Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.1%)
No (atheist) - 31 (40.8%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 325 [326] 327 328 329 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 79054 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4875 on: June 01, 2013, 05:39 PM »

He asked Abraham to kill his son, Hazel.

But he didn't let him do it though Eyebrow raise.

IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4876 on: June 01, 2013, 05:43 PM »

You might want me to answer that question but before I do I want to say how insulting and downright annoying it is every time you basically say I'm psychologically diseased because I hold a different set of beliefs as you.
Sorry I should have said virus not disease when making that comparison. But it's not like an 'actual' physical virus as it's just an idea. Sometimes being brought up with religion can have a neutral affect on a person, sometimes it can have a positive affect and sometimes it can have a negative affect. But when I was making that comparison it was with the purpose of explaining how it propagates in a similar way to that of a virus through the process of evolution, which I thought was ironic.

In any case I would only call it a 'disease' when a religion dogma induces an actual psychology disorder in the person, and it results in a serious detriment to their mental health.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4877 on: June 01, 2013, 05:55 PM »

But he didn't let him do it though Eyebrow raise.
But in God's eyes, you would have failed the test.

Which is a good thing in the eyes of any sane person of course.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4878 on: June 01, 2013, 05:56 PM »

Like an Olympian.............when they finally win it they ask themselves "what now" doesn't sound much like contentment to me
It is contentment in that they are proud and satisfied with managing to achieve what they set out to do in that particular area. But contentment doesn't necessarily give you happiness and it doesn't necessarily give you purpose either, in fact I could argue that it can commonly makes people unhappy. It just means you reached a certain goal that you set fro yourself.

Could atheism also be a psychological virus passed on by the parents to their young?
Atheist parents rarely teach their children to be atheists in the same way that religious parents do, so it doesn't really get passed on. If you were to survey atheist people and ask them if their parents or school actively taught them their own atheist views I think it would come out as a low percentage that said that happened. But if you were to survey religious people and ask them if their parents or school actively taught them their own religious views I think it would come out a rather high percentage that said that happened.
[ Last edit by laundry June 01, 2013, 06:03 PM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4879 on: June 01, 2013, 05:57 PM »

Maybe not Mark.....You can't know that for sure, because Hazel didn't answer the question!
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4880 on: June 01, 2013, 06:09 PM »

How can I answer that? If I had different parents and childhood experience then I would be a different person now.
I know you can't actually answer that question but the statistics kind of answer for you that the chances would have been much lower. A person who has Christian parents is highly more likely to grow up to be a Christian than if they had non-Christian parents (and significantly less likely again if their parents are subscribed to a different religion). I would like to see some actual statistics conducted on that though so I could get a grasp of the figures.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4881 on: June 01, 2013, 06:13 PM »

Maybe not Mark.....You can't know that for sure, because Hazel didn't answer the question!

Going with the example of Abraham then I could say yes I would do as God commanded me, but I know that God would not ask that of me.

But in God's eyes, you would have failed the test.

Which is a good thing in the eyes of any sane person of course.

Mark you and I disagree, lets leave it at that. After all considering that it's normally 'religious' people being labelled for criticizing those who don't agree with their beliefs, or of being narrow-minded. Those on here who believe there is no God are the ones calling those who believe in a God, insane and diseased (sorry infected with a virus- because that sounds so much better!)
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4882 on: June 01, 2013, 06:23 PM »

OK I've found some interesting statistics for the US on what I wanted. Although you kind of need to keep in mind that their is a strong religious culture that exists in the US that doesn't exists in other parts such as europe so I imagine the retention rates would be significantly different for atheists of non-believers if this was conducted in europe. In any case you can clearly see from those statistics that obviously a much lower percentage of atheist parents to not 'bring their children up' as atheist compared to that of religious, but this should be kind of common knowledge anyway.

From this article: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/07/14/why-arent-atheist-parents-raising-atheist-children/

[ Last edit by laundry June 01, 2013, 06:34 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4883 on: June 01, 2013, 06:59 PM »

Going with the example of Abraham then I could say yes I would do as God commanded me
I don't think you would. Take that as a compliment rather than a disagreement Very Happy
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4884 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40 PM »

OK I've found some interesting statistics for the US on what I wanted. Although you kind of need to keep in mind that their is a strong religious culture that exists in the US that doesn't exists in other parts such as europe so I imagine the retention rates would be significantly different for atheists of non-believers if this was conducted in europe. In any case you can clearly see from those statistics that obviously a much lower percentage of atheist parents to not 'bring their children up' as atheist compared to that of religious, but this should be kind of common knowledge anyway.

From this article: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/07/14/why-arent-atheist-parents-raising-atheist-children/

The percentage is of those who remain affiliated to their childhood belief.   Can we take it then that 16% of Hindus saw sense as they matured compared with 70% of atheists?
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4885 on: June 01, 2013, 08:11 PM »

I don't think you would. Take that as a compliment rather than a disagreement Very Happy
Surely no right thinking person would ?

If someone believes their god is telling them to do something which they know to the core of their being is wrong - evil, even - and they would consider doing it,  then there can be no better demonstration of how dangerous religion can be.

I have no wish to be disrespectful of people of faith, but every so often I hear about stuff said, or done, in the name of religion that appalls and dismays me.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4886 on: June 01, 2013, 08:31 PM »

The percentage is of those who remain affiliated to their childhood belief.   Can we take it then that 16% of Hindus saw sense as they matured compared with 70% of atheists?
The way I take it is 16% of those with Hindu parents saw sense despite Hindu parents highly indoctrinating their children to the religion (more so than any other religious group in the US apparently) while of those with atheist parents 20% didn't care and become agnostic, 35% stated that they changed their religion when marrying a religious partner and 15% where influenced by religious culture.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4887 on: June 01, 2013, 08:31 PM »

Surely no right thinking person would ?

If someone believes their god is telling them to do something which they know to the core of their being is wrong - evil, even - and they would consider doing it,  then there can be no better demonstration of how dangerous religion can be.

I have no wish to be disrespectful of people of faith, but every so often I hear about stuff said, or done, in the name of religion that appalls and dismays me.

I suppose using the example/lesson of Abraham and that I trust in the complete justice and love of God- that if I was commanded to do something like that, then I would trust and believe that I would not have to carry it out. However, since I don't believe that God would ever ask that of me then it's hypothetical.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4888 on: June 01, 2013, 08:37 PM »

God never asks you to do anything. If somebody starts hearing voices in their head telling them that God wants them to kill someone I suggest that they start popping some Invega.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4889 on: June 01, 2013, 08:44 PM »

God never asks you to do anything. If somebody starts hearing voices in their head telling them that God wants them to kill someone I suggest that they start popping some Invega.

You don't believe so you will scoff, but people do hear God talking to them. Not about killing people- that was a hypothetical question that someone asked me.
For some people it could be called gut instinct of just knowing that you should speak to someone or do something. It can be as simple as suddenly getting the urge to send a text to a person and you find out it was exactly what they needed at that moment.
Other people will say they've heard God speak to them as though he was in the same room, others in dreams. Some can be explained away I suppose. But others you have people feeling a sudden call on their lives and moving halfway round the world out of their comfort zone to build orphanages in India (was speaking to someone who did that last week) 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 325 [326] 327 328 329 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »