Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.1%)
No (atheist) - 31 (40.8%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: 1 ... 318 319 320 [321] 322 323 324 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 81962 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4800 on: May 31, 2013, 04:30 PM »

I wasn't disagreeing with the point, or trying to make another point. I was just pointing out that Mao was an atheist.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4801 on: May 31, 2013, 05:00 PM »

Oh ok, though as Clydey quoted you, it looks as though perhaps we both misunderstood! Sorry!
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4802 on: May 31, 2013, 07:09 PM »

You have totally missed the point, Veronica. Congratulations, you have just posted in JPEG form an argument that Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck have made (as well as thousands of others who missed the point).

It's not about religious people doing bad things or atheists doing bad things. It's about bad things being done because of bad ideas. It's about bad things being done because of religion.

People don't seem to understand the distinction between doing something evil because of religion and doing something evil while happening to also be religious. There is no logical path from atheism to committing atrocities. You cannot say that about religion.

I read this as reasoning to why it's ******* stupid and pointless to target all Muslims as the "bad guys" given that there's bad eggs in literally every category.

Whatever, James.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4803 on: May 31, 2013, 07:21 PM »

He wasn't targeting Muslims, he was targeting Islamism. There's a huge difference.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4804 on: May 31, 2013, 07:29 PM »

He wasn't targeting Muslims, he was targeting Islamism. There's a huge difference.

Who is "he?"

I was referring to my interpretation of the picture.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4805 on: May 31, 2013, 07:54 PM »

Clydey. He was saying that, that point in the poster is fine and you're right Muslim people shouldn't be targeted. However that argument shouldn't be used (as it commonly is) to defend the bad doctrines of the religion itself.

In my view I don't really see 'religion' specifically as the bad thing. I view bad education in general as the big problem and I considering it be the problem of most things in fact, it just happens that religious teachings commonly wind up falling under this domain.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4806 on: May 31, 2013, 08:37 PM »

Clydey. He was saying that, that point in the poster is fine and you're right Muslim people shouldn't be targeted. However that argument shouldn't be used (as it commonly is) to defend the bad doctrines of the religion itself.

In my view I don't really see 'religion' specifically as the bad thing. I view bad education in general as the big problem and I considering it be the problem of most things in fact, it just happens that religious teachings commonly wind up falling under this domain.

I don't defend the bad doctrines of religion (any religion) as an atheist myself. I never did?
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4807 on: May 31, 2013, 10:28 PM »

Why is evil committed in the name of religion worse than evil committed for no particular reason?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4808 on: May 31, 2013, 11:35 PM »

Why is evil committed in the name of religion worse than evil committed for no particular reason?
Because evil committed in the name of religion can and often is done by good people. So in that sense, it's evil that could so easily be avoided.

Evil without religion is often unavoidable as its cause is usually genetics, environment and perhaps mental illness.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4809 on: June 01, 2013, 10:29 AM »

I generally avoid religious discussions (I dont mean this thread) since it always ends up with a question being answered with another question. I notice there are many atheists in this forum. I've always been interested in this concept but have not done any research about it. I would really like it if someone answers a few of my basic questions. Why dont you believe in God? What stopped you from believing in God? If you dont believe in God, what do you believe in? How do you think humanity began? When did you turn atheist?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4810 on: June 01, 2013, 11:46 AM »

You are correct, your question is answered by a question, sometimes. Very Happy

Why dont you believe in God?  Why do I need to?

What stopped you from believing in God?  I not sure that I ever did, it was as though it was just being passed down from generation to generation.

If you dont believe in God, what do you believe in?  My family, my friends and me. They are what's going to get me through life. 

How do you think humanity began?  Evolution. Its a big world out there and we are a tiny speck of it.

When did you turn atheist?  As above.

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4811 on: June 01, 2013, 11:50 AM »

You are correct, your question is answered by a question, sometimes. Very Happy

Why dont you believe in God?  Why do I need to?

What stopped you from believing in God?  I not sure that I ever did, it was as though it was just being passed down from generation to generation.

If you dont believe in God, what do you believe in?  My family, my friends and me. They are what's going to get me through life.  

How do you think humanity began?  Evolution. Its a big world out there and we are a tiny speck of it.

When did you turn atheist?  As above.

First of all Bev, thanks for answering my questions. Smile
The first answer, I mean question is mind blowing. Wink
So, what do you think happens after death?

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4812 on: June 01, 2013, 11:59 AM »

I often joke with my religious friends that I'm going to hell and there's going to be a big party! devil

Seriously Sabine, I have no idea and don't think about it.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4813 on: June 01, 2013, 12:00 PM »

I often joke with my religious friends that I'm going to hell and there's going to be a big party! devil

Seriously Sabine, I have no idea and don't think about it.

lol

Thanks again, Bev.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4814 on: June 01, 2013, 12:39 PM »

1. Why don't you believe in God?

Because I see no evidence of God. And especially no evidence for one particular God out of the thousands that have been created.

2. What stopped you from believing in God?

The same thing that stopped me believing in Santa. Growing up and questioning what I'm told.

3. If you don't believe in God, what do you believe in?

What science has explained so far.  Evolution by natural selection explains the complexity of life which I find incredibly satisfying. Without that discovery, I admittedly would struggle to be an atheist even though there still wouldn't be the logic for it. It's that discovery, and scientific progress in general, that makes me feel confident the universe will one day be fully explained. I just don't happen to live in that era.

4. How do you think humanity began?

What led to the first replicator which started evolution? What was before the Big Bang? As mentioned before, history gives me confidence they will eventually be answered. Lack of knowledge is never a reason to believe in the supernatural.

5. When did you turn atheist?

I stopped believing in religion probably 14-15. The process of turning from agnostic to atheist came much later, maybe around 20-22. That was due to reading The God Delusion, The Selfish Gene (life changing) and The Blind Watchmaker (favourite book).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 320 [321] 322 323 324 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »