Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (47.3%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40.5%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 9 (12.2%)
Total Voters: 73

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 275 [276] 277 278 279 ... 333 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Religious Discussions  (Read 70287 times)
MT
Futures Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4125 on: November 04, 2012, 07:33 PM »

Dawkins has never been against people freely choosing to believe in a religion but simply against indoctrination and the role of religion in decision making at the highest levels.

Yes, he clearly has little respect for the religious but his actual stance on the subject seems fair.

I had a look at some of his quotes and I think you're right. Withdraw fascist remark.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/richarddaw447496.html
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4126 on: November 04, 2012, 09:39 PM »

My point exactly, Caz. The vociferous, harsh anti-christian, anti any religion lobby need to understand that it is not all bad and that virtually all of the things they say they want in society ie tolerance, equality, forgiveness, compassion etc. are derived from the message of Christ. I don't believe in God myself but have seen for myself the comfort faith can bring . I expect the same can be said of other faiths and if so good on them. What gives anybody the right to say you can't believe in something? Dawkins? Fascist.

You might actually want to read Dawkins' work before criticising him with a blatant strawman.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4127 on: November 04, 2012, 09:40 PM »

I had a look at some of his quotes and I think you're right. Withdraw fascist remark.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/richarddaw447496.html

What a novel idea. Reading up on a subject before commenting on it.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4128 on: November 04, 2012, 09:42 PM »

People have misconceptions about a lot of things. He had the decency to concede he was mistaken.

Moving on.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4129 on: November 05, 2012, 02:36 AM »

What a novel idea. Reading up on a subject before commenting on it.
How very snotty of you. This is a discussion forum not an exam. Dawkins is often quoted and probably misquoted by those who are intolerant of Christians. I followed up Mark's comment and saw that he was right and conceded that he was.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4130 on: November 05, 2012, 02:43 AM »

How very snotty of you. This is a discussion forum not an exam. Dawkins is often quoted and probably misquoted by those who are intolerant of Christians. I followed up Mark's comment and saw that he was right and conceded that he was.

I appreciate that you conceded you were wrong, but I still get tired of people speaking on subjects they know nothing about.

And no, he is not misquoted by those who are intolerant of Christians. He is misquoted by people like you, who act as apologists for Christians.

You can't misrepresent the man's views, then turn around and blame people like me for misquoting him.

Go watch Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. It's a right wing Christian propaganda film. You'll get a sense of why I have no sympathy for Christians.

You think Christians have it rough? Try being an atheist in a country like America.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4131 on: November 05, 2012, 07:28 AM »

My point exactly, Caz. The vociferous, harsh anti-christian, anti any religion lobby need to understand that it is not all bad and that virtually all of the things they say they want in society ie tolerance, equality, forgiveness, compassion etc. are derived from the message of Christ. I don't believe in God myself but have seen for myself the comfort faith can bring . I expect the same can be said of other faiths and if so good on them. What gives anybody the right to say you can't believe in something? Dawkins? Fascist.
On the contrary MT.......You've missed my point entirely!
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4132 on: November 06, 2012, 01:20 AM »

On the contrary MT.......You've missed my point entirely!
I thought you were agreeing with me that there are many good Christians. Clydey,  atheists in USA are not persecuted. Now if you were a  fourteen year old Christian girl in Egypt , . .
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4133 on: November 06, 2012, 02:23 AM »

I thought you were agreeing with me that there are many good Christians. Clydey,  atheists in USA are not persecuted. Now if you were a  fourteen year old Christian girl in Egypt , . .

Are you kidding me?

It is almost impossible to get elected to office as an atheist. There is precisely one openly atheist member of congress. There are doubtless more actual atheists, but they can't be open about it without committing career suicide.

Atheist kids are bullied and their families are hounded to move out of town.

Once again you're speaking on a subject you don't know a thing about. Here's a study showing that atheists are trusted to the same extent as rapists in the USA.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/315425

Here's a 20/20 segment on atheist persecution.

Now watch this clip where Steve Harvey basically states that atheists are immoral.

That is a mainstream talkshow hosted by Tyra Banks.

No one batted an eyelid. In his bigoted statement, replace atheist with "black", "Jewish", "gay", or really any minority you can think of. Can you imagine the outrage there would be?

One day you'll learn to keep your mouth shut until you've done some research.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4134 on: November 11, 2012, 11:22 PM »

Are you kidding me?

It is almost impossible to get elected to office as an atheist. There is precisely one openly atheist member of congress. There are doubtless more actual atheists, but they can't be open about it without committing career suicide.

Atheist kids are bullied and their families are hounded to move out of town.

Once again you're speaking on a subject you don't know a thing about. Here's a study showing that atheists are trusted to the same extent as rapists in the USA.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/315425

Here's a 20/20 segment on atheist persecution.

Now watch this clip where Steve Harvey basically states that atheists are immoral.

That is a mainstream talkshow hosted by Tyra Banks.

No one batted an eyelid. In his bigoted statement, replace atheist with "black", "Jewish", "gay", or really any minority you can think of. Can you imagine the outrage there would be?

One day you'll learn to keep your mouth shut until you've done some research.
One day you need to look up persecution in the dictionary.
The persecution of Christians in the 10/40 Window has increased by 400 percent over the last 10 years
"Americans who have not experienced persecution do not fully understand what it means to have their lives threatened, homes destroyed, rights violated and loved ones imprisoned, all because of embracing faith in Jesus Christ," said K. P. Yohannan, GFA founder and president, in a statement. "In the 14 countries we serve, persecution of this sort has become a normal way of life, especially for those directly involved in mission work."
The 10/40 Window is a section of the world – between 10 and 40 degrees north of the equator – that encompasses those nations that have been least reached with the Gospel message. These nations include China, India, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Sudan and Nigeria, just to name a few.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4135 on: November 11, 2012, 11:38 PM »

One day you need to look up persecution in the dictionary.
The persecution of Christians in the 10/40 Window has increased by 400 percent over the last 10 years
"Americans who have not experienced persecution do not fully understand what it means to have their lives threatened, homes destroyed, rights violated and loved ones imprisoned, all because of embracing faith in Jesus Christ," said K. P. Yohannan, GFA founder and president, in a statement. "In the 14 countries we serve, persecution of this sort has become a normal way of life, especially for those directly involved in mission work."
The 10/40 Window is a section of the world – between 10 and 40 degrees north of the equator – that encompasses those nations that have been least reached with the Gospel message. These nations include China, India, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Sudan and Nigeria, just to name a few.

What does that have to do with the United States? You have basically offered a quote that has nothing to do with persecution in the United States.

I offered you proof to back up what I said. You haven't even attempted to refute it.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4136 on: November 14, 2012, 02:23 PM »

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4137 on: November 14, 2012, 09:11 PM »

What a brave little girl! Little girl.........big heart.........big courage! The world needs more like her! Thanks Veronica!
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4138 on: November 14, 2012, 09:48 PM »

Yeah, she was shot in an assassination attempt by the Taliban last month.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4139 on: November 14, 2012, 11:57 PM »

My Religion is Sport, not even a joke.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 275 [276] 277 278 279 ... 333 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »