Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 1 Member and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 530 [531] 532 533 534 ... 603 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 228968 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #7950 on: April 29, 2013, 07:39 PM »

^Wish I knew. Shrug
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7951 on: April 29, 2013, 08:08 PM »

^Wish I knew. Shrug
So do doctors and scientists apparently.  From what I've read they seem to be floundering around in the dark here, and these were just two of the theories that were mentioned, but it's quite a concern given that nut allergy is considered to be the worst one around - and, like other allergies, you can develop it at any time.

Nothing serious, but I've now developed an allergy to nickel, which means I can't wear any jewelry unless it's gold or silver (which I don't possess).  I couldn't understand why a bracelet I've worn for a few years was suddenly making my skin come out in small itchy red lumps, so went to see my GP and he told that that's what it was.  Weird!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7952 on: April 30, 2013, 07:40 AM »

hug

What puzzles me though is that, until about 30 years ago, nut allergies were rarely heard about in the UK, now it seems that 1 person in every 100 has a peanut allergy, and 1 in 200 a tree nut allergy, and it seems the number allergic to peanuts is growing - at least according to this article, which I didn't see last night - http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Nut-Allergy.htm

Are our immune systems becoming more sensitive because we live in a supposedly cleaner environment, or is it just the case that people in general eat more nuts than they used to because so many varieties are now readily available? 

I suspect our immune systems will be a factor along the way and the constant antibiotic pushed peoples way - my friends grandson has probably had more antibiotics in his short life (18 months) than I have had in my life! He's on his second course in 2 weeks since I lasted visited. Processed food might be worth considering too.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #7953 on: April 30, 2013, 02:46 PM »

I suspect our immune systems will be a factor along the way and the constant antibiotic pushed peoples way - my friends grandson has probably had more antibiotics in his short life (18 months) than I have had in my life! He's on his second course in 2 weeks since I lasted visited. Processed food might be worth considering too.

Poor wee lad, hope he gets better soon, Bev.
Antibiotics were frowned upon to give to kids when my son was growing up (and still are) in order to build their own immune system. He has had a couple of courses in his lifetime, but other than that, no.
He's had a good balanced diet. Processed food not really an issue, and he's always been pretty healthy.

I personally think it's environmental..which of course would affect our food chain.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7954 on: April 30, 2013, 09:50 PM »

Was chatting to my son about it last night - he's currently study for his masters in science with an interest in genetics, and he thinks that as we treat more people with allergies, rather than them dying (as in a long time ago) then the gene is being passed on rather than it dying with that person, therefore more cases being talked about.

I can't harp on enough about pro-biotics during/after a course of anitbiotics to my friend (yes, you can get kid friendly stuff now) to help him but falls on deaf ears sometimes.  They were told that his iron needs building up so they gave more chicken confused  I would have though red meat more appropriate or even iron rich vegetables. dontknow  I would suggest liver but that seems to be a lesser used meat these days.  I remember fondly my school dinners of liver, onions and a sausage wrapped in bacon Little tongue man
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7955 on: May 01, 2013, 02:28 AM »

Was chatting to my son about it last night - he's currently study for his masters in science with an interest in genetics, and he thinks that as we treat more people with allergies, rather than them dying (as in a long time ago) then the gene is being passed on rather than it dying with that person, therefore more cases being talked about.

I can't harp on enough about pro-biotics during/after a course of anitbiotics to my friend (yes, you can get kid friendly stuff now) to help him but falls on deaf ears sometimes.  They were told that his iron needs building up so they gave more chicken confused  I would have though red meat more appropriate or even iron rich vegetables. dontknow  I would suggest liver but that seems to be a lesser used meat these days. I remember fondly my school dinners of liver, onions and a sausage wrapped in bacon Little tongue man
Ooh lucky you!  I remember meals of horrible-smelling fish potato pie (you had to watch out for the bones), watery mince and potatoes with soggy cabbage, and macaroni cheese - the biggest disaster being the day the cook put sugar in it instead of salt.  As there was no such thing as a choice, we just had to try and eat it (revolting!) or go without.  Fortunately we always got soup and a pudding as well.

It's very interesting what your son has to say, but are allergies normally passed on from one generation to the next, or maybe even skipping a generation or two?  I guess scientists won't find out for a long time to come when the allergy histories of families can eventually be studied.

I'm very grateful that in the UK doctors have wised up to the consequences of the over-use of oral antibiotics.  Even when it's necessary that they be prescribed it's usually for the minimum amount of time, i.e. 5 days, whereas before the norm was 7 days.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #7956 on: May 01, 2013, 09:59 AM »

I can't harp on enough about pro-biotics during/after a course of anitbiotics to my friend (yes, you can get kid friendly stuff now) to help him but falls on deaf ears sometimes.  They were told that his iron needs building up so they gave more chicken confused  I would have though red meat more appropriate or even iron rich vegetables. dontknow  I would suggest liver but that seems to be a lesser used meat these days.  I remember fondly my school dinners of liver, onions and a sausage wrapped in bacon Little tongue man
Oh how I wish doctors would recommend pro-biotics after a course of anti-biotics, but of course they're not on prescription and so they just don't seem to bother.  However, to those of you who are interested in using pro-biotics, I would suggest a really good strain should be used to get maximum benefit.  You get what you pay for, such as BioCare's Replete..
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #7957 on: May 01, 2013, 01:08 PM »

Bill Roache  has just been arrested on suspicion of raping a 15 year old girl in 1967!
[ Last edit by Caz May 01, 2013, 01:15 PM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Thread « Reply #7958 on: May 01, 2013, 01:53 PM »

Bill Roache  has just been arrested on suspicion of raping a 15 year old girl in 1967!

No way... What's going on Frown
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7959 on: May 01, 2013, 02:08 PM »

God only knows Angie....I reckon there's more to come! There must be lots of high profile guys out there, just dreading a knock on the door!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #7960 on: May 01, 2013, 02:13 PM »

God only knows Angie....I reckon there's more to come! There must be lots of high profile guys out there, just dreading a knock on the door!

I know! You just don't know what to believe anymore, why is it taking all these years for stuff to come out...
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7961 on: May 01, 2013, 02:23 PM »

Well, if we remember that most of these people were just kids when this happened, I'd think a lot of them would be scared to speak out! Some may have done and not been believed. Some may have been threatened or even believed that somehow it was their own fault!  no We do know that some did report it to the police and nothing was done! 
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #7962 on: May 01, 2013, 02:48 PM »

Awful business Frown
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #7963 on: May 01, 2013, 05:16 PM »

It just proves the point that the police are not take interested or do not believe kids who complain about sexual assault how many are now coming to life now. Perhaps the police should be less dismissive when told about sexual assault from teenagers or younger kids. Look at this lot of so called celebs that are crawling out the woodwork now. Just shows that these young people were not listed to. Serves them right I hope the police get all of them and they have the appropriate punishment dished out.
[ Last edit by Littlebuddha May 01, 2013, 05:25 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #7964 on: May 02, 2013, 12:54 AM »

It's now known that he faces two charges of raping the same girl. 

Well, if we remember that most of these people were just kids when this happened, I'd think a lot of them would be scared to speak out! Some may have done and not been believed. Some may have been threatened or even believed that somehow it was their own fault!  no We do know that some did report it to the police and nothing was done! 
While I agree with that, I also think that celebrities are now wide open to allegations of sexual abuse, whether the complaints are true or not.  Some people will do anything in the hope of getting financial reward, i.e. by way of compensation.   Also I would very much like to know just what evidence the police have that can be relied on 46 years after these rapes allegedly took place.  If the girl in question did report them to the police at the time, then the police involved  should be charged with negligence, assuming that they're still alive.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 530 [531] 532 533 534 ... 603 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »