Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Politics

(Read 2682 times)
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #75 on: February 14, 2010, 02:16 PM »

Swine flu is flu.  People get flu all the time.  I'm sure the novelty of swine flu will die out and noone will ever suffer from it again.   Only the vunerable where really at risk and fair enough they should get vaccinated etc.  But I feel not enough is being done for other illnesses.  I'm on long term medication and its not enough and I wish they'd find a magic cure.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Politics « Reply #76 on: February 14, 2010, 02:20 PM »

Tell that to the 50 million people who died of Spanish flu.

I think the thing about flu is, we know we can vaccinate against it. There's a lot of things where the cure isn't a vaccine...
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #77 on: February 14, 2010, 02:23 PM »

Tell that to the 50 million people who died of Spanish flu.

Are people still dying from this??
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Politics « Reply #78 on: February 14, 2010, 02:44 PM »

"Flu" describes three genera of a particular family of RNA viruses. The particular sub-type of H1N1 in the Spanish flu epidemic evidently mutated to something less lethal and died out. This happens quite often with highly pathogenic viruses due to evolutionary pressure - not much good if your host kicks the bucket before he's had time to infect others. Sadly it takes time for this mutation to reduced potency to occur, which is why so many people died.

The specific problem with influenza is that it mutates rapidly and frequently and any mutation drastically reduces or eliminates the effectiveness of any existing vaccines. It's also highly contagious which is why it often causes pandemics.

A pandemic now would be vastly more dangerous than a pandemic fifty years ago due to the prevalence of air travel.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #79 on: February 14, 2010, 02:51 PM »

And pandemics are so common these days.  Flu, if you get it you get over it,  unless you have other medical problems (the ones the scientist should be working on in my opinion - saying that they probably are but coming up with jack).
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #80 on: February 14, 2010, 02:53 PM »

While they're working on what you say they should be working on, I'd rather not die of swine flu because I'm on immunosuppressants.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #81 on: February 14, 2010, 03:01 PM »

Surely you wouldn't want any virus attacking your immune system right? Not just swine flu.  And hasn't swine flu died out now?  Or at least hardly effecting people anymore.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #82 on: February 14, 2010, 03:05 PM »

Surely you wouldn't want any virus attacking your immune system right? Not just swine flu.  And hasn't swine flu died out now?  Or at least hardly effecting people anymore.

I don't want any virus attacking my immune system. But mostly, I don't want one that can kill me. And no, it's not an unrealistic possibiliity.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #83 on: February 14, 2010, 03:12 PM »

Whatever.  No one wants die unless you suicidal.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #84 on: February 14, 2010, 03:16 PM »

Whatever.  No one wants die unless you suicidal.

What are you talking about? I'm telling you that these vaccines are worthwhile. Just because it's not life threatening to you, it does not mean that they are a waste of time.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #85 on: February 14, 2010, 03:39 PM »

Yeah I know I'm just being selfish.  Just think they should do more for the day to day illnesses people suffer from.  I'll be on pills for the rest of my life probs.  Well .... maybe only the next few years fingers crossed.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #86 on: February 14, 2010, 03:42 PM »

Yeah I know I'm just being selfish.  Just think they should do more for the day to day illnesses people suffer from.  I'll be on pills for the rest of my life probs.  Well .... maybe only the next few years fingers crossed.

For what?

I will too. Pretty dangerous ****, as well.

They are doing all they can. No one is neglecting anything as a result of this. Coming up with cures isn't something that comes easily and it shouldn't be taken for granted. Can you imagine living in premodern times? That's my version of a nightmare.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Politics « Reply #87 on: February 14, 2010, 03:56 PM »

Yeah I'd be screwed in olden times too.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Re: Politics « Reply #88 on: February 14, 2010, 03:57 PM »

And pandemics are so common these days.  Flu, if you get it you get over it,  unless you have other medical problems (the ones the scientist should be working on in my opinion - saying that they probably are but coming up with jack).

One could argue that the lack of recent pandemics is because of vaccination programs (combined with a bit of luck and sensible disease management).

No vaccinations == more people infected == more chance for dangerous mutations to occur.

Interestingly, Spanish Flu was most dangerous to young adults.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Re: Politics « Reply #89 on: February 14, 2010, 03:58 PM »

They are doing all they can. No one is neglecting anything as a result of this. Coming up with cures isn't something that comes easily and it shouldn't be taken for granted. Can you imagine living in premodern times? That's my version of a nightmare.

For common-ish diseases they certainly are. You tend to be pretty ****** if you suffer from a disease that affects 20 people world wide, as there's no money to be made in curing you.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »