Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 526 [527] 528 529 530 ... 606 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 232195 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7890 on: April 16, 2013, 03:48 PM »

Iran, in the meantime, sees a major earthquake.

Iran has been struck by its most powerful earthquake for nearly 40 years, with tremors felt across Pakistan, India and the Middle East.

The epicentre of the 7.8 magnitude quake was near the south-east city of Khash, close to the Pakistani border, the US Geological Survey said.

Iranian state TV has reported at least 40 people killed.

At least five people died in Pakistan, near the border with Iran, hospital and local government officials said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22168202
According to a Reuters' update at 3:30 pm BST "hundreds" are feared dead - http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/16/us-iran-quake-idUSBRE93F0E120130416

Also from the same source -

This quake also shook tall buildings in India's capital New Delhi, sending people running into the streets, witnesses said. People also evacuated buildings in Qatar and Dubai, residents said.

"I was working and my work station was shaking," said Viidhu Sekhri, 35, an underwriter at a New Delhi insurance company. "Then it was a bit shaky so we just rushed outside."

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7891 on: April 16, 2013, 03:52 PM »

Tremors felt in India? Think

In Doha, all people were evacuated from my Dad's office. But it wasnt so severe in Qatar and Dubai it seems.

7.8 is pretty big though not as big as the top ten earthquakes in history.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7892 on: April 16, 2013, 03:59 PM »

Horrible.

There's also more bombings in Iraq today. Wish that was more of a surprise to me. At least 31 killed and 200 wounded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22149863

"The explosions were caused by 20 cars packed with explosives and three roadside bombs, AFP news agency reported."

Goodness, what is wrong with people.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7893 on: April 16, 2013, 05:51 PM »

"The explosions were caused by 20 cars packed with explosives and three roadside bombs, AFP news agency reported."

A lot.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7894 on: April 16, 2013, 07:08 PM »

Nothing that hasn't been going for decades, only we hear far more about it thanks to modern communications.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7895 on: April 16, 2013, 07:21 PM »

Three tragedies in 2 days, oh goodness.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7896 on: April 16, 2013, 07:23 PM »

Three tragedies in 2 days, oh goodness.
Yes it's a strange phenomenon that - how these things tend to happen one on top of the other, or is it just that we notice them more because of that fact? Think
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Thread « Reply #7897 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34 PM »

If you watch the I Survived show, which is based on true stories, on the Bio Channel and I suggest that you all do, you'd be surprised as to what human beings are truly capable of and those incidents have never to do with religion - ever. Individual incidents granted but just as deadly and very, very gruesome. And this is all in the US. I am sure all other countries have just as deadly individual occurrences and should have similar shows.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7898 on: April 16, 2013, 09:20 PM »

If you watch the I Survived show, which is based on true stories, on the Bio Channel and I suggest that you all do, you'd be surprised as to what human beings are truly capable of and those incidents have never to do with religion - ever. Individual incidents granted but just as deadly and very, very gruesome. And this is all in the US. I am sure all other countries have just as deadly individual occurrences and should have similar shows.
I don't get the Bio Channel but there is one channel which recently ran two series - one was "Couples Who Kill" and the other "The World's Worst Murders".  I watched two episodes of the latter and that was more than enough to convince me (if I wasn't already) just what terrible things human beings can do to each other - and viewers were treated to truly stomach-turning images as well.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 16, 2013, 09:28 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7899 on: April 16, 2013, 09:21 PM »

I don't get the Bio Channel but there is one channel which recently ran two series - one was "People Who Kill" and the other "The World's Worst Murders".  I watched two episodes of the latter and that was more than enough to convince me (if I wasn't already) just what terrible things human beings can do to each other.

What were the two episodes about? Without sounding morbid I'm a bit of a crime buff and fanatic, I show a passion for crime literature etc.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7900 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55 PM »

What were the two episodes about? Without sounding morbid I'm a bit of a crime buff and fanatic, I show a passion for crime literature etc.
Well the first was about this man in Australia who liked to give back-packers a lift, only instead of taking them where they wanted to go, he took them into the bush, tied them up and either shot them or stabbed them several times.  The police spent two years trying to track him down but it was only after his 11th victim that they managed to do so.  Basically he just got too confident and carried out his last murder fairly near a main road through the bush, so the body was discovered quickly and samples of DNA, which turned out to belong to him (the police did have him earmarked as a suspect) were found on the body before it had time to decompose.  Viewers were shown film of previous severely decomposed and mutilated corpses, btw.

The second episode was about a serial killer in South Africa who lived in a shanty town outside Durban.  His method was to entice young local women into vast fields of some kind of crop (can't remember what), sexually abuse them, then tie them up and strangle them.  What puzzled the police, and the criminal psychologist who was involved, was the fact that the type of ligature used was never the same.  Anyway he managed to murder 23 women in a space of a few months before he was finally caught in the act, the police having mounted a huge surveillance operation over and around the area in question.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7901 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00 PM »

Well the first was about this man in Australia who liked to give back-packers a lift, only instead of taking them where they wanted to go, he took them into the bush, tied them up and either shot them or stabbed them several times.  The police spent two years trying to track him down but it was only after his 11th victim that they managed to do so.  Basically he just got too confident and carried out his last murder fairly near a main road through the bush, so the body was discovered quickly and samples of DNA, which turned out to belong to him (the police did have him earmarked as a suspect) were found on the body before it had time to decompose.  Viewers were shown film of previous severely decomposed and mutilated corpses, btw.

The second episode was about a serial killer in South Africa who lived in a shanty town outside Durban.  His method was to entice young local women into vast fields of some kind of crop (can't remember what), sexually abuse them, then tie them up and strangle them.  What puzzled the police, and the criminal psychologist who was involved, was the fact that the type of ligature used was never the same.  Anyway he managed to murder 23 women in a space of a few months before he was finally caught in the act, the police having mounted a huge surveillance operation over and around the area in question.

There's been a few similar to this everywhere. I used to love watching murder mysteries and documentaries.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7902 on: April 16, 2013, 10:02 PM »

There's been a few similar to this everywhere. I used to love watching murder mysteries and documentaries.
I just decided to copy that over by PM because not everyone wants to read that kind of stuff, so was going to delete it - so just ignore the PM.  I doubt if anyone really wants to read it anyway, unless EJ does.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 16, 2013, 10:05 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Thread « Reply #7903 on: April 17, 2013, 09:10 AM »

Blast in Bangalore today. At least 16 injured.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/bangalore-lpg-blast-near-bjp-office-6-injured/385926-37-64.html
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: News Thread « Reply #7904 on: April 17, 2013, 11:02 AM »

To change the subject away from bombings briefly, the NZ parliament has just this evening voted same sex marriage in.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 526 [527] 528 529 530 ... 606 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »