Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Somdev Devvarman, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.7%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: 1 ... 282 283 284 [285] 286 287 288 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 77721 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4260 on: November 18, 2012, 02:15 AM »

It's irrelevant whether Sam Harris has suffered the same condition. Should we believe every lunatic who thinks they are the son of god, purely because we cannot relate to their experience?

Your whole belief system is based on wishful thinking. You are so invested in the idea of life after death that I doubt anything could sway you.

I believe there's a vast difference between a person who has suffered cancer and a person who only has the idea of it. That's why Sam Harris can afford to be this stupid because he has now experience of it.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4261 on: November 18, 2012, 02:19 AM »

I believe there's a vast difference between a person who has suffered cancer and a person who only has the idea of it. That's why Sam Harris can afford to be this stupid because he has now experience of it.

So you're saying oncologists are essentially useless unless they have had cancer in addition to their years of medical training?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4262 on: November 18, 2012, 02:38 AM »

That's very well said, Aileen. I think you will enjoy his video as well. Unfortunately, we live in a material world where true experiences are ignored or dismissed by these fundamentalists and mainstream science. 
Which is why I don't want any further involvement in this debate.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4263 on: November 18, 2012, 02:57 AM »

That's one way to avoid having your views challenged. Just hit and run.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4264 on: November 18, 2012, 05:42 AM »

One of my favourite threads.  I can only bring my own real life experences to it:

- Genuine inquisitiveness.
- Humour.
- Said Cheerio! to Stage3B cancer and have experienced being in a comatose state.
- Currently still under extremely boring current care of my dear Oncologist (every 6 weeks.. Rolling Eyes)
- Sister and friend of Psychic believers.
- Shameful ex Catholic/Christian/anything-to-do-with-religion survivor.
- Current host of 2 Muslim students in our home (been here 2 years.)

Please do continue...

[ Last edit by scotnadian November 18, 2012, 05:48 AM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4265 on: November 18, 2012, 06:40 AM »

Oh Zarfeen...lol, you have no reason to show Mark more respect than you already show just because he's the forum owner. Mind you, ignorance is a bliss. :p

Nah, he really did a good thing by making this website. I don't know what would happened if this wasn't there...
Thank you Mark! Smile
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4266 on: November 18, 2012, 10:28 AM »

Nah, he really did a good thing by making this website. I don't know what would happened if this wasn't there...
Thank you Mark! Smile
hug
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4267 on: November 18, 2012, 02:49 PM »

- Current host of 2 Muslim students in our home (been here 2 years.)

Seriously, Emma and me are the only ones huh??
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4268 on: November 18, 2012, 03:49 PM »

To me it's a case of empirical evidence far out-weighing any amount of theorising or hypothesis - and here I rest my case.

How could he know his brain was not functioning while he had his experiences?
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4269 on: November 18, 2012, 03:52 PM »

Fiverings... are you going to answer my simple question?

What is the difference between your belief that ice is conscious and the belief that ice can make choices? You seem to think one is daft. How do you make the distinction?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4270 on: November 18, 2012, 04:21 PM »

So you're saying oncologists are essentially useless unless they have had cancer in addition to their years of medical training?

No, that's not what I am saying. That's what you are saying. I am saying there's a vast difference between an oncologist who has just graduated and the one who not only has the knowledge, but also, has the experience of practicing in real life. That's why people want to go to experienced doctors as opposed to the ones who have just graduated. This is the difference between a pilot who has already flown many times than a pilot who has just learned how to fly. Therefore, there's a vast difference between an experienced pilot and a novice one. You should have been able to grasp this a long time ago, frankly.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4271 on: November 18, 2012, 04:25 PM »

I perfectly understand this. I don't visit this thread as often I must admit. In fact, I was on this thread a few weeks ago but then WTF came along and I never visited this again until I saw Zarfeen's name on the thread a couple of days ago and wondered what she was doing here. I still haven't read those few pages in between so have no idea what was said after I left. Not even remotely curious. 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4272 on: November 18, 2012, 04:35 PM »

How could he know his brain was not functioning while he had his experiences?

Because he was in the ER under a formed medical experts who were monitoring his brain condition every day which showed no activity for 7 days. His brain condition was irreversible in medical terms. He was told about his brain condition once he woke up; that's how he knew.

You see, it's not like he was looking after himself at home.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4273 on: November 18, 2012, 04:47 PM »

Fiverings... are you going to answer my simple question?

What is the difference between your belief that ice is conscious and the belief that ice can make choices? You seem to think one is daft. How do you make the distinction?

In quantum physics, everything is a possibility first and only takes a form or shape in the objective universe once you look at it; as in, when the observer looks at it, it then takes a form of actuality. This was the missing link for a long time until Heisenberg came along and established it. Consciousness is a non local entity outside time and space that uses non signal communication as opposed to material world/universe, where everything uses signal and everything is connected. Consciousness, on the other hand, is no where to be found because of its invisible non local nature and yet it is everything there is including ice; hence ice has consciousness and can make choices as the ice is not its true self but only a manifestation of the consciousness' self.

It's a very hard concept to follow for materialists I get that.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean November 18, 2012, 04:51 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4274 on: November 18, 2012, 05:01 PM »

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 284 [285] 286 287 288 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »