Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 551 [552] 553 554 555 ... 608 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 235096 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8265 on: July 26, 2013, 08:29 PM »

I am actually a royalist, I think having a royal family in the way we do gives this country something that many other countries seem quite envious of.  I like the history of it all, and the pageantry.  I think the monarchy give a great deal of pleasure to a great many people.  You only have to see the crowds that turned out for the royal wedding (I wasn't one of them). Equally however I would like it trimmed down a lot. I think we need the monarch + consort, the heir, and a spare, and a couple of back ups. Once the queen is no more, I think we should have Charles with or without Camila, William plus Kate and the new prince, plus Harry. Freeloaders like the loathsome Andrew and his jumped up brats need to get jobs and support themselves.
I do believe we should still keep some of the traditional trappings of royalty.  There's nothing wrong with a bit of pageantry from time to time because it is so steeped in the history of this country, but it will have to come within the framework of a more hands-on monarchy.  Also it should be paid for out of the royal purse - and goodness knows the Queen has more than enough money to bequeath to her heirs to keep it going for decades, and Prince Charles isn't short of a few £££ either.

I agree about the hangers-on as well.  If other members of the royal family can't get a job, then they should either do voluntary work, like Princess Anne does, or go on the dole same as everyone else.

IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8266 on: July 26, 2013, 09:12 PM »

a number of
Presidents are usually politicians who have been elected to that office, so I don't see how they can be apolitical.  Also they have powers that they can use irrespective of the legislative body, and that is something I find quite worrying.

A president does not have to be a politician.   There are various means of selecting (or electing) a president and the main duties would be ceremonial.    Any powers would be limited by a written constitution and in any case the power of patronage is strong and always present.    I repeat David Cameron would NOT be the president.   He would still be prime minister.   
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8267 on: July 26, 2013, 10:38 PM »

Awkward.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8268 on: July 26, 2013, 11:00 PM »

Who gives a shite? We'll all be rolling in our graves by the time he becomes King.

Get over it people.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8269 on: July 27, 2013, 07:01 AM »

@Prod
No-one is compelling u to join in the discussion.
@Aileen
Problem with Charles is that he is very far from this a-political lofty, ideal monarch who casts a benign eye over proceedings and merely offers some whispered advice when asked.
He interferes all over the place.
I actually feel immensely sorry for him. What kind of life is it, waiting for your ma to die so you can at last get a proper job.
No wonder he's barking. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8270 on: July 27, 2013, 07:44 AM »

Well spotted Caz! lol

I suspect a lot of Scots are also ignorant of that fact, especially as Alexander III died in 1286 (as a result of falling off his horse), although it was his premature death, without a direct heir, which sparked off a period of instability in Scotland and gave rise to the Wars of Independence against the English.

I believe the British monarchy will continue but not in its present form.  I can see it eventually becoming like it is in other European countries, i.e. where the monarch actually works for a living and is much more touch with his/her subjects, and can also more easily relinquish the throne, i.e. retire as they would in any other job either through age or illness.

Thought for the day - if Britain was a republic now, then it would be presided over by David Cameron. Whistle

To be honest Aileen......I've always thought initials are important and bore them in mind when naming my children. I seriously wonder if William and Kate even realise.....or maybe don't think it matters! I suppose we should be grateful they haven't named him William Alexander Norbert Kevin!  Whistle
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8271 on: July 27, 2013, 01:15 PM »

Ill tell you what upsets me about monarchy the queen has a large personal fortune. She should pay for the work on her palaces I don't know if the one she resides in are her property or property of the state. She also gets an allowance for people who come on state visits which is fair enough but anything she owns she should pay for herself. The way I look at it ordinary people have to pay for everything and according to Mr Osbourne we are all having a better standard of living what a load of tosh. Lets say that if we all lived like the royals everything in the garden would be lovely. Whistle Whistle Whistle
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8272 on: July 27, 2013, 01:39 PM »

Margaret.....the only homes the Queen owns are Balmoral and Sandringham. She pays for the upkeep of those herself.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8273 on: July 28, 2013, 02:18 AM »

@Aileen
Problem with Charles is that he is very far from this a-political lofty, ideal monarch who casts a benign eye over proceedings and merely offers some whispered advice when asked.
He interferes all over the place.
I actually feel immensely sorry for him. What kind of life is it, waiting for your ma to die so you can at last get a proper job.
No wonder he's barking. Rolling Eyes
I know he does, but I didn't have him in mind when I made my comment.  The way the Queen is going PC could well predecease her anyway!

To be honest Aileen......I've always thought initials are important and bore them in mind when naming my children. I seriously wonder if William and Kate even realise.....or maybe don't think it matters! I suppose we should be grateful they haven't named him William Alexander Norbert Kevin!  Whistle
lol  I suspect they didn't realise, because from some names I've come across I've a feeling that the last thing most parents think about is what the initials stand for, and I've known two people who refuse to divulge their middle name for that very reason.

[ Last edit by Aileen July 28, 2013, 02:25 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8274 on: August 01, 2013, 06:36 PM »

Hooray yay yay yay Lewisham Hospital. Some good news! yay yay yay
Sack Jeremy Hunt!

IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8275 on: August 02, 2013, 04:19 PM »

Who gives a shite? We'll all be rolling in our graves by the time he becomes King.

Get over it people.

you speak for yourself im only young thank you xxx
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8276 on: August 02, 2013, 05:13 PM »

you speak for yourself im only young thank you xxx

I'm 20, I'm unlikely to be alive when that Baby becomes king at 85
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Thread « Reply #8277 on: August 02, 2013, 05:20 PM »

Who gives a ****  Fingers and tongue.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8278 on: August 02, 2013, 07:34 PM »

Well I sure won't Angie Ill be long gone. I have the same feelings as you who give a .....
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8279 on: August 02, 2013, 08:53 PM »

Given Prince William's age Baby George could well become king at 50, when you'd be 70, assuming you live that long!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 551 [552] 553 554 555 ... 608 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »