Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 536 [537] 538 539 540 ... 578 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Thread  (Read 214458 times)
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8040 on: May 25, 2013, 12:35 AM »

Yes, but what about foreigners who come to the UK just so as they can leech off our NHS which is stretched to the limit?  If people wish to be treated here then, unless it's an emergency, they should have to pay for it either out of their own pockets or through health insurance schemes.

I don't know about other countries, but I had to show proof of international health insurance when I was studying in the UK for less than 6 months.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Thread « Reply #8041 on: May 25, 2013, 12:39 AM »

Yes, but what about foreigners who come to the UK just so as they can leech off our NHS?  No wonder it seems to be permanently in a state of crisis.  If people wish to be treated here then, unless it's an emergency, they should have to pay for it either out of their own pockets or through health insurance schemes.
It's funny.  I see so many lazy Brits with bleeding hearts and so many excuses not to work.  | see Eastern Europeans willing to do very hard work - this is the reason they deserve - they are not afraid to get their hands dirty - unlike the British louts.  Who deserves?  It's not rocket science.  Your nationality does't afford you any right.  What you contribute does.
[ Last edit by Elly May 25, 2013, 12:49 AM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8042 on: May 25, 2013, 12:57 AM »

I spent the first 21 years of my life in Charlton and Woolwich was where I had my schooldays "Saturday job" in a shoe shop.  I shopped in Woolwich, went to the pictures (cinema) in Woolwich, drank hot chocolate in the Wimpy Bar in Woolwich, learned to swim at the incredibly old-fashioned swimming baths in Woolwich, went back and forth on the Woolwich ferry just for fun.  What happened in Woolwich on Wednesday makes me sick to the back teeth.  I don't even recognise the place anymore.  London - you're welcome to it.  Thank God I don't live there now. 

I live in London and have brought up two children here, now in their early 20s. In their small 210 pupil primary school, there were 32 different languages spoken, probably more at secondary level. That's our normal. It's a cosmopolitan city and we love it. Close family members include both emigrants and immigrants.

With a population of 8 million there are going to be nutcases and there are going to be murders - as there are in all other parts of the country and always have been. Frankly some of the old established local families are far more scary than more recent immigrants.

The Woolwich case is horrific, but it's not normal. Media coverage has obviously been huge, whereas, for example, the case tennis_girl has highlighted got very little attention. The machete guy is British born from a Christian family. Muslims along with everyone else have condemned his actions. I'll never forget the day of the 7/7 bombings, which were very local to me and when I had to walk across a shut down London to collect my children from school. I'll also never forget the fantastic response from Londoners. The bombers made a big mistake by targeting typical Londoners, who turned out to be from such a wide range of ethnic backgrounds.

It seems Aileen has horrible memories of London from the 60s, and FCR good ones. In 1980 I left sedate Surrey for south and later central London. No regrets.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8043 on: May 25, 2013, 01:45 AM »

It seems Aileen has horrible memories of London from the 60s, and FCR good ones. In 1980 I left sedate Surrey for south and later central London. No regrets.
They weren't all horrible, Elena.  I do have some good ones as well.  It's just that unfortunately the bad ones tended to outweigh them when the current topic of this thread was being discussed.  But it is true that I was never really happy living in London.  I'm just not a big city and bright lights person.  Edinburgh suits me fine, but with a population of only half a million it's almost a quiet backwater compared to London.  That doesn't mean to say though that we don't have our own nutters, rapists and murderers.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 25, 2013, 01:48 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8044 on: May 25, 2013, 05:13 AM »

I don't know about other countries, but I had to show proof of international health insurance when I was studying in the UK for less than 6 months.

We had to show my son's passport (that's where our resident visa is) 3 times when he received treatment at the local hospital about 2 years ago. Luckily we had kept it up to date. We do have private health insurance too, just in case any treatment isn't covered under our the health system here. I don't ever remember showing my passport for treatment in the UK or know of anyone being asked for it. All appointments to the local doctor's surgery have to be paid for, irrespective of nationality, though a community card will give you a reduced rate. No idea of the qualifying criteria for that. At $45 a time, visits are kept to the minimum but was never a frequent visitor in the UK.  Accidents and subsequent treatment are covered here, including any operations and rehabilitation costs such as physio.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8045 on: May 25, 2013, 05:24 AM »

It's funny.  I see so many lazy Brits with bleeding hearts and so many excuses not to work.  | see Eastern Europeans willing to do very hard work - this is the reason they deserve - they are not afraid to get their hands dirty - unlike the British louts.  Who deserves?  It's not rocket science.  Your nationality does't afford you any right.  What you contribute does.

I've read a few stories recently of some ladies in Scotland that will be relocating to England to receive cancer treatment as its not funded in Scotland. That doesn't seem right either. Not the relocating part, the fact that they can't receive treatment in their area. Postcode lottery with the NHS continues.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8046 on: May 25, 2013, 07:16 AM »

@Elly
There was a dreadfully embarrassing, if you're British, prog a while ago about some long term unemployed who were complaining bitterly that "foreigners" had taken their jobs and they wanted nothing more than to be given a chance.
12 were chosen and put into jobs that the "foreigners" were doing eg factory/fruit picking. Hmmm, they didn't last long. Some didn't even turn up on time on the first day, or turn up come to that.
Meanwhile the "foreigners" just got on with the job.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8047 on: May 25, 2013, 07:32 AM »

That's disgraceful, but not surprising, considering how easy it is to get a free handout in this country!
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8048 on: May 25, 2013, 07:54 AM »

I live in London and have brought up two children here, now in their early 20s. In their small 210 pupil primary school, there were 32 different languages spoken, probably more at secondary level. That's our normal. It's a cosmopolitan city and we love it. Close family members include both emigrants and immigrants.

With a population of 8 million there are going to be nutcases and there are going to be murders - as there are in all other parts of the country and always have been. Frankly some of the old established local families are far more scary than more recent immigrants.

The Woolwich case is horrific, but it's not normal. Media coverage has obviously been huge, whereas, for example, the case tennis_girl has highlighted got very little attention. The machete guy is British born from a Christian family. Muslims along with everyone else have condemned his actions. I'll never forget the day of the 7/7 bombings, which were very local to me and when I had to walk across a shut down London to collect my children from school. I'll also never forget the fantastic response from Londoners. The bombers made a big mistake by targeting typical Londoners, who turned out to be from such a wide range of ethnic backgrounds.

Although we live 130 miles from London, my husband is still a London black cab driver (35 years), working nights, and he sees a very different side to the cosmopolitan life you speak of.  He spent the first 35 years of his life in Catford and Tooting and he wouldn't LIVE in the capital again if you paid him.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8049 on: May 25, 2013, 10:59 AM »

I lived in London for over two years in '70/72. Those were the days of the miner's strikes, when we always had to keep candles close to hand and would be left wthout heat or light, for hours at a time most days. The railways had regular strikes too, forcing us to endure a bus ride....sometimes 3 hours long, because the traffic was so heavy, just to get into work! Those were the days when shops in Oxford Street [where I worked] were under constant threat of bomb attacks and regularly had to be evacuated due to 'scares'! However, they were also the days of Biba, Mary Quant and Ossie Clark. They were the days of the miniskirt....the maxi, hot pants, black lipstick and barrowboy caps , the wet look, tiedyed T shirts, platform shoes and Hari Krishna and I adored every minute of it. I got to meet many famous people in my work, including Kenneth Williams, Mrs. (I've edited because her first name was not allowed,  Rolling Eyes ) Craddock and Billie Whitelaw, to name but a few. Unfortunately, I missed Liz Taylor, because it was my day off! I lived on the edge of Blackheath, which was a wonderful place to walk on a Sunday back then. My new husband and I would often take a picnic and sometimes we'd cross the heath in the evening, to visit the friendly pub on the other side. I also remember gazing in the window of the fascinating shop which sold old books. I loved working in Oxford Street and seeing the tourists in their strange, but wonderful garb......the Eastern ladies in their beautiful costumes, sometimes with jewels in there noses or bellybuttons and designs painted on the soles of their feet. I loved the diversity.......the hustle bustle.....the sheer excitement of it all! I have many, many wonderful memories of London, but these days, I have to say I'd never want to live there again!
[ Last edit by Caz May 25, 2013, 11:03 AM ] IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8050 on: May 25, 2013, 11:25 AM »

I lived in London for over two years in '70/72. <SNIP> I loved the diversity.......the hustle bustle.....the sheer excitement of it all! I have many, many wonderful memories of London, but these days, I have to say I'd never want to live there again!
Your post awakened memories.  The pub on the edge of Blackheath - The Prince of Wales, by the duck pond and next to The Paragon.  I have photos of my son riding on the donkeys on the heath next to the gate into Greenwich Park, where my husband had just played cricket and we drank afterwards with the home team at The Prince of Wales.  I bought a fabulous black wet look very mini dress in about 1970 from the boutique Clobber in Blackheath Village owned by Jeff Banks.  I went to the Roan Grammar School - the girls' school was in Devonshire Drive and the boys' in Maze Hill - areas you probably remember.  I had various jobs in Blackheath Hill, Greenwich High Road and College Row.  Happy memories of yesteryear, but I wouldn't go back.

This morning I walked my amazing 11th Flatcoated Retriever down a country lane with no traffic because of the ford, and across fields to say hello to the cows waiting at the gate.  You don't get that in SE3.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8051 on: May 25, 2013, 11:25 AM »

Although we live 130 miles from London, my husband is still a London black cab driver (35 years), working nights, and he sees a very different side to the cosmopolitan life you speak of.  He spent the first 35 years of his life in Catford and Tooting and he wouldn't LIVE in the capital again if you paid him.

Ah Catford! We lived in a shabby flat above a betting shop on the Broadway when we first moved to London. We had to walk through our downstairs neighbour's flat to get to ours - very quietly if it was about 3am after getting the night bus or a minicab home from the West End, New Cross, or Hackney! She didn't seem to mind though - quite liked the company I think.

I'd say I've seen quite a lot of sides to cosmopolitan London. Living here, working, using public transport, sending my kids to inner city state schools. I haven't been in some protected bubble.

The last thing I want to do is persuade anybody to live here that doesn't want to. But I'd rather my city wasn't mis-represented as somewhere where "murders are two-a-penny" etc
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8052 on: May 25, 2013, 11:30 AM »

I live in London and have brought up two children here, now in their early 20s. <SNIP>
In 1980 I left sedate Surrey for south and later central London. No regrets.

That sounds more like Wentworth than New Addington?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8053 on: May 25, 2013, 11:41 AM »

I wouldn't fancy living in London at all even with the lifestyle I would imagine it would be difficult to make friends. Some may think aw a typical Scot. I left UK aged 21 and went to Australia and settled in Melbourne I had lots of friends and never felt out of place. Melbourne has a large population but the town cenetre is not really so big it felt quite intimate. Yes the suburbs are sprawling but there are good transport systems into town. In the summer when it was hot you were never to far from the sea. I loved the lifestyle and would still like to go back but not able to because of mine and my huband's health problems.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8054 on: May 25, 2013, 11:47 AM »

<SNIP>
The last thing I want to do is persuade anybody to live here that doesn't want to. But I'd rather my city wasn't mis-represented as somewhere where "murders are two-a-penny" etc
"Evening Standard
14 January 2011
Fewer people were murdered in London last year than at any time since 1978, new figures reveal today.
The Metropolitan Police said 125 victims died violently, down from 132 the previous year."

I'll change 2-a-penny to an average of 2-a-week.  Still not good.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 536 [537] 538 539 540 ... 578 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »