Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.1%)
No (atheist) - 31 (40.8%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: 1 ... 322 323 324 [325] 326 327 328 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 84318 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4860 on: June 01, 2013, 04:04 PM »

Religion what?

Some people find it an answer to "what now".    It seems to bring serenity to their lives.    Just a suggestion.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4861 on: June 01, 2013, 04:13 PM »

On the subject of what was being discussed. It's the indoctrination of certain religious beliefs and dogmas that can specifically make a person or a culture 'evil'. If those doctrines weren't instilled upon children then a lot less of them would wind up growing up with the psychological conditions that they do.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4862 on: June 01, 2013, 04:19 PM »

Some people find religion an answer to "what now".    It seems to bring serenity to their lives.    Just a suggestion.
That doesn't really apply in my case where my "what now" is what I should do after I have found all my answers... and I have already thought about and dismissed religion.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4863 on: June 01, 2013, 04:25 PM »

On the subject of what was being discussed. It's the indoctrination of certain religious beliefs and dogmas that can specifically make a person or a culture 'evil'. If those doctrines weren't instilled upon children then a lot less of them would wind up growing up with the psychological conditions that they do.

but then if you take a 'moderate' believer of whatever religion. If they truly believe in their God and follow certain teachings on how you communicate and have a relationship with that God, and that the way God tells them to live is the 'right' way, then of course they are going to want to introduce their children to that God.

I grew up in a Christian home and my parents believe that God loves me and that through the death and resurrection of Christ we are saved. They wanted me to know that God who loves me and loves them. Their being Christians didn't automatically make me one.

But if you believe that your God loves you and that there is an afterlife with that God and that there is a 'better' or certain way to live your life to be closer to God. After all if you believe in heaven and hell then you want to bring the people you love to knowledge of that God so that they can build their own relationship with Him.

From you're point of view it's wrong to 'influence' children in a parents religion. But from a believers view it would be wrong not to try and show God to their children through the teachings of that faith and their actions.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4864 on: June 01, 2013, 04:30 PM »

Hazel, what would you do if your God asked you to kill someone because they were of a different religion to yours? Would you do it?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4865 on: June 01, 2013, 04:57 PM »

Their being Christians didn't automatically make me one.
Not 'automatically' but I can guarantee that them being Christians highly, highly increased the chances that you would be one. Do you think you would be one now if they weren't? I'd be interested in your answer to that question.

From a believers view it would be wrong not to try and show God to their children through the teachings of that faith and their actions.
Yes, this is unfortunately the cycle that propagates religious views from generation to generation. The religious mind-set insists upon itself in the way that it induces a compulsion for that person to teach their children a copy of that same mind-set, this is how it 'survives' or continues on in the culture. A religion that didn't have this feature embedded into it's core wouldn't survive in the same way, as it would get diminishing through the generations of changing beliefs in the off-spring. Ironically it's rather evolutionary in the way that it works, like a psychological virus that a parent passes to their young.
[ Last edit by laundry June 01, 2013, 05:24 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4866 on: June 01, 2013, 04:58 PM »

Hazel, what would you do if your God asked you to kill someone because they were of a different religion to yours? Would you do it?

No because my God wouldn't ask me that. Hypothetic I know but I can't say yes because it's a sin to take another life. If God told me to do that then he wouldn't be God anymore- if that makes any sense Smile
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4867 on: June 01, 2013, 05:08 PM »

That doesn't really apply in my case where my "what now" is what I should do after I have found all my answers... and I have already thought about and dismissed religion.

But you did indicate you were not quite content with where you are and I was pointing that many people find contentment in religion.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4868 on: June 01, 2013, 05:13 PM »

No because my God wouldn't ask me that. Hypothetic I know but I can't say yes because it's a sin to take another life. If God told me to do that then he wouldn't be God anymore- if that makes any sense Smile
I think it does in a way, if you're saying that you wouldn't want him as your God anymore if he asked you to murder for him. Is that what you're saying?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4869 on: June 01, 2013, 05:13 PM »

But you did indicate you were not quite content with where you are and I was pointing that many people find contentment in religion.
No. I was trying to say the opposite: that I'm completely content with where I am. And that by being completely content I no longer have any drive or purpose to think about things any more.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4870 on: June 01, 2013, 05:16 PM »

You might want me to answer that question but before I do I want to say how insulting and downright annoying it is every time you basically say I'm psychologically diseased because I hold a different set of beliefs as you. How is that language any different to people who say that non-believers are sinners? Just different language presenting the same image- 'if you disagree with my beliefs then you're 'wrong' 'sick' 'sinner'.'

Not 'automatically' but I can guarantee that them being Christians highly, highly increased the chances that you would be one. Do you think you would be one now if they weren't? I'd be interested in your answer to that question.

How can I answer that? If I had different parents and childhood experience then I would be a different person now. As an adult who has made a decision that I believe in God then of course I'd say yes I would be. But if I didn't have those experiences then how can I say?
None of us grow up in an emotional or 'religious' bubble. Whether you come from a 'religious' background or not, beliefs are a part of our society and our influences as we grow. Whether it's Christian parents teaching a child about Christ or atheist  parents teaching against the existence of God, then it all centres on beliefs and religion.

I know that I have chosen to believe in God and that Christ through his life, death and resurrection has saved me and washed away my sin. I believe that through Christ's sacrifice I have the certainty of never-ending life with God. That started with a prayer asking Jesus to be my friend when I was 8, because I wanted to know more about this Jesus who cured people and loved me. Obviously at 8 I wasn't debating a complete theology or understanding all of what Jesus had done for me. At 16 I prayed another prayer thanking Jesus for saving me and asking him to help me live my life according to his will. Since then there have been other specific prayers, some asking for help, some questioning, some downright angry and annoyed.
Recently I've been struggling to connect with God, due to frustration, anxiety and pain because of my health issues. I have shut down and basically ignored God at times. But never, not even at my lowest or most frustrated have I ever thought that God wasn't there or didn't exist. I just cannot picture my world without Christ as a reality.

Sorry long and a bit of a ramble but the best I can do Smile

IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4871 on: June 01, 2013, 05:20 PM »

I think it does in a way, if you're saying that you wouldn't want him as your God anymore if he asked you to murder for him. Is that what you're saying?

I'm saying my God wouldn't ask me that so I can't say I would because it's not a possibility.

If God (the God of the Bible, God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) asked me that then he wouldn't be that God. I know that sounds like I'm avoiding but its the best I can do.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4872 on: June 01, 2013, 05:31 PM »

Yes....you are avoiding it, but you're entitled to do that if you wish. It just isn't the answer I thought I'd get. It was a serious question though, asked for a purpose......No tricks! Thanks anyway!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4873 on: June 01, 2013, 05:35 PM »

Like an Olympian.............when they finally win it they ask themselves "what now" doesn't sound much like contentment to me.   Could atheism also be a psychological virus passed on by the parents to their young?      If so, that is unfortunate, as it seems to carry with it a high degree of rudeness and arrogance.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4874 on: June 01, 2013, 05:36 PM »

I'm saying my God wouldn't ask me that so I can't say I would because it's not a possibility.

If God (the God of the Bible, God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) asked me that then he wouldn't be that God. I know that sounds like I'm avoiding but its the best I can do.

He asked Abraham to kill his son, Hazel.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 324 [325] 326 327 328 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »