Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.7%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: 1 ... 264 265 266 [267] 268 269 270 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 75277 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3990 on: May 31, 2012, 08:37 PM »

Howdidya make out with the girl, Marky-Mark?  lol
Sort of lost interest actually Smile

hug It may be uncomfortable to accept and deal with but I'm glad that you're willing to look into the chance that it's true, even knowing that you don't want it to be. I'm always willing to chat and discuss, whether on the thread or you can PM me Smile Can't promise all the answers but maybe we'll both learn something from the conversation.
Thanks. My default position remains that Christianity, like any religion, is very unlikely to have a direct connection to God if one exists which I think is improbable.

But the biggest hurdle here is convincing me that God of Christianity is a good God, that will take a lot.
[ Last edit by Mark May 31, 2012, 08:42 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3991 on: May 31, 2012, 08:37 PM »

That is an odd phrasing. People lose their faith, not the 'religion' itself. Christianity is also seeing a great increase in believers especially in China and India at the moment with God really working in those countries.

hug It may be uncomfortable to accept and deal with but I'm glad that you're willing to look into the chance that it's true, even knowing that you don't want it to be. I'm always willing to chat and discuss, whether on the thread or you can PM me Smile Can't promise all the answers but maybe we'll both learn something from the conversation.

Can you please back that information up with some stats maybe? I've been to India many times btw.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3992 on: May 31, 2012, 09:53 PM »

Can you please back that information up with some stats maybe? I've been to India many times btw.

I speak from getting various missionary updates through church, newsletters from charities I support etc.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3993 on: May 31, 2012, 10:05 PM »

Mark... let me know how it goes.. I'm genuinely interested.
Haze... happy for you that you have your faith and it gives you comfort and joy.
Emma.. Not sure, but I think I remember you saying a while back you were Muslim? If so, a practising one?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3994 on: June 01, 2012, 02:03 AM »

I am Muslim but I don't practice it. My family is not all that religious either.

I don't want to follow any religion specifically simply because I like finding things my way and also, it pretty much closes all other possibilities out there when you blindly follow what you were told when you grew up. I guess that's what faith is all about but I am a risk taker and I like my chances. Besides, it's so much fun to explore and establish your own theories. I am more into spiritual science though. Just plain simple science doesn't attract me as much as it can only explain the physical world and the known world, but I believe the Universe is both made of seen and unseen things (the other dimension of the physical world). Another drawback for me as far as science is concerned is that, it can only explain things in parts but as a whole, the meaning could be entirely different and I find it quite dangerous. So I don’t take it as the final conclusion no matter what the findings are…scientifically speaking.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3995 on: June 01, 2012, 02:05 AM »

I speak from getting various missionary updates through church, newsletters from charities I support etc.

People in that region (South Asia) believe these Christian Missionaries in that part of the region work with a certain agenda.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean June 01, 2012, 02:29 AM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3996 on: June 01, 2012, 03:12 AM »

I'm posting this in both the 'religiious thread' and the 'spooks, spectres and the supernatural' threads.
I'm neither superstitious, nor religious...but I saw this today and thought of both of these threads.
I just thought it was a cool, and, (to me) mathematical story.
I really do wish with all my heart I could join you folks... but my brain tells me otherwise.
Enjoy and believe... and I really do give you my respect. Smile

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-news/addison-logan-buys-polaroid-camera-garage-sale-finds-173808835.html
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3997 on: June 01, 2012, 10:17 AM »

Been to four of these Christian classes now and it's been fun although I've disagreed with most of it. The issue of biblical vs secular morality got me into a bit of a confrontation but all ended peacefully.

In the latest meet-up, the alleged evidence for the resurrection of Jesus and how it was put to me was a little unsettling. So I'm going to be doing some research on that in the hope it's unfounded.
Mark, I'm surprised that you seem surprised to find that there may be certain elements of 'truth' in the story of Jesus. Just remember though that 'one swallow does not a summer make'! If you are unsure about anything, you should offer it up for open discussion on here. That way, you will get a consensus of opinions.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3998 on: June 01, 2012, 12:04 PM »

Mark, I'm surprised that you seem surprised to find that there may be certain elements of 'truth' in the story of Jesus. Just remember though that 'one swallow does not a summer make'! If you are unsure about anything, you should offer it up for open discussion on here. That way, you will get a consensus of opinions.

That's what he's been doing Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #3999 on: June 01, 2012, 12:08 PM »

No.....He hasn't Hazel! Has he told you exactly what he's having trouble with? Because he hasn't told anyone else, unless I've missed it!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4000 on: June 01, 2012, 12:42 PM »

No.....He hasn't Hazel! Has he told you exactly what he's having trouble with? Because he hasn't told anyone else, unless I've missed it!

He's said, somewhere on here about the fact that he's been able to discuss stuff. That's the whole point of these courses. You just sounded a bit condescending, Mark is always going to bring his problems and thoughts on topics to discussions when he has the chance to talk out both sides of the topic.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4001 on: June 01, 2012, 12:55 PM »

Where? Here?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4002 on: June 01, 2012, 12:59 PM »

Where? Here?

I think so I can't remember and I'm not searching for it.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4003 on: June 01, 2012, 01:06 PM »

I mean......where is he going to bring his problems and thoughts on topics to discuss?  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4004 on: June 01, 2012, 07:45 PM »

I mean......where is he going to bring his problems and thoughts on topics to discuss?  Rolling Eyes

To the course he going too. Which is what he's been talking about
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 266 [267] 268 269 270 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »