Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 562 [563] 564 565 566 ... 594 Go Down Reply
Author

News Thread

(Read 223680 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8430 on: September 22, 2013, 03:16 PM »

I agree.  Even if all, or the majority of, other UN members strongly oppose this gun culture, I can't see America bowing to that pressure.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Thread « Reply #8431 on: September 22, 2013, 03:27 PM »

It makes you wonder about their values they seem quite prepared to condone loss of innocent lives. I know the right to bear arms is part of the constitution. How can they they continue like that, do they not value lives. These killings will have to stop if it happened overseas they would be up in arms about it.I think it is time for a change of attitude they have to start soon to many lives are being lost without any purpose.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8432 on: September 22, 2013, 04:05 PM »

What really gets me is the imperialism so prevalent in US foreign policy, and British I hasten to add. Their own back yard needs cleaning up first, before they start on any one else's.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8433 on: September 22, 2013, 04:42 PM »

Americans appear to be much like us but mark my words they are not.Their constitution means a great deal to them.On the one hand they shed tears for the killings but on the other hand will not give up their (God given rights).Every day here people are shot and murdered many more than you see on the 6 oclock news. The right  to bear arms i believe meant war not this constant killing .
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Thread « Reply #8434 on: September 22, 2013, 06:40 PM »

@iamabritt
An American friend came to stay, casually asked if I kept a gun in the house shocking
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8435 on: September 22, 2013, 06:49 PM »

What really gets me is the imperialism so prevalent in US foreign policy, and British I hasten to add. Their own back yard needs cleaning up first, before they start on any one else's.
Totally agree BBH.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: News Thread « Reply #8436 on: September 22, 2013, 07:14 PM »

@iamabritt
An American friend came to stay, casually asked if I kept a gun in the house shocking
First thing my grandson said after Bob died, Nana you need a gun,...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8437 on: September 22, 2013, 07:53 PM »

First thing my grandson said after Bob died, Nana you need a gun,...
Some thirty years ago my parents had a family from New Orleans as their neighbours.  When they first arrived, the husband and wife were genuinely shocked to discover how 'lax' the British were about protecting themselves and also that the police were unarmed, except in certain prescribed circumstances, and even then that there was usually an inquiry held afterwards into the police actions.

It seems the American motto is "Shoot first.  Ask questions later" - assuming, of course, that the person is still alive to answer them - yet our police are often vilified for using Tasers (which originated in the US) to temporarily disable suspected criminals, and concerns are ongoing about 'inappropriate' Taser use by either careless or not properly trained officers, particularly as many Rights Groups see Tasers as being a precursor to our police being armed.

[ Last edit by Aileen September 22, 2013, 08:01 PM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8438 on: September 22, 2013, 10:27 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/girl-halloween-costume-mistaken-skunk-shot-cousin/story?id=17536625

An 8-year-old girl in New Sewickley Township, Pa., dressed for Halloween in a black costume and a black hat with a white feather was shot over the weekend by her cousin who thought she was a skunk.

The girl, whose name has not been released, was said to have been playing on a hillside when the home's owner, Janet Grant, mistook her for the noxious pest.

Police said Grant then asked her son, Thomas Grant, who police said was the victim's cousin, to shoot the pest.

According to the statement, Grant then retrieved a shotgun from the home. While his mother shined a flashlight at what they believed was a skunk, Thomas fired the gun, striking the still unidentified girl in the shoulder and abdomen.

The girl was flown by helicopter about 30 miles to Pittsburgh Children's Hospital, where she underwent surgery and where, according to police, she remains in critical condition.

-------
The above was a story I remembered from last year. The part I highlighted is why I don't think people should have guns.  That man had no real idea what he was preparing to shot and yet he still did it. Even if it were a skunk is that what people do? They just discharge weapons at will.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Thread « Reply #8439 on: September 22, 2013, 10:29 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/girl-halloween-costume-mistaken-skunk-shot-cousin/story?id=17536625

An 8-year-old girl in New Sewickley Township, Pa., dressed for Halloween in a black costume and a black hat with a white feather was shot over the weekend by her cousin who thought she was a skunk.

The girl, whose name has not been released, was said to have been playing on a hillside when the home's owner, Janet Grant, mistook her for the noxious pest.

Police said Grant then asked her son, Thomas Grant, who police said was the victim's cousin, to shoot the pest.

According to the statement, Grant then retrieved a shotgun from the home. While his mother shined a flashlight at what they believed was a skunk, Thomas fired the gun, striking the still unidentified girl in the shoulder and abdomen.

The girl was flown by helicopter about 30 miles to Pittsburgh Children's Hospital, where she underwent surgery and where, according to police, she remains in critical condition.

-------
The above was a story I remembered from last year. The part I highlighted is why I don't think people should have guns.  That man had no real idea what he was preparing to shot and yet he still did it. Even if it were a skunk is that what people do? They just discharge weapons at will.

The woman must be:

A) Blind.
B) A absolute uneducated dumbass.

It states she shined a flashlight on what she believed to be the skunk and she STILL couldn't see it was an innocent girl fooling around, unbelievable.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8440 on: September 22, 2013, 10:32 PM »

I just can't comprehend why you would purchase a gun for a child.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Thread « Reply #8441 on: September 22, 2013, 11:07 PM »

The woman must be:

A) Blind.
B) A absolute uneducated dumbass.

It states she shined a flashlight on what she believed to be the skunk and she STILL couldn't see it was an innocent girl fooling around, unbelievable.
No Conner ... just trigger-happy.  It's like what I said @07:53pm - 'Shoot first.  Ask questions later.'

I just can't comprehend why you would purchase a gun for a child.
Neither do I, despite the fact that my parents bought me one when I was a child because I wanted one so's I could play Cowboys and Indians.  But I'm talking about the early 1950s and it was only a small brown rubber imitation handgun, and a poor imitation at that, not one of these ghastly rifles.  I've seen young kids playing with them in the street, and they don't go round shouting "Bang, bang, you're dead!" like I and my chums did, because some of them do make a noise, albeit not very loud, like a rifle, including a repeating one, being fired.  Scary.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Thread « Reply #8442 on: September 22, 2013, 11:40 PM »

http://globalgrind.com/2013/02/06/real-guns-look-like-toys-photos/

Designing real guns to look like toys is why I don't see the guns laws in the US changing. They start them early.  Kids hunting and killing animals for fun. Just give them a cute little pink gun and they're all set.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #8443 on: September 22, 2013, 11:57 PM »

I posted this in another thread about a month ago, but seems worth repeating here..

This is a store I visited in St. Louis. I took some surreptitious pics because I couldn't believe the amount of kids there with their parents just casually pushing their shopping cart around as if they're in WalMart, and buying guns over the counter. This is a huge hunting store (forget the name) with thousands of rifles, but there's also all kinds of handguns for sale too.
I was blown away. Pardon the awful pun.

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Thread « Reply #8444 on: September 23, 2013, 12:09 AM »

No Conner ... just trigger-happy.  It's like what I said @07:53pm - 'Shoot first.  Ask questions later.'

Neither do I, despite the fact that my parents bought me one when I was a child because I wanted one so's I could play Cowboys and Indians.  But I'm talking about the early 1950s and it was only a small brown rubber imitation handgun, and a poor imitation at that, not one of these ghastly rifles.  I've seen young kids playing with them in the street, and they don't go round shouting "Bang, bang, you're dead!" like I and my chums did, because some of them do make a noise, albeit not very loud, like a rifle, including a repeating one, being fired.  Scary.

Although I know you were young and innocent, Aileen, and having child-like fun, have a think about how that would look nowadays:

A bunch of young kids running about the streets with imitation toy handguns playing Shoot The Indians - which in real life meant Let's kill the first nation peoples, let's introduce them to alcohol, steal their land, and kill them if they try to protect it.

You learned this play-acting of Cowboys and Indians through television and movies, but it perpetuated the myth of first nation peoples being the bad guys.

Even back then, you as a child were influenced by what you saw and heard. And even now, you still think it was just playing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 562 [563] 564 565 566 ... 594 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »