Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 529 [530] 531 532 533 ... 604 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 230522 times)
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: News Thread « Reply #7935 on: April 24, 2013, 12:12 AM »

Holly ****! That's a costly hack!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7936 on: April 25, 2013, 02:38 AM »

Meanwhile disasters continue to occur.  At least 87 people are believed to have died in what was an avoidable tragedy in Bangladesh.  I think it's high time that British firms who are supplied with clothing from these factories had a more careful look at their conditions, given that only five months ago 112 people died in a fire in a clothing factory there which was also unsafe.

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/dozens-dead-in-building-collapse

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #7937 on: April 25, 2013, 06:53 AM »

Primark's clothes are so absurdly cheap, goodness how much they pay their workers.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7938 on: April 25, 2013, 03:28 PM »

Primark's clothes are so absurdly cheap, goodness how much they pay their workers.
That thought had crossed my mind as well, and equally cheap Matalan too, whose supplier was also involved in this tragedy.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #7939 on: April 28, 2013, 07:23 AM »

Anyone feeling, as I do, that Government changes to child care provision, are wrong please sign this.
 https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/45887
When they get 100 thous, it triggers a formal debate in HOC.
Thanx.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7940 on: April 28, 2013, 09:00 AM »

Done BBH, but why are they doing this?
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7941 on: April 28, 2013, 11:02 AM »

"A supermarket chain has withdrawn bags of nuts - after failing to declare they may contain peanuts.

The Food Standards Agency issued an allergy alert saying the presence of peanuts was not declared on Booths' own brand packets of monkey nuts.

The supermarket has removed 300 packets of 350g Whole Hearted Roasted Monkey Nuts from its shelves.

Booths has apologised and warned customers with a peanut allergy not to consume the product."

Really! I know this is a deadly serious allergy - but is it just me or is it not a bit obvious monkey nuts contain nuts! The world has gone mad - all due to McDonalds 'failing' to label coffee as hot.

Whistle
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7942 on: April 28, 2013, 11:49 AM »

It's a mad, mad world that we live in. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #7943 on: April 28, 2013, 12:58 PM »

Thanx Caz  hug because I guess 1) saving money and 2) childcare is a very low priority
Interesting the different groups that are against the changes.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #7944 on: April 28, 2013, 06:20 PM »

"A supermarket chain has withdrawn bags of nuts - after failing to declare they may contain peanuts.

The Food Standards Agency issued an allergy alert saying the presence of peanuts was not declared on Booths' own brand packets of monkey nuts.

The supermarket has removed 300 packets of 350g Whole Hearted Roasted Monkey Nuts from its shelves.

Booths has apologised and warned customers with a peanut allergy not to consume the product."

Really! I know this is a deadly serious allergy - but is it just me or is it not a bit obvious monkey nuts contain nuts! The world has gone mad - all due to McDonalds 'failing' to label coffee as hot.

Whistle

God, not this myth again.

The case against McDonald's was actually a valid one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

79 year old woman suffered 3rd and 4th degree burns due to the fact that McDonald's overheated their coffee to a blistering 180–190 °F.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7945 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21 AM »

^ Anyone daft enough to try to hold a hot cardboard or plastic cup between their knees in order to open it is asking to get scalded, so there's a good element of contributory negligence here, which is why, as is stated in the article, the tort reformists were supporting McDonalds.  Had such a case gone to court in the UK the judge would automatically have taken that negligence into account and significantly reduced the amount of damages claimed.

Really! I know this is a deadly serious allergy - but is it just me or is it not a bit obvious monkey nuts contain nuts! The world has gone mad ...
It isn't really so stupid Westie because a peanut botanically speaking isn't a nut, despite its appearance, but is a species of the bean family.  Also the 'nuts' grow beneath the ground, unlike almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc, which grow on trees and so are called tree nuts.  

Tree nuts don't set off an allergic reaction, although some people have what's known as a food sensitivity to them - which basically means that they might make them feel slightly unwell.  It's the proteins contained only in peanuts which cause an abnormal reaction of the immune system, i.e. it sees these proteins as being a threat and so, in order to fight it off, produces a substance which can cause anything from mild gastric distress, such as heartburn or an upset stomach, through to skin rashes, difficulty breathing, accelerated heart rate in severe case, and in extreme cases, anaphylaxis, which is a state of unconsciousness that can rapidly lead to coma and death.  In severe cases the person must be immediately treated with epinephrine to suppress the immune system response, which is why many people with this and other severe allergies such as to fish, milk, gluten (found in wheat, barley and rye), strawberries and bee stings, carry allergy kits.

Also the peanut is known by different names, depending on the locality, such as earthnuts, ground nuts, goober peas, monkey nuts, pygmy nuts and pig nuts, so the onus is on the packagers of these nuts to display the appropriate warning, although as far as I know, in the UK they're only also known as ground or monkey nuts.  While it's reasonable to expect that somebody with a peanut allergy would be aware of that, the Food Standards Agency still insists that packets of these nuts be clearly labelled as containing peanuts, and that's what Booths failed to do.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #7946 on: April 29, 2013, 06:41 PM »

Tree nuts don't set off an allergic reaction..

I can assure you they do, Aileen.

My son is specifically anaphylactic to pecans and carries an Epipen.
He avoids all products which may contain nuts just to be safe.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7947 on: April 29, 2013, 07:12 PM »

I can assure you they do, Aileen.

My son is specifically anaphylactic to pecans and carries an Epipen.
He avoids all products which may contain nuts just to be safe.
Thanks for the correction Linda.  I was only going by info I'd looked at online.

[ Last edit by Aileen April 29, 2013, 07:23 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #7948 on: April 29, 2013, 07:16 PM »

^ No probs, Aileen. It is a subject close to my heart.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7949 on: April 29, 2013, 07:26 PM »

^ No probs, Aileen. It is a subject close to my heart.
hug

What puzzles me though is that, until about 30 years ago, nut allergies were rarely heard about in the UK, now it seems that 1 person in every 100 has a peanut allergy, and 1 in 200 a tree nut allergy, and it seems the number allergic to peanuts is growing - at least according to this article, which I didn't see last night - http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Nut-Allergy.htm

Are our immune systems becoming more sensitive because we live in a supposedly cleaner environment, or is it just the case that people in general eat more nuts than they used to because so many varieties are now readily available? 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 529 [530] 531 532 533 ... 604 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »