa.    It still goes on.   
With respect, I can't see the comparison between the Queen and the Pope! She's not telling people that they'll go to hell for using condoms!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7795 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14 AM »

Do you know what the teachings of the Catholic church, regarding condoms, has done to the people of Africa over the last 20-30 years?

It's embarrassing that the Catholic church continue to preach their views on abortion and contraception. One of many, many embarrassments.

They preach their views because they believe in them.    Whether they are right or wrong is immaterial.    If it is what they believe they continue because they must.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7796 on: March 14, 2013, 11:22 AM »

With respect, I can't see the comparison between the Queen and the Pope! She's not telling people that they'll go to hell for using condoms!

I wasn't talking about condoms, Caz.    I was querying whether giving away vast sums of money would make the world a better place.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7797 on: March 14, 2013, 12:01 PM »

Well, I love the idea of Buck Palace being turned into a hostel for the homeless.
Way to go, Queenie yay
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7798 on: March 14, 2013, 12:31 PM »

Like all the candidates, he is a bigot who believes homosexuality should be criminalised, and he is certainly against gay marriage.

And is he going to reverse Benedict's shameful exhortation to Africans not to use condoms? Something that directly cost many thousands of lives in the continent worst affected by Aids? No he is not.

I will be greatly encouraged when superstition no longer dictates the lives of billions. There is nothing encouraging at the appointment of another leader with a dodgy past to a dogmatic right wing extremist political group. And, yes, that's what the Catholic Church is, a political group.

Em Catholic church as a whole is against gay marriage and that to me is scriptural- why shouldn't they be allowed to take a stance on their beliefs? If homosexuals disagree they don't have to be part of the catholic church and if they aren't christians they what does it matter to them what the pope says?
On Africa and contraception, I agree it is one area where common sense needs to be applied.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7799 on: March 14, 2013, 12:32 PM »

I wasn't talking about condoms, Caz.    I was querying whether giving away vast sums of money would make the world a better place.
Oh.......I know it wouldn't be a 'cure all', but it would make the world a better place for a lot of little Catholics! It would buy a hell of a lot of mosquito nets and vaccinations and would put food in a lot of swollen little bellys. Of course,  this would only be a temporary help, unless they changed their attitude to contraception, but at least it would be a start!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 519 [520] 521 522 523 ... 608 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »