Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 1 Member and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.7%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: 1 ... 298 299 300 [301] 302 303 304 ... 334 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Religious Discussions  (Read 71168 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4500 on: February 13, 2013, 09:42 PM »

Whoever the new pope is it will be someone under the age of 70. The current and previous pope spent years working to change the rules so that only cardinals under the age of 70 can be put forward for the papacy due to the rigors of the job.
Thank goodness for that.  It's only common sense really.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4501 on: February 13, 2013, 09:45 PM »

^ I had picked up on that during my time on this forum.  Also my own beliefs on matters religious is somewhat lacking.

I wasn't being too serious here, fiverings, although according to the Met people it is quite unusual, although not unheard of, to have such a violent thunderstorm in this part of Italy at this time of year.  Maybe my own religious upbringing (C of S) kicked in because, as a child, my mother used to tell me that thunderstorms were because God was angry with me.  No surprise then that for years I was terrified of them until I found out what really caused them.  Still don't like them though.
   Scary  Mum you had!  My old Scots Granny aye said it was the angels moving furniture - but I think that was meant to reduce the fear factor.  Didn't really work though. Then it became exciting to watch the lightning and count the beats till the thunderclap.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4502 on: February 13, 2013, 09:47 PM »

Whoever the new pope is it will be someone under the age of 70. The current and previous pope spent years working to change the rules so that only cardinals under the age of 70 can be put forward for the papacy due to the rigors of the job.
So - the fact we have a younger pensioner who has never had sex, but rules a bunch of child abusers really helps? 
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4503 on: February 13, 2013, 09:54 PM »

I'm thinking the lightning was a sign to say, thank you that sh*t's over...
[ Last edit by Elly February 13, 2013, 09:59 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4504 on: February 13, 2013, 11:04 PM »

Scary  Mum you had!  My old Scots Granny aye said it was the angels moving furniture - but I think that was meant to reduce the fear factor.  Didn't really work though. Then it became exciting to watch the lightning and count the beats till the thunderclap.
She could be quite formidable. Smile  My Gran though used to say the same about furniture, only it was God moving it around.  Much better, even if didn't work either.

I had to get on top of my fear though when I went to boarding-school because all the other kids seemed to enjoy thunderstorms and I didn't want to appear a scaredy-cat, even although I was shaking inside.

We also used to count what we thought were the seconds between the flash and the thunder clap in the belief that it told you how far away the storm was, i.e. 1 second = 1 mile.  We weren't far off the mark though because it seems that 5 seconds = 1 mile (all tied up with the fact that light travels faster than sound through air).
[ Last edit by Aileen February 13, 2013, 11:15 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4505 on: February 16, 2013, 08:12 PM »

New movie with Richard Dawkins is coming out soon:

IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4506 on: February 16, 2013, 08:18 PM »

^ Oof - that should be really fascinating!  Even that trailer is mouthwatering...
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4507 on: February 16, 2013, 08:34 PM »

I suppose, in an ideal world, we'd all agree to differ and take from 'religion/a belief system etc, what we need - without hurting others, or ramming our beliefs down other people's throats?  Why is it that the human condition always strives to 'be right'? 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4508 on: February 16, 2013, 08:35 PM »

^ Oof - that should be really fascinating!  Even that trailer is mouthwatering...
  It could be, but although I'm a rationalist, I don't like Dawkins uberscience approach. There are things in the universe that science can't explain at the moment and people like Dawkins will only accept data that fits with their model until there is a head-on collision. For example, in Dawkins favoured field of evolution, natural selection is quite rightly the dominant paradigm, but there are very many questions around speciation and innovation that I am quite uncomfortable with under an incremental adaptive model.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4509 on: February 16, 2013, 08:47 PM »

^ I don't like the uberscience approach to things no more than I like a too airy fairy approach to things.  I just feel to keep an open mind and a foot in both camps means you can value both, and weigh things up in an honest manner.  To be too fixed surely isn't necessarily a good thing?  Surely it must blind you to a lot of stuff that may have value?
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4510 on: February 16, 2013, 08:49 PM »

^ I don't like the uberscience approach to things no more than I like a too airy fairy approach to things.  I just feel to keep an open mind and a foot in both camps means you can value both, and weigh things up in an honest manner.  To be too fixed surely isn't necessarily a good thing?  Surely it must blind you to a lot of stuff that may have value?
  My point absolutely. I often wonder just how open Dawkin's mind is, having read and listened to quite a bit of his work.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4511 on: February 16, 2013, 08:56 PM »

My point absolutely. I often wonder just how open Dawkin's mind is, having read and listened to quite a bit of his work.
I haven't read that much re Dawkins, but then again, I haven't read the Bible.  I just don't subscribe to that level of fanaticism.  As I've grown older, and my life has changed, I've explored lots of different stuff that seemed appropriate at the time.  I think keeping an open mind helps you to evolve and grow as a person.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4512 on: February 17, 2013, 01:12 PM »

I am reading a book called the 12th planet and it is quite interesting. It assumes that aliens came to earth and settled in the area of Babylon  the book is written by Zecharia Sitchin. It claims that aliens came to earth looking for gold and other minerals. They created man by putting their DNA into early hominids and produced man they used them as slave labour. To cut a long story it says that most of the human race were killed by the great flood after years of famine due to the aliens not providing them with food. Apparently archaeologists  have been digging in that area an the first layers are all mud then below that they found buildings from that era when the culture of that area was great. It also says that if you read Genesis  in the bible much of it is the same as what was found by archaeologists. So is the bible a copy of those ancient scripts ?It even refers to Noah's Ark and describes the Ark. Is there a God I do not really know or was God an alien. It talks about Gods in the book there is great detail about rockets, landing sites and how those aliens dressed. I suppose we could claim it to be untrue but it is quite convincing. It also questions Darwins Natural Selection stating that man would require a lot more time to develop than Darwin states.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4513 on: February 17, 2013, 06:12 PM »

I am reading a book called the 12th planet and it is quite interesting. It assumes that aliens came to earth and settled in the area of Babylon  the book is written by Zecharia Sitchin. It claims that aliens came to earth looking for gold and other minerals. They created man by putting their DNA into early hominids and produced man they used them as slave labour. To cut a long story it says that most of the human race were killed by the great flood after years of famine due to the aliens not providing them with food. Apparently archaeologists  have been digging in that area an the first layers are all mud then below that they found buildings from that era when the culture of that area was great. It also says that if you read Genesis  in the bible much of it is the same as what was found by archaeologists. So is the bible a copy of those ancient scripts ?It even refers to Noah's Ark and describes the Ark. Is there a God I do not really know or was God an alien. It talks about Gods in the book there is great detail about rockets, landing sites and how those aliens dressed. I suppose we could claim it to be untrue but it is quite convincing. It also questions Darwins Natural Selection stating that man would require a lot more time to develop than Darwin states.
Sorry, but even as a work of fiction this wouldn't hold my attention. I am more intrigued by the post-glacial flooding impacts on indigenous human civilisations around the world. A lot of this is tied up with Atlantis mythology but it does seem that there was major impact in SE Asia/Indonesia that may have displaced an advanced culture around Asia, Polynesia and South America
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4514 on: February 17, 2013, 07:47 PM »

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 300 [301] 302 303 304 ... 334 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »