Almost all people believe that Muslim=Terrorist.
That is a really pathetic thought.
I don't believe that, Zarfeen.
I adore my two students (I call them "my boys") who are devout Muslims and came to our home straight from Jeddah to learn English and study Engineering. They are kind, pure, intelligent and humorous.
I must say though that it's certainly been an education for me to find out that their beliefs are set in stone with no room for empathy with others' beliefs.
It's like they've been living in a leaded box.
Their basic knowledge was astounding. Here is a small, random sample of stuff they had never heard of:
- Anything to do with space. (Space missions, the Space Station.)
- Had never written a paragraph in their lives. Only a basic sentence or two. (They tell me there are special schools in Jeddah for writing.)
- Germs and their influence.
- The Beatles, Lady Gaga, Madonna. (But they'd heard of Michael Jackson & Shakira.. other than that..)
Things I've learned:
- Google is censored in their country (they didn't know that until they used Google here in our country.)
- They believe in witchcraft and are frightened of it. And it is an offence punishable by death in their country.
- They love their King.
- They believe The Quoran is the absolute truth.
- They believe anything other than their religion is not the truth.
They are wonderful human beings who have lived in our home and have been part of our family for 2 years, but boy-o'-boy, have we learned from each other.
And continue to do so..