Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.1%)
No (atheist) - 31 (40.8%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 79196 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4005 on: June 01, 2012, 11:59 PM »

Mark, I'm surprised that you seem surprised to find that there may be certain elements of 'truth' in the story of Jesus.
Nah, I knew already parts of the story of Jesus have some truth to them. I was specifically referring to the resurrection.

If you are unsure about anything, you should offer it up for open discussion on here. That way, you will get a consensus of opinions.
As mentioned earlier, I'm looking into the authenticity of the resurrection.
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4006 on: June 02, 2012, 12:03 AM »

Mark , I hope you find what you are looking for.

There is really no point in trying to convince anyone as far as I see it. Until you have a personal experience , you wont understand.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4007 on: June 02, 2012, 12:29 AM »

Mark , I hope you find what you are looking for.

There is really no point in trying to convince anyone as far as I see it. Until you have a personal experience , you wont understand.
From talking to Christians, I was under the impression many people don't have these personal experiences. Bit unfair on them.
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4008 on: June 02, 2012, 12:39 AM »

well then those people are hung up on a " religion " and not a relationship .. big difference , as most things in religion are man made rules
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4009 on: June 02, 2012, 02:01 AM »

As in it was the first time I came across an aspect of Christianity that seemed to have some level of evidence behind it but I need to spend time understanding if that is actually the case or whether I've been mislead. I'm naturally inclined to believe the latter.

The reason it was unsettling is because I don't want Christianity to be true - I don't like it. So if something for a moment makes me think there is just a slight chance it could be true, it feels uncomfortable.
Ideally but who really has the time to look over every religion and God in history? It would be a mammoth task. I'm looking into Christianity purely due to its global success.

They presented evidence that a man rose from the dead? I'm all ears.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4010 on: June 02, 2012, 02:03 AM »

That is an odd phrasing. People lose their faith, not the 'religion' itself. Christianity is also seeing a great increase in believers especially in China and India at the moment with God really working in those countries.

If they lose their faith, it naturally follows that they have lost their religion.

IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4011 on: June 02, 2012, 02:08 AM »

well then those people are hung up on a " religion " and not a relationship .. big difference , as most things in religion are man made rules

Basically the evidence for your faith is entirely subjective? That's convenient. People generally don't get off the hook that easily when they are asked to defend their political beliefs.

Very hard for me to remain composed in this kind of discussion. There's so much rubbish I want to address, but I'll probably get called a bully or some other nonsense.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4012 on: June 02, 2012, 02:40 AM »

They presented evidence that a man rose from the dead? I'm all ears.
Not hard evidence as you know but apparently there were independent eye witness accounts which counts for something. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.
[ Last edit by Mark June 02, 2012, 02:43 AM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4013 on: June 02, 2012, 02:41 AM »

Not hard evidence as you know but apparently there were independent eye witness accounts which counts for something. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

There are eyewitness accounts for all sorts of insanity.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4014 on: June 02, 2012, 02:41 AM »

There are eyewitness accounts for all sorts of insanity.
Indeed but it still surprised me nevertheless - didn't think they had that.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4015 on: June 02, 2012, 06:48 AM »

Mark, Though there may have been witnesses who saw him 'rise up', I can't see how they can present that as proof, as those witnesses are no longer around to testify and even if they were..... can they prove that he really was dead in the first place? I have read of people who believe that Jesus was taken down from the cross while he was still alive!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4016 on: June 02, 2012, 12:18 PM »

I had a thought in the shower this morning that made me feel frustrated.

As a mild atheist I naturally tend to think that if God exists, why doesn't he just prove it rather than do such a good job at concealing it. But then what frustrated me was when I started to think of scenarios that would prove his existence I was left wanting.

If this alleged God took me into space and flew me around, does that prove he is God? No because it could simply be intelligent life from another planet who has mastered space travel to a level we don't recognise. If life does discover us from another world, that life would most likely be significantly more advanced than us to the degree their technology would appear to be supernatural.

So my question to everyone is what could God do to prove himself?
[ Last edit by Mark June 02, 2012, 12:23 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4017 on: June 02, 2012, 12:33 PM »

That's a bit deep for your morning shower Mark.

Think

Seeing is believing? dontknow
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4018 on: June 02, 2012, 12:58 PM »

Seeing is believing? dontknow
That's the problem - it isn't. It would have been once but our knowledge of the universe now means we have to accept intelligent life is probably out there having occurred multiple times.

So seeing God could simply be advanced technology to another. Much like if we went back in time long enough you could easily fool the world into thinking you are God.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4019 on: June 02, 2012, 01:00 PM »

Maybe it's more plausible that there's life out there and that one god didn't just create us and no-one else? dontknow

Do you want to believe?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »