Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.7%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: 1 ... 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 ... 334 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Religious Discussions  (Read 71278 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4110 on: November 01, 2012, 10:18 AM »

Mark, no amount of 'research' will give you the answers, as you'll be looking in all the wrong places!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4111 on: November 01, 2012, 10:20 AM »

What do you consider to be the right places?

I don't expect to find all the answers but I think we have enough answers to make a decision on the probability of a God. And more than enough on the subject of religion.
[ Last edit by Mark November 01, 2012, 10:23 AM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4112 on: November 01, 2012, 10:28 AM »

Yes, you may well have a probability factor, but that's all it will be. I've already told you where to look.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4113 on: November 01, 2012, 10:44 AM »

I've already told you where to look.
About God? I don't remember.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4114 on: November 01, 2012, 08:31 PM »

I liked the quote from the letter to Einstein

"There is a mean streak in anyone who will destroy another's faith."

Atheists seem to be getting a lot of media coverage at the moment and it's perhaps time the Christian Church fought back and reminded everyone about the help it gives in communities and round the world. The only time you ever hear a Christian on the telly now is in a debate about gay marriage or an exposee of paedophile priests.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4115 on: November 01, 2012, 08:50 PM »

Atheists seem to be getting a lot of media coverage at the moment and it's perhaps time the Christian Church fought back and reminded everyone about the help it gives in communities and round the world. The only time you ever hear a Christian on the telly now is in a debate about gay marriage or an exposee of paedophile priests.

You're funny.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4116 on: November 01, 2012, 10:01 PM »

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4117 on: November 02, 2012, 06:19 AM »

Well.....I wonder why that could be!  Think Hmmm........Could that include the richest church in the world who tell 'the faithful' [who are some of the poorest people in the world btw] that it's a sin to use contraception, so that there will be more people filling the pews on Sunday and putting money in the plate? The same church that scare little children by telling them that if they miss mass on Sunday 'even once' and then die without confessing that they will burn in the fires of hell for all eternity? [money in the plate] Could that be the church who excommunicated a good, God loving woman who dared to divorce the man who kicked the **** out of her on a regular basis for years and caused her to miscarry her/his baby causing her to almost die? Oh........she was still allowed to attend church on Sunday, [money in the plate] but was 'not' allowed to receive the sacraments! [which broke her heart] As for the 'coverup' of their vile paedophile priests who they tried to hide away and allowed to keep on practising [money in the plate] ........Well, don't even start me on that one!
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4118 on: November 03, 2012, 06:30 PM »

Well.....I wonder why that could be!  Think Hmmm........Could that include the richest church in the world who tell 'the faithful' [who are some of the poorest people in the world btw] that it's a sin to use contraception, so that there will be more people filling the pews on Sunday and putting money in the plate? The same church that scare little children by telling them that if they miss mass on Sunday 'even once' and then die without confessing that they will burn in the fires of hell for all eternity? [money in the plate] Could that be the church who excommunicated a good, God loving woman who dared to divorce the man who kicked the sh*t out of her on a regular basis for years and caused her to miscarry her/his baby causing her to almost die? Oh........she was still allowed to attend church on Sunday, [money in the plate] but was 'not' allowed to receive the sacraments! [which broke her heart] As for the 'coverup' of their vile paedophile priests who they tried to hide away and allowed to keep on practising [money in the plate] ........Well, don't even start me on that one!
The teachings of christ say exactly the opposite. JC said look after the poor, don't judge anybody and protect the children. I expect he would be pro abortion and equal apportunities. I don't defend the groteque perversion of christianity that has gone on in the catholic church for hundreds of years - but I do think that the new testament christian message is worth preserving. I also think there are some genuinely good Christian people doing good things in the community who should not be despised for their beliefs. The word Christian is used so disparagingly sometimes now as if it was some horrible right wing middle class  disease. Christ himself was more left wing than any of you.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4119 on: November 04, 2012, 10:36 AM »

MT.......There are millions of good Christian people in the world, my family and most of my friends among them! It is 'not' those people I despise, but the 'churches' who take advantage of them, by making them feel that if they are not a member of the church and do not follow the rules of the church [do as they're told] then they will not get to heaven! This is a lie! Churches are nothing more than businesses who take blatant advantage of people's good faith. Two of the best men I have ever had the privilege to know, were ministers of the church. The first was a Franciscan Monk who was attached to the Catholic church and the other was a Church of England vicar. Such men are at the bottom of the chain and are mostly [but not always] good men. It's the ones at the top who live in luxury thanks to the donations of in some cases, people who have very little that I despise.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4120 on: November 04, 2012, 12:49 PM »

I agree with you Caz. It is time that the RC church allowed priests to marry. I think it is not natural for men to forgo a loving relationship. After all most of the other branches of religion can marry. The high the positions in the church seem to be the one who cover up for priests and send them to new parishes. Too many priests are getting away with it, its time for the church to give up those men who abuse kids.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4121 on: November 04, 2012, 01:19 PM »

I don't think men are driven to abuse children simply because they don't have the ability to marry.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4122 on: November 04, 2012, 03:43 PM »

I don't think men are driven to abuse children simply because they don't have the ability to marry.

It's not just that. It's largely the result of the forcible repression of an individual's sexuality. When that happens, there can be deviant manifestations of that sexuality. Add to that the fact that children can be taken advantage of and you have a recipe for child sexual abuse.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4123 on: November 04, 2012, 06:22 PM »

MT.......There are millions of good Christian people in the world, my family and most of my friends among them! It is 'not' those people I despise, but the 'churches' who take advantage of them, by making them feel that if they are not a member of the church and do not follow the rules of the church [do as they're told] then they will not get to heaven! This is a lie! Churches are nothing more than businesses who take blatant advantage of people's good faith. Two of the best men I have ever had the privilege to know, were ministers of the church. The first was a Franciscan Monk who was attached to the Catholic church and the other was a Church of England vicar. Such men are at the bottom of the chain and are mostly [but not always] good men. It's the ones at the top who live in luxury thanks to the donations of in some cases, people who have very little that I despise.
My point exactly, Caz. The vociferous, harsh anti-christian, anti any religion lobby need to understand that it is not all bad and that virtually all of the things they say they want in society ie tolerance, equality, forgiveness, compassion etc. are derived from the message of Christ. I don't believe in God myself but have seen for myself the comfort faith can bring . I expect the same can be said of other faiths and if so good on them. What gives anybody the right to say you can't believe in something? Dawkins? Fascist.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4124 on: November 04, 2012, 07:01 PM »

What gives anybody the right to say you can't believe in something? Dawkins? Fascist.
Dawkins has never been against people freely choosing to believe in a religion but simply against indoctrination and the role of religion in decision making at the highest levels.

Yes, he clearly has little respect for the religious but his actual stance on the subject seems fair.
[ Last edit by Mark November 04, 2012, 07:05 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 ... 334 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »