Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.1%)
No (atheist) - 31 (40.8%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 [266] 267 268 269 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 79426 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3975 on: May 15, 2012, 08:08 PM »

The logic is irrefutable. What does saying you have faith that we have free will even mean? It makes no sense.

It makes no sense to you. But you (and I include your other half in this) say that I can't say that I am right, that this is only my view. Don't then say that I'm being condescending or saying everyone else is wrong when you're now doing exactly the same.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3976 on: May 15, 2012, 08:09 PM »

It makes no sense to you. But you (and I include your other half in this) say that I can't say that I am right, that this is only my view. Don't then say that I'm being condescending or saying everyone else is wrong when you're now doing exactly the same.

On this point, you are wrong. It's so clear that it's absurd to suggest otherwise.

And what you are saying doesn't make sense in general. If it did, you would elaborate on what you mean.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3977 on: May 15, 2012, 08:20 PM »

Done with this before bullying accusations start flying.
[ Last edit by Clydey May 15, 2012, 11:06 PM ] IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3978 on: May 20, 2012, 05:03 PM »

Religion exists because of a need to explain humanity and a need to improve it. Nobody really knows the truth but its important we keep asking.  confused
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3979 on: May 30, 2012, 05:11 PM »

^^ I like it and that's why I am a 'seeker'.

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3980 on: May 30, 2012, 07:32 PM »

Been to four of these Christian classes now and it's been fun although I've disagreed with most of it. The issue of biblical vs secular morality got me into a bit of a confrontation but all ended peacefully.

In the latest meet-up, the alleged evidence for the resurrection of Jesus and how it was put to me was a little unsettling. So I'm going to be doing some research on that in the hope it's unfounded.
[ Last edit by Mark May 30, 2012, 07:36 PM ] IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3981 on: May 30, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Been to four of these Christian classes now and it's been fun although I've disagreed with most of it. The issue of biblical vs secular morality got me
In the latest meet-up, the alleged evidence for the resurrection of Jesus and how it was put to me was a little unsettling.
They nailed you to a cross or what?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3982 on: May 30, 2012, 09:51 PM »

Been to four of these Christian classes now and it's been fun although I've disagreed with most of it. The issue of biblical vs secular morality got me into a bit of a confrontation but all ended peacefully.

In the latest meet-up, the alleged evidence for the resurrection of Jesus and how it was put to me was a little unsettling. So I'm going to be doing some research on that in the hope it's unfounded.

In what way unsettling?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3983 on: May 31, 2012, 07:15 PM »

Are you only going to explore Christianity then and no other religion or other possibilities? Hinduism has some really interesting theories and it's also the oldest religion.

If you are going to make a decision in the end, then you might as well be as informative as possible. Who knows, maybe your life will be shaped on all the big decisions you will make in the future based on what you learn now.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3984 on: May 31, 2012, 07:37 PM »

In what way unsettling?
As in it was the first time I came across an aspect of Christianity that seemed to have some level of evidence behind it but I need to spend time understanding if that is actually the case or whether I've been mislead. I'm naturally inclined to believe the latter.

The reason it was unsettling is because I don't want Christianity to be true - I don't like it. So if something for a moment makes me think there is just a slight chance it could be true, it feels uncomfortable.

If you are going to make a decision in the end, then you might as well be as informative as possible.
Ideally but who really has the time to look over every religion and God in history? It would be a mammoth task. I'm looking into Christianity purely due to its global success.
[ Last edit by Mark May 31, 2012, 07:42 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3985 on: May 31, 2012, 07:41 PM »

Ideally but who really has the time to look over every religion and God in history? It would be a mammoth task. I'm looking into Christianity purely due to its global success.

In that case, it is also the religion that's losing its faith quite rapidly. Keep that in mind too.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3986 on: May 31, 2012, 07:44 PM »

I assume that fact applies for religion in general?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3987 on: May 31, 2012, 07:58 PM »

Howdidya make out with the girl, Marky-Mark?  lol
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3988 on: May 31, 2012, 08:03 PM »

Religion in general is probably decreasing but a couple of other religions are actually on the rise despite that. For example, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, Islam is the world’s fastest-growing religion by number of conversions each year.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3989 on: May 31, 2012, 08:31 PM »

In that case, it is also the religion that's losing its faith quite rapidly. Keep that in mind too.

That is an odd phrasing. People lose their faith, not the 'religion' itself. Christianity is also seeing a great increase in believers especially in China and India at the moment with God really working in those countries.

As in it was the first time I came across an aspect of Christianity that seemed to have some level of evidence behind it but I need to spend time understanding if that is actually the case or whether I've been mislead. I'm naturally inclined to believe the latter.

The reason it was unsettling is because I don't want Christianity to be true - I don't like it. So if something for a moment makes me think there is just a slight chance it could be true, it feels uncomfortable.

hug It may be uncomfortable to accept and deal with but I'm glad that you're willing to look into the chance that it's true, even knowing that you don't want it to be. I'm always willing to chat and discuss, whether on the thread or you can PM me Smile Can't promise all the answers but maybe we'll both learn something from the conversation.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 [266] 267 268 269 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »