Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Randomness 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 1287 [1288] 1289 1290 1291 ... 1327 Go Down Reply
Author

Randomness

(Read 304184 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Randomness « Reply #19305 on: February 21, 2013, 02:21 AM »

I don't believe this ....... doh
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Randomness « Reply #19306 on: February 21, 2013, 06:32 AM »

wtf
You opened a thread for this???
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Randomness « Reply #19307 on: February 21, 2013, 07:25 AM »

Must be "Silly season." Obviously being Andyless at the mo. is too much for some to bear...... Whistle
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Randomness « Reply #19308 on: February 22, 2013, 10:06 PM »

It's coming this year Smile

IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Randomness « Reply #19309 on: February 22, 2013, 10:12 PM »

What is it meant
It's coming this year Smile

What is meant to achieve?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Randomness « Reply #19310 on: February 22, 2013, 10:19 PM »

I'm yet to be convinced it's worthwhile for everyday use but it's basically meant to get rid of the need to get out and look at your device which can interrupt what you're doing.

So if you're walking around London, I can imagine it being useful with Google Navigate instead of me looking down at my phone and bumping into people.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Randomness « Reply #19311 on: February 22, 2013, 10:22 PM »

I'm yet to be convinced it's worthwhile for everyday use but it's basically meant to get rid of the need to get out and look at your device which can interrupt what you're doing.

So if you're walking around London, I can imagine it being useful to have Google Navigate on it instead of me looking down at my phone and bumping into people.
It's quite disturbing.  Devices gone mad. Something so 'in your face' can't help but interrupt.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Randomness « Reply #19312 on: February 22, 2013, 10:23 PM »

This from The Verge does well at explaining some of the appeal:

"Why are we even working on Glass? We all know that people love to be connected. Families message each other all the time, sports fanatics are checking live scores for their favorite teams. If you’re a frequent traveler you have to stay up to date on flight status or if your gate changes. Technology allows us to connect in that way. A big problem right now are the distractions that technology causes. If you’re a parent — let’s say your child’s performance, watching them do a soccer game or a musical. Often friends will be holding a camera to capture that moment. Guess what? It’s gone. You just missed that amazing game." Isabelle chimes in, "Did you see that Louis C.K. stand up when he was telling parents, ‘your kids are better resolution in real life?’" Everyone laughs, but the point is made.

Human beings have developed a new problem since the advent of the iPhone and the following mobile revolution: no one is paying attention to anything they’re actually doing. Everyone seems to be looking down at something or through something. Those perfect moments watching your favorite band play or your kid’s recital are either being captured via the lens of a device that sits between you and the actual experience, or being interrupted by constant notifications. Pings from the outside world, breaking into what used to be whole, personal moments.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Randomness « Reply #19313 on: February 22, 2013, 10:27 PM »

"Why are we even working on Glass? We all know that people love to be connected. Families message each other all the time, sports fanatics are checking live scores for their favorite teams. If you’re a frequent traveler you have to stay up to date on flight status or if your gate changes. Technology allows us to connect in that way. A big problem right now are the distractions that technology causes. If you’re a parent — let’s say your child’s performance, watching them do a soccer game or a musical. Often friends will be holding a camera to capture that moment. Guess what? It’s gone. You just missed that amazing game." Isabelle chimes in, "Did you see that Louis C.K. stand up when he was telling parents, ‘your kids are better resolution in real life?’" Everyone laughs, but the point is made.

Human beings have developed a new problem since the advent of the iPhone and the following mobile revolution: no one is paying attention to anything they’re actually doing. Everyone seems to be looking down at something or through something. Those perfect moments watching your favorite band play or your kid’s recital are either being captured via the lens of a device that sits between you and the actual experience, or being interrupted by constant notifications. Pings from the outside world, breaking into what used to be whole, personal moments.

The being connected has it's advantages, but also puts people under so much pressure, in that you find you do not have a minute to yourself.  I can think of nothing more horrific than Facebook, or Twitter or the like. 
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Randomness « Reply #19314 on: February 22, 2013, 10:34 PM »

Just heated up a curry, and am burning my mouth - fecker!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Randomness « Reply #19315 on: February 23, 2013, 11:19 AM »

lol

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Randomness « Reply #19316 on: February 23, 2013, 02:16 PM »

That was fascinating, Mark.
I think anything that can promote basic human interaction can only be a positive thing for the future. It's such a paradox that society relies more and more on devices to have a 'connection' with the world around us. And here I am, right now, 'talking' to you and anyone else who reads my words. None of whom I have physically either met nor spoken to.

My son and I have had many conversations about trying to maintain a balance in his life regarding social interaction, both physically and cyber-speak.

I'm concerned about our current upcoming and future generations when I see a rise in obesity, type 2 diabetes, and basic social skills. I wonder if the art of physical hand-writing and colloquial language will eventually perish.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Randomness « Reply #19317 on: February 23, 2013, 02:23 PM »

I wonder if the art of physical hand-writing ... will eventually perish.
Certainly has for me Frown
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Randomness « Reply #19318 on: February 23, 2013, 02:40 PM »

That's sad.
When last did you physically write something? (Not just a signature.)
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Randomness « Reply #19319 on: February 23, 2013, 02:44 PM »

Usually we are talking a year at a time but it just so happens a couple of weeks ago I did have to write. It just looks so bad.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 1287 [1288] 1289 1290 1291 ... 1327 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »