Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.1%)
No (atheist) - 31 (40.8%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 78338 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #105 on: August 09, 2007, 03:35 PM »

'So many' ≠ 'all'
[ Last edit by Sir Panda August 09, 2007, 03:35 PM ] IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #106 on: August 09, 2007, 03:39 PM »

Indeed... Many wars have happened only because of religion. That still doesn't mean all were. confused

You said that the wars where caused SOLELY of religion and nothing else. I wasn't meaning the part in which you said "Many wars" the "ONLY because of religion" part I was saying.
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #107 on: August 09, 2007, 03:40 PM »

You said that the wars where caused SOLELY of religion and nothing else. I wasn't meaning the part in which you said "Many wars" the "ONLY because of religion" part I was saying.

Ouch, my ears.

Some wars are and have been.
IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #108 on: August 09, 2007, 03:41 PM »

Ouch, my ears.

Some wars are and have been.

I was emphasing the points that you weren't getting, I wasn't shouting no need to cover your ears.

Name some.
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #109 on: August 09, 2007, 03:43 PM »

I was emphasing the points that you weren't getting, I wasn't shouting no need to cover your ears.

I know that. Rolling Eyes Anyway, I'm out of this discussion before I get fired up again.
IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #110 on: August 09, 2007, 03:46 PM »

I know that. Rolling Eyes Anyway, I'm out of this discussion before I get fired up again.

I haven't been rude or rolling my eyes at you, we can have a discussion on these forums without resorting to rolling of the eyes I'm sure.
I would just like you to name some wars caused by religion and religion only, I don't see how that would fire you up.
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #111 on: August 09, 2007, 03:54 PM »

War of the Sunnis and Shiites.

I don't see how that would fire you up.

Everything here fires me up.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #112 on: August 09, 2007, 04:07 PM »

Those don't live up to what religion has caused in the past.

So WWI (power) and WWII (power, land and ethnic clensing), Both Gulf wars (money and democracy), the Faulklands (power and money) , The American Civil war (land, racial freedom and freedom of speech), Vietnam (money and politics). None of these live up to a religeous war you can't even name...
[ Last edit by ljsmall August 09, 2007, 04:13 PM ] IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #113 on: August 09, 2007, 04:09 PM »

First of all, I could name one, if I have enough time, I'll find more.
Second of all, it doesn't take away religion is still a cause of war and could be left out as in my opinion, it's doing more bad than good unlike democracy for example. (Well, the idea behind democracy anyway. Rolling Eyes)
[ Last edit by dentie August 09, 2007, 04:10 PM ] IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #114 on: August 09, 2007, 04:25 PM »

So the fact that religeon and the faith of some people is the reason behind HUGE amounts of the world's charitable acts is not relevant in that. The fact that freedom of religeon was the main trigger in the fight to help those suffering the oppression of a communist regime regain basic human rights. Or the fact that the main provider of education for the underprivelaged children in India and Pakistan at the moment is a christian organisation. How about that the church in the US and the UK actually provide more funding for orphanages in the Former soviet union than their own governments do. The first proveders of aid on the scene after Hurricain Katrina and the Asian tsunami were from religeously funded charities. What about the free childcare provided for single mums even just in the uk by church organisations? I could go on but I've made my point I think. All of this and the fact that our whole moral fabric is founded in religeous principles. None of these are good enough to justify religeon?
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #115 on: August 09, 2007, 04:27 PM »

Do they eventually exceed the victims religion has made?
[ Last edit by dentie August 09, 2007, 04:27 PM ] IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #116 on: August 09, 2007, 04:32 PM »

I haven't counted them but I think they would. If you were to include everyone for whom religion has had a possitive effect on their life I definately think it would exceed the people on whom it has had a negative effect. I think we can disclude the neutrals from this, although you could probably include them and still come to the same conclusion.   
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #117 on: August 09, 2007, 04:35 PM »

The thing is, I don't think it has had such a positive effect on quite a few individuals. Sure, they have something to believe in, but it comes back and bites you in the ass on many occasions. It only brings some people down instead of comforting them.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #118 on: August 09, 2007, 04:38 PM »

Now that I definately don't agree with. If you have a strong faith the hard times only make that faith stronger. And i could give you dozens of examples of that including one that is particularly close to my heart right now.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #119 on: August 09, 2007, 04:39 PM »

I'm very aware we are talking exclusively of Christianity at the moment but that's what I have personal experience of so I apologise.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »