Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Politics

(Read 3968 times)
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 05:03 PM »

Well if everyone takes that attitude, nothing's every going to change...
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 05:05 PM »

I know bugger all about politics. That site you linked to is excellent, Laura.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 05:06 PM »

google
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 05:08 PM »

google

I'm not interested enough to google it. I was just] interested enough to click a link that was right in front of me.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 05:09 PM »

IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 05:13 PM »

We've had this discusssion before. What I do won't make a blind bit of difference. And yes, I know you're going to hit back with "...but what if everyone thought like that" line. It simply doesn't apply, though. What I do has no effect on what anyone else does. Whether I'm interested in politics has no influence over anyone else.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Politics « Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 05:16 PM »

How come you don't want Scotland to be independent? I'd probably want it if we could survive on our own.

I don't like Alex Salmond, and I love Scotland being part of the union.

Scotland has its own separate culture and traditions which I love, and we have some of our own policies from our devolved government, I just don't think becoming indepedent is necessary, I think people want it out of sheer patriotic pride.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Politics « Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 05:17 PM »

And Laura, I think you're being a bit condescending to your good buddy James. I can hardly blame people for being disillusioned with politicians, they are mostly fatcats who are out for one person, themselves.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 05:19 PM »

I don't like Alex Salmond, and I love Scotland being part of the union.

Scotland has its own separate culture and traditions which I love, and we have some of our own policies from our devolved government, I just don't think becoming indepedent is necessary, I think people want it out of sheer patriotic pride.

I think we've lost our identity a bit. That does my head in. Lost count of how many people have confused us as being a part of England.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 05:22 PM »

I'm not saying that you voting or not voting will influence other people. But it will influence the result - one extra vote either way. It might make a difference, it might not, but it definitely won't make a difference if you sit at home doing bugger all.

I'm just doing this one post on this, because I know other people don't agree, and you're right, we've been here before and I don't want to fight about it. BUT I hate hate hate people who sit at home moaning about the state of politics and how craply the country is run and oh woe is them life is so unfair and then you ask them how they voted - how they exercised their one major and irrevocable right to have a say in the government of the country - and they say 'oh I couldn't be bothered'. UGH.

My flatmate was telling me about one radio phone in show about Julie Kirkbride and the expenses scandal where one woman phoned in and was ranting and raving about how disgusting it was that we'd voted these people in and they were exploiting public money. The interviewer then asked her how she'd voted at the last election. Lo and behold, she hadn't bothered. At which point the interviewer and other guests shot her to pieces. 

I don't care if you research all the options and truly feel that not one of the parties represent a single view that you hold, or if you go in and spoil your ballor paper, but if you just can't be bothered then don't bloody moan about how crap such and such a policy is and how such and such shouldn't be in power. If you don't vote and the people you want to get in don't get in, you should bear in mind that it was within your power to get off your arse and register your vote. 30 minutes out of your day once every 4 years is hardly a hardship.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 05:25 PM »

I think we've lost our identity a bit. That does my head in. Lost count of how many people have confused us as being a part of England.

You should try being Welsh in America, love! Complete confusion.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 05:31 PM »

I'm not saying that you voting or not voting will influence other people. But it will influence the result - one extra vote either way. It might make a difference, it might not, but it definitely won't make a difference if you sit at home doing bugger all.

I'm just doing this one post on this, because I know other people don't agree, and you're right, we've been here before and I don't want to fight about it. BUT I hate hate hate people who sit at home moaning about the state of politics and how craply the country is run and oh woe is them life is so unfair and then you ask them how they voted - how they exercised their one major and irrevocable right to have a say in the government of the country - and they say 'oh I couldn't be bothered'. UGH.

My flatmate was telling me about one radio phone in show about Julie Kirkbride and the expenses scandal where one woman phoned in and was ranting and raving about how disgusting it was that we'd voted these people in and they were exploiting public money. The interviewer then asked her how she'd voted at the last election. Lo and behold, she hadn't bothered. At which point the interviewer and other guests shot her to pieces. 

I don't care if you research all the options and truly feel that not one of the parties represent a single view that you hold, or if you go in and spoil your ballor paper, but if you just can't be bothered then don't bloody moan about how crap such and such a policy is and how such and such shouldn't be in power. If you don't vote and the people you want to get in don't get in, you should bear in mind that it was within your power to get off your arse and register your vote. 30 minutes out of your day once every 4 years is hardly a hardship.

It has nothing to do with me being lazy. I just have no interest in politics. As a result, I really don't moan about how the country is run. I simply don't hold an educated opinion. I don't read or watch anything about politics, so I'm really never in a position to moan.

We both know that how I vote will make no difference. You can point to a handful of examples throughout history where one vote has made a difference. Realistically, I have more chance of winning the lottery 2 weeks on the trot than it happening here. You can slice it any way you like, but it really does make no difference how I vote. I'd rather not vote than just vote for the hell of it.

I actually did vote last time. There was no real reason for it. I voted Labour because that's how my parents voted. It was pointless, though. It was voting for the sake of it, not because I particularly favoured any party. You might as well let kids aged 5 vote.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 05:32 PM »

The post wasn't necessarily directed at you - it was just a general vent of my feelings on the subject Smile Obviously, whether you choose to vote or not is up to you.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 05:36 PM »

The post wasn't necessarily directed at you - it was just a general vent of my feelings on the subject Smile Obviously, whether you choose to vote or not is up to you.

Fair enough.

I would probably be more interested if I actually felt that what I did made a difference. I have really tried to be passionate about politics. I forced myself to watch and read about it when I studied journalism and, later, politics as part of my social sciences degree. I actually ended up with an A for my politics essay, bizarrely. It just bored me to tears, though.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 05:39 PM »

Having given my rant on politics, it was the one thing I steered clear of in my degree - much more interested in economic, religious, cultural and social history...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »