Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Recipes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 Go Down Reply
Author

Recipes

(Read 16577 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Recipes « Reply #795 on: March 13, 2011, 11:01 AM »

Anyone ever made a meatloaf with prunes as one of the ingredients?  Watch this space !!! Smile
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Recipes « Reply #796 on: March 13, 2011, 01:38 PM »

Anyone ever made a meatloaf with prunes as one of the ingredients?  Watch this space !!! Smile

No, Sounds interesting, I'll watch this space!  Little tongue man
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Recipes « Reply #797 on: March 13, 2011, 01:41 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/5-MINUTE-CHOCOLATE-MUG-CAKE/85427078942#!/pages/5-MINUTE-CHOCOLATE-MUG-CAKE/85427078942?sk=info

OM NOM.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Recipes « Reply #798 on: March 13, 2011, 02:15 PM »

Here it is Chris ... I'm almost certain I've made this before, but I have a huge number of recipes and rotate through them. Today, I made half this quantity which fits into an 8" x 4" oblong tinfoil pan. Not sure if you do the same thing I do when it comes to mixing meatloaf, but I mix it really loosely - I read that someplace and it does work very well.   I'll let you know how it is after we eat it tonight.  I'm going to make cauliflower au gratin and some mashed pots ... (comfort food !!)

MEATLOAF

1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs (from 2 slices firm white sandwich bread)
1/3 cup whole milk
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium celery rib, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 lb bacon (about 4 slices), chopped
1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
1 1/2 lb ground beef chuck
1/2 lb ground pork (not lean)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Garnish: cooked bacon

Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Soak bread crumbs in milk in a large bowl.
Meanwhile, cook onion, garlic, celery, and carrot in butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low, then cook until carrot is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, allspice, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Add to bread-crumb mixture.
Finely chop bacon and prunes in a food processor, then add to onion mixture along with beef, pork, eggs, and parsley and mix together with your hands.
Pack mixture into a 9- by 5-inch oval loaf in a 13- by 9-inch shallow baking dish or pan.
Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of meatloaf registers 155°F, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Recipes « Reply #799 on: March 13, 2011, 06:15 PM »

Chris ... now that I can smell it in the oven I remember it (must have been a while since I made it) and it is okay - I wouldn't kill for it though.

On the other hand, the following Bobby Flay recipe I do love.  Don't know if you're familiar with Bobby Flay ... he's an extremely I MEAN EXTREMELY cute South Western Chef ...  I usually make three small ones and freeze two of them - it's the Balsamic Glaze that makes this.

Meatloaf Flay's Way:
NEW YORK, March 10, 2005

Roasted Vegetable Meat Loaf with Balsamic Glaze

1 tablespoons olive oil
1 large zucchini, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 yellow pepper, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground veal
1 pound ground beef chuck
1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
1 cup ketchup, divided
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Add the zucchini, peppers, and salt and pepper to taste and cook until almost soft – about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes, and cook for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool.
Whisk together the eggs and herbs in a large bowl. Add the meat, bread crumbs, cheese, 1/2 cup of the ketchup, 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetables, and mix until just combined.
Pack the mixture into three 5 ¾ x 3 ¼ x 2-inch loaf pans, then invert one onto a sheet pan and freeze the other two. Whisk together the remaining ketchup, balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes in a small bowl then brush the mixture over the entire loaf. Bake the meatloaf for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.

Makes THREE 5 ¾ x 3 ¼ x 2-inch – 9 Servings

IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Recipes « Reply #800 on: March 17, 2011, 03:46 PM »

All sounds delicious to me Daisy! Little tongue man
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Recipes « Reply #801 on: March 24, 2011, 10:33 AM »

Made a battenburg cake today for my girls birthday cake - not quite Mr Kipling but not bad for my 1st attempt.

* 200299_10150164417219400_775069399_8054636_6681904_n.jpg (55.87 KB, 720x540 - viewed 139 times.)
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Recipes « Reply #802 on: March 24, 2011, 01:12 PM »

Oh well done you, Bev !!  I've never tried to make one of those  ... and Happy Birthday to your gals.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Recipes « Reply #803 on: March 24, 2011, 05:23 PM »

Nice one Bev! Birthday Greetings to the girls! band
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Recipes « Reply #804 on: March 25, 2011, 07:40 AM »

Thanks Ladies - they had a great night out with friends at one of the restaurants in Hamilton (parents blown out old ) and then they will be able to celebrate it with family in the UK in 2 weeks time wave when they arrive back for their visit.  They enjoyed their cake too and were quite surprised by it - they will be able to get the real thing soon Frown
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Recipes « Reply #805 on: April 05, 2011, 09:30 AM »

BEV ... here's a Corned Beef Recipe, but double the spices.

Homemade Corned Beef Recipe

It's easy to make your own corned beef at home. Just plan ahead. The beef brisket will take about 3 weeks to cure. You can also use bottom round roast in place of brisket, if you wish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

4 quarts water
1 cup salt
1 teaspoon saltpeter (see note 1 below)
2 beef briskets, about 4 pounds each (see note 2 below)
12 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons pickling spices
8 bay leaves
Preparation:

Boil water. Add salt1 and saltpeter, stir to dissolve and set aside to cool. Place brisket2 in a large crock, zipper-style plastic bag or other non-metallic container. Pour salt3 water over meat and add garlic4, pickling spices and bay leaves. Meat should be submerged; use a weighted jar to hold meat under pickling solution. Refrigerate or set in a cool place for 3 weeks. Drain and remove bay leaves before cooking.

Note 1: Saltpeter is known commercially as potassium nitrate and is used to give the meat a pink coloring.

Note 2: Bottom round roasts may be substituted for the brisket for a leaner corned beef.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Recipes « Reply #806 on: May 03, 2011, 03:39 PM »

Thinking of adding this to my 4th July BBQ

Mediterranean Veggie Dip

Yogurt Cheese
1/4 C chopped roasted red sweet pepper
1/4 C crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
2 T thinly sliced green onion
2 T chopped pitted kalamata olives
2 T snipped fresh Italian parsley
2 t snipped fresh Oregano

DIPPERS  Toasted pita bread, whole grain crackers, carrots sticks, broccoli florets, cucumber spears, sweet pepper strips.

Combine dip ingredients, cover and chill for 24 hours.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Recipes « Reply #807 on: May 03, 2011, 03:56 PM »

Hey guys......As it's 'BBQ' time, I thought I' share my recipe for homemade BBQ sauce! I'm not keen on the shop bought ones so I never use anything else, but, if you find you've run out and the guests are on the way, it only takes a few minutes to make! OK.......Put 4oz. butter into a small saucepan.......add a good dollop of tomato ketchup.......a good dollop of 'nippy' brown sauce [I use Daddy's or HP].......1 heaped teaspoon of made mustard [I use Colemans] ......a dash of Tobasco.....and a couple of cloves of garlic [crushed].       Put saucepan on the lowest heat you can on the hob and stir continuously until butter has 'almost' melted down, then remove from heat! If you heat it too quickly or for too long, it will separate! Brush on meat while cooking! Luuurvly! w00t
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Recipes « Reply #808 on: May 04, 2011, 12:39 PM »

Hey guys......As it's 'BBQ' time,

ignore  Though parts of the south island had temperatures of 26 on Sunday.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Recipes « Reply #809 on: March 16, 2014, 11:17 AM »

Here you go guys.........knock yourselves out!  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »