Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 523 [524] 525 526 527 ... 610 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 249614 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7845 on: March 15, 2013, 03:07 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/14/us-science-higgs-idUSBRE9270XW20130314

GENEVA | Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:08am EDT

(Reuters) - Physicists who last summer triumphantly announced the discovery of a new particle but held back from saying what it was, declared on Thursday there was now little doubt it was the long-sought Higgs boson.

This is actually great news. I've been hearing about it for quite some time now but as I understand it, the idea had existed for a few centuries now and was only confirmed recently by physicists. They did enough research and experiment on the Higgs boson for a number of years to make this conclusion that it does exist but it is not as easily traceable because of its constant movement or something like that. As I understand it, it's not exactly a particle but an energy form that acts in a particular way, hence the name of The God particle or form. It has the tendency to go in and out of other particles (matters) but never tends to stay there. It is speculated that the whole Universe was created out of this energy form or particle. Very interesting development no doubt. I am particularly thrilled. lol
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7846 on: March 15, 2013, 04:05 PM »

It is political and he should keep his nose out of it. Yes young men from each country died not only Argentinians he should remember that. Where is his brotherly love ? he appears to be only listening to one side of the story.
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7847 on: March 15, 2013, 08:30 PM »

iluvandy,

If in future you see someone using the construction "If by opposing examples of x I am what you called me, x, then yes I am x" you might understand that it is an example of sarcasm. Or you might not.

Being intolerant of intolerance is not bigotry. Having good reasons to dislike an institution is not bigotry. Go in peace with the new knowledge that you can challenge barbarism and other antiquated injustice without being a bigot. Disliking an institution for being, for example, anti-gay rights is actually okay! shocker.

If you still think I have displayed the symptoms of bigotry, please point to where I was a bigot. 

If you want your opinions known, state them. I am quite entitled to respond to you by restating the case against the Catholic Church. If you wanted to distance yourself from their antiquated inhumane views, better not to challenge someone who states the case against them.

IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7848 on: March 15, 2013, 08:54 PM »

This is actually great news. I've been hearing about it for quite some time now but as I understand it, the idea had existed for a few centuries now and was only confirmed recently by physicists.

The Standard model of physics didn't exist until the 60s. Without that framework, the Higgs Boson would be meaningless.

So I am puzzled. What idea that you think resembles it are you thinking of?

As I understand it, it's not exactly a particle but an energy form that acts in a particular way, hence the name of The God particle or form.

The Higgs Boson is a particle. However, particles are just what we see when we look. What actually exists are fields. A field is something that has a value at every point in space and time. The Higgs Field pervades all space (It has a value larger than 0 at every point in space).

The Higgs Boson was called the "Goddamned particle" because it couldn't be found. An editor sanitized it to the "God particle." This is the prosaic truth of the unhelpful "God Particle" label.

It is speculated that the whole Universe was created out of this energy form or particle.

By who? I have never heard that. That is not what the Higgs Field is at all as far as I am aware.

I got most of this information from MIT Physicist Sean Carroll's talk when I saw him at the Royal Institution talking about the Higgs Boson.

Sean Carroll's talk is online now and I recommend it for anyone who wants to know what the Higgs Boson actually is. He is a very entertaining speaker too.

http://richannel.org/collections/2013/sean-carroll#/the-particle-at-the-end-of-the-universe--talk
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7849 on: March 15, 2013, 10:22 PM »

iluvandy,

If in future you see someone using the construction "If by opposing examples of x I am what you called me, x, then yes I am x" you might understand that it is an example of sarcasm. Or you might not.

Being intolerant of intolerance is not bigotry. Having good reasons to dislike an institution is not bigotry. Go in peace with the new knowledge that you can challenge barbarism and other antiquated injustice without being a bigot. Disliking an institution for being, for example, anti-gay rights is actually okay! shocker.

If you still think I have displayed the symptoms of bigotry, please point to where I was a bigot. 

If you want your opinions known, state them. I am quite entitled to respond to you by restating the case against the Catholic Church. If you wanted to distance yourself from their antiquated inhumane views, better not to challenge someone who states the case against them. 

I had not called you a bigot - that was suggested by someone else in another post.    First rule in a debate is get your facts right.    After you implied there were good and bad bigots I queried that, not realising it was meant as sarcasm.    Clydey thought it was mockery so perhaps sarcasm is better employed in a situation between two people who know each other well.   It is more easily understood then.   It is also thought to be the lowest form of wit.   While this remains a free country I will challenge whomsoever I wish to challenge and I hope you will not be too disappointed when I tell you I learned nothing new from your post.    By the way in one of your
other posts you should have said "By whom?" rather than "By who?"
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7850 on: March 15, 2013, 10:42 PM »

First rule in a debate is get your facts right.

Which facts do you think I have got wrong? And are you going to take back calling me a bigot? If not, then show me where I was a bigot.

Clydey thought it was mockery  so perhaps sarcasm is better employed in a situation between two people who know each other well.

Sarcasm is a form of mockery, and whether someone understands sarcasm depends on reading comprehension not familiarity.

It is also thought to be the lowest form of wit. 

Since it was too complex for you, I would have thought you might have realized that statement is false.

By the way in one of your

Not at all. It's not 1953.  Your grammar book is out of date.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7851 on: March 15, 2013, 10:53 PM »

I had not called you a bigot - that was suggested by someone else in another post.    First rule in a debate is get your facts right.    After you implied there were good and bad bigots I queried that, not realising it was meant as sarcasm.    Clydey thought it was mockery so perhaps sarcasm is better employed in a situation between two people who know each other well.   It is more easily understood then.   It is also thought to be the lowest form of wit.   While this remains a free country I will challenge whomsoever I wish to challenge and I hope you will not be too disappointed when I tell you I learned nothing new from your post.    By the way in one of your

You really don't want to start trolling grammar. The house you're living in is made of candy glass.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7852 on: March 16, 2013, 01:18 AM »

You really don't want to start trolling grammar. The house you're living in is made of candy glass.

Why not?    Life is about chances and I like a nice house full of light.     Nevertheless I should not
have said what I did but I felt I was being lectured.    The grammar is not out of date.    It has been adjusted to suit people who cannot be bothered to learn.   (That's for Dave)
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7853 on: March 16, 2013, 01:36 AM »

(That's for Dave)

If the grammar has "been adjusted" then it is necessarily out of date. Stop trying to be clever, it doesn't suit you.

When are you going to apologise for calling me a bigot, you coward?

IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7854 on: March 16, 2013, 11:08 AM »

If the grammar has "been adjusted" then it is necessarily out of date. Stop trying to be clever, it doesn't suit you.

When are you going to apologise for calling me a bigot, you coward?

Grammar is not out of date.   People say "I been" and I done"  and "by who" and it is understood by others.    This fulfils the purpose of language which is about communication but they are all grammatically incorrect.    For the last time I did not call you a bigot.   That was in another post to which you replied indicating that
you were a special kind of bigot and ereryone should be like you.     Therefore no apology and in any case I cannot make a connection between refusing to apologise and being a coward.    I gave up that type of namecalling in my primary school playground so that has no effect on me.   In one of your posts you threatened/offered to ignore me in future.     Please do.   Now Dave you can have the last word.    I have a life to be getting on with.    A nice walk in the snow seems on the cards.
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7855 on: March 16, 2013, 02:35 PM »

they are all grammatically incorrect

They are not incorrect. They are correct in their dialect. Grammar is a description.

Even in formal or academic written English, to use "whom" in certain sentences sounds stuffy.

IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7856 on: March 16, 2013, 02:42 PM »

For the last time I did not call you a bigot.

Split hairs if you must. You accused me of "showing the symptoms of bigotry." Back up this statement or retract it.

I cannot make a connection between refusing to apologise and being a coward

It is not being brave enough to realize the offence was on your part. It is not being brave enough to admit you were wrong.
[ Last edit by DaveH March 16, 2013, 02:47 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7857 on: March 16, 2013, 07:27 PM »

Quite shocking really

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21814325
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Thread « Reply #7858 on: March 17, 2013, 12:41 PM »

A father and a son have been found dead on the Mount Blanc massif in the Alps earlier this morning. It is believed the pair have been dead for over 48 hours, with the emergency services in the nearby area receiving a call from a man who informed them that his 12-year-old son had fallen down a crevasse and was out of reach. The emergency services tried to trace the man's phone but were unable too. The weather was extremely dangerous and it was a heavy price to pay. Tragic news.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7859 on: March 18, 2013, 12:20 AM »

A father and a son have been found dead on the Mount Blanc massif in the Alps earlier this morning. It is believed the pair have been dead for over 48 hours, with the emergency services in the nearby area receiving a call from a man who informed them that his 12-year-old son had fallen down a crevasse and was out of reach. The emergency services tried to trace the man's phone but were unable too. The weather was extremely dangerous and it was a heavy price to pay. Tragic news.

Whilst very tragic, I have heard reports that they were ill equiped for the journey they were undertaking. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 523 [524] 525 526 527 ... 610 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »