Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.1%)
No (atheist) - 31 (40.8%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 80011 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4845 on: June 01, 2013, 02:58 PM »

Because evil committed in the name of religion can and often is done by good people. So in that sense, it's evil that could so easily be avoided.

Evil without religion is often unavoidable as its cause is usually genetics, environment and perhaps mental illness.

Are you saying that if these people were not exposed to religion they would not commit evil crimes?  
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4846 on: June 01, 2013, 03:11 PM »

Are you saying that if these people were not exposed to religion they would not commit evil crimes?   
For a significant number of those people, yes. Good people tend not to commit evil crimes.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4847 on: June 01, 2013, 03:18 PM »

I don't believe that's true!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4848 on: June 01, 2013, 03:23 PM »

I don't believe that's true!
I won't pretend to be completely confident but the logic seems to be there.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4849 on: June 01, 2013, 03:24 PM »

I disagree!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4850 on: June 01, 2013, 03:26 PM »

We all consider ourselves good people, even when we do what other's see as bad things. So I guess Mark is right in a sense. Good people do do bad things.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4851 on: June 01, 2013, 03:28 PM »

I disagree!
I disagree!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4852 on: June 01, 2013, 03:33 PM »

You're right Gangsta.....Good people do bad things sometimes, but that doesn't make them bad people, but 'evil' is a totally different thing. Good people don't do evil things. Evil people do evil things and sometimes use their God as an excuse.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4853 on: June 01, 2013, 03:40 PM »

You're right Gangsta.....Good people do bad things sometimes, but that doesn't make them bad people, but 'evil' is a totally different thing. Good people don't do evil things. Evil people do evil things and sometimes use their God as an excuse.

But is it the evil inside them or the religion that makes them commit evil?    Atheists think it is the religion but that's a convenient peg to hang your hat on.    Evil is more complicated than that.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4854 on: June 01, 2013, 03:44 PM »

^So Laundry, as an atheist, do you feel every question of yours is answered or like me, do you have some doubts in your belief?

I've done a lot, lot of questioning and studying on my beliefs and understandings of why we are here and the universe is here in the way it is. I've always done this from a young age, I was pretty much always thinking about things like this to myself as opposed to having a proper social life :p

I would say I am actually at a point where I'm more or less happy with all the answers I have now. I don't have any of the 'big' questions left to ask myself, I've reached a conclusion to all the questions I was striving to answer when I was younger. It's somewhat depressing to actually be in that state of mind though  though because it's like I've surmounted a pinnacle of understanding and I don't feel like I'm going to gain any further knowledge that I really care about. Of course there are plenty of scientific questions left to answer but I don't particularly care about most of them, I have always looked more at philosophical questions and 'the bigger picture'. Naturally they are tied in with science but I think you can grasp an understanding of the framework of things from a top-down perspective without understanding all the internal pieces of science from the bottom-up.

If you were to talk to some scientists or philosophers I think a majority would say it's not actually obtaining the answers that they really care about, it's the search towards trying to find those answers that drives and motivates them. I don't think I'm a typical atheist in that sense, I doubt many atheist at all would say they feel every question of theirs is answered or that they are happy with all the answers they have. To reach that point is a goal that a lot of people are perceptually aiming to touch but speaking as someone who is actually there you could say it's perhaps over-rated. OK yes I have a certain pride and contentment in a way about achieving all my answers but I no longer possess that drive to think and puzzle about things, I've lost that purpose. Like an Olympian that works their entire life to obtain a gold medal, then when they finally win it they're asking themselves "what now?".
[ Last edit by laundry June 01, 2013, 03:50 PM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4855 on: June 01, 2013, 03:44 PM »

I think that's more or less what I said! They use religion as an excuse!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4856 on: June 01, 2013, 03:46 PM »

I've done a lot, lot of questioning and studying on my beliefs and understandings of why we are here and the universe is here in the way it is. I've always done this from a young age and I was pretty much always thinking about things like this to myself as opposed to having a proper social life :p

I would say I am actually a point where I'm more or less happy with all the answers I have now. I don't have any of the 'big' questions left to ask myself, I've reached a conclusion on all the questions I was striving to answer when I was younger. It's somewhat depressing to actually be at that state though because it's like I've surmounted a pinnacle of understanding and I don't feel like I'm going to gain any further knowledge that I really care about. Of course there are plenty of scientific questions left to answer but I don't particularly care about most of them, I have always looked more at philosophical questions and 'the bigger picture'. Naturally they are tied in with science but I think you can grasp an understanding of the framework of things from a top-down perspective without understanding all the internal pieces of science from the bottom-up.

If you were to talk to some scientists or philosophers I think a majority would say it's not actually obtaining the answers that they really care about, it's the search towards trying to find those answers that drives and motivates them. I don't think I'm a typical atheist in that sense, I doubt many atheist at all would say they feel every question of theirs is answered or that they are happy with all the answers they have. To reach that point is a goal that a lot of people are perceptually aiming to touch but speaking as someone who is actually there you could say it's perhaps over-rated. OK yes I have a certain pride and contentment in a way about achieving all my answers but I no longer possess that drive to think and puzzle about things, I've lost that purpose. Like an Olympian that works their entire life to obtain a gold medal, then when they finally win it they're asking themselves "what now?".

Religion?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4857 on: June 01, 2013, 03:48 PM »

Say I've run over a cat by accident in my car. I have done something bad, but I haven't done it in the name of religion, so I haven't been swayed by anything.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4858 on: June 01, 2013, 03:53 PM »

Yes, but that's an accident, but if you had done it deliberately, that would be evil!
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4859 on: June 01, 2013, 04:00 PM »

Religion?
Religion what?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »