Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Politics

(Read 2691 times)
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #60 on: February 13, 2010, 08:19 AM »

Yeah, it's not ideal, but I guess you have to stay on the safe side of these things. If it had turned out to be the epidemic it threatened to be, we'd be thanking them for buying the drugs...
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #61 on: February 13, 2010, 02:34 PM »

Politics bore me too but we have to try and effect change.  

I'm same.  I feel like I must vote too after I studied the suffragettes in school.
[ Last edit by Quackers February 13, 2010, 02:47 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Politics « Reply #62 on: February 13, 2010, 02:53 PM »

I'm same.  I feel like I must vote too after I studied the suffragettes in school.
I don't think so.  We have a choice.  That's the main thing.  Smile
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #63 on: February 13, 2010, 02:58 PM »

But I also feel if I don't vote then I shouldn't complain about how certain policies are effecting me personally.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #64 on: February 13, 2010, 03:05 PM »

But I also feel if I don't vote then I shouldn't complain about how certain policies are effecting me personally.
Of course.  I agree.  I take it as it is.  I'm not going to effect change with my views, unfortunately.  I appreciate having the choice and voice to vote as I see fit.  I just don't engage with it all.  Frown  All the 'soap box' **** does my head in.  Frown 
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #65 on: February 13, 2010, 03:50 PM »

The majority of MPs are just human, like ourselves, but yet they'd like us to look up to them.  I don't think so.  Most are winding up in the news for screwing young boys, or a mistress, at least.  Yes..... that's where I'd like my vote to go....   not.  Rolling Eyes If you take a place in the public eye, then you better hide those skeletons well.....
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Politics « Reply #66 on: February 13, 2010, 05:59 PM »

I'm quite into politics, but more because of the statistics involved!

I'm more inclined to the Tories, although there's no chance of Labour not winning my constituency.

By the way, Amy, there'll definitely be a LD standing in Wigan, but yes, Labour will almost certainly win the seat.

Concerning differences in policies, since the 90's, the major parties are much closer then in the past, with the parties mostly concentrating on individual policies in core areas which they believe the public will like, which aren't necessarily a reflection of the party's political leaning. Although, of course the Conservatives will always favour lower taxation, a lighter touch in financial regulation, the Union, etc.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #67 on: February 13, 2010, 06:16 PM »

By the way, Amy, there'll definitely be a LD standing in Wigan, but yes, Labour will almost certainly win the seat.

Oh good Very Happy  He or she will get my vote!
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Politics « Reply #68 on: February 13, 2010, 06:26 PM »

Well, it's someone called Mark Clayton. He's currently on the Manchester City Council.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #69 on: February 13, 2010, 07:01 PM »

Ahh cool.  I only checked on a wikipedia page so I wasn't convinced they had the right or all of the information.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Politics « Reply #70 on: February 14, 2010, 06:55 AM »

Yeah, it's not ideal, but I guess you have to stay on the safe side of these things. If it had turned out to be the epidemic it threatened to be, we'd be thanking them for buying the drugs...

Eyebrow raise.

I read today that 'they' (some government health wotnot) want to bring in a vaccine for shingles in the elderly - soon there will be a vaccine for everything.  Why are we not trying to build up our own immune systems?

The majority of MPs are just human, like ourselves, but yet they'd like us to look up to them.  I don't think so.  Most are winding up in the news for screwing young boys, or a mistress, at least.  Yes..... that's where I'd like my vote to go....   not.  Rolling Eyes If you take a place in the public eye, then you better hide those skeletons well.....

And then there are those that think they are above the law - the power goes to their heads.  I again read that the 4 MP's that are to be prosecuted are continuing to claim that they did nothing wrong and are citing some bill going back to James II to prevent them from being charged. naughty
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #71 on: February 14, 2010, 09:22 AM »

It's the Bill of Rights 1689, a MAJOR piece of our 'constitution'. Though I'm not entirely sure they're using it in the way it was intended...
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #72 on: February 14, 2010, 01:09 PM »

Eyebrow raise.

I read today that 'they' (some government health wotnot) want to bring in a vaccine for shingles in the elderly - soon there will be a vaccine for everything.  Why are we not trying to build up our own immune systems?

I think "They" should be trying to come up with cures for illnesses people are already suffering from rather than something people might get.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Politics « Reply #73 on: February 14, 2010, 01:45 PM »

Why are we not trying to build up our own immune systems?

How do you think vaccines work? confused
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #74 on: February 14, 2010, 02:11 PM »

I think "They" should be trying to come up with cures for illnesses people are already suffering from rather than something people might get.

But people did suffer from swine flu and due to its potential to be a pandemic disease, it could have led to severe health problems for thousands within a very short period of time...surely better to vaccinate against that as well as researching other chronic diseases? It's not like all the research scientists in the world downed tools to find a vaccine for swine flu...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »