Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.7%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: 1 ... 293 294 295 [296] 297 298 299 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 77106 times)
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4425 on: January 08, 2013, 10:15 AM »

It wasn't your reappearance that provoked my response, but what you said in your post, i.e.
"but really can't be bothered defending myself if I contribute", the inference being that you consider yourself to be so important that everyone would be attacking what you said.
  Actually, I took the opposite, that HB was nervous about entering the lion's den that is MW on this topic!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4426 on: January 08, 2013, 10:41 AM »

That's what I thought too Fiverings!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4427 on: January 08, 2013, 10:59 AM »

Thank you for those that saw it my way. It was meant half in jest but the other half, its not that I view myself as more important Rolling Eyes its that I know most folk on here don't agree with my beliefs and we just go over the same ground again and again, so not going to start again.
But I do find it interesting to read this thread.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4428 on: January 08, 2013, 11:29 AM »

I'm with you HB.   Thought Aileen's post was a bit nasty.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4429 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17 PM »

Was it? I couldn't tell - honest confession. But to be fair, HB was equally hard on Aileen. What I often wonder about is that, if people believe in Jesus then how many truly follow his teachings? Can’t see him reacting either way.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4430 on: January 08, 2013, 07:40 PM »

Well I rarely contribute to this discussion as It seems to be so negative. Live and let live is my moto and you do not upset others who have different beliefs.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4431 on: January 09, 2013, 04:11 AM »

I'm with you HB.   Thought Aileen's post was a bit nasty.
So presumably you thought HB's response was friendly? Rolling Eyes

Look - Hazel and I go back a long way on this thread.  OK, so that isn't an excuse for either of us, but unfortunately a good degree of personal animosity crept in, the reasons for which I don't propose to go into, but please don't pass judgement on things you know nothing about.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4432 on: January 09, 2013, 11:17 AM »

So presumably you thought HB's response was friendly? Rolling Eyes

Look - Hazel and I go back a long way on this thread.  OK, so that isn't an excuse for either of us, but unfortunately a good degree of personal animosity crept in, the reasons for which I don't propose to go into, but please don't pass judgement on things you know nothing about.

Of course I didn't.   That's a ridiculous thing to say.   There can be two reactions to a nasty post - you can either be nasty back or ignore it.   HB  chose the first option.    I wasn't passing judgement on your relationship with HB about which I know nothing - nor do I want to - but merely on the post.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4433 on: January 09, 2013, 12:27 PM »

Please give it a break guys. You may not like Hazel but if you're going to criticise her, at least do it over something that warrants it.

She was simply expressing that her absence of opinion was not because she didn't have one to give. But instead an admission that her opinion, as it usually is in this thread, would put her in the minority and therefore didn't feel like a debate over it.

Was such a post unnecessary? Perhaps. But it was innocent nevertheless.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4434 on: January 09, 2013, 07:09 PM »

Please give it a break guys. You may not like Hazel but if you're going to criticise her, at least do it over something that warrants it.

She was simply expressing that her absence of opinion was not because she didn't have one to give. But instead an admission that her opinion, as it usually is in this thread, would put her in the minority and therefore didn't feel like a debate over it.

Was such a post unnecessary? Perhaps. But it was innocent nevertheless.
I like the way everyone rushes to Hazel's aid. Rolling Eyes  Meanwhile I'm supposed to sit and calmly take her insulting personal, and ageist, response: "I really don't get what your problem is...oh wait, I do. You're a bitter and twisted old woman who likes to be a **** over the smallest of things?  Thankfully there are many people on this forum who know that this accusation is completely untrue.  I admit I can be a bit sharp at times, but usually only if I'm riled - and I don't think I'm alone here.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4435 on: January 09, 2013, 07:26 PM »

I'm just defending the original comment which started this. She wasn't the person who attacked first.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4436 on: January 09, 2013, 07:31 PM »

mmmm There used to be an old convention that, in company, one should never discuss religion or politics. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's easy to see where it comes from, given the passions that can be stirred.
peace.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4437 on: January 09, 2013, 07:38 PM »

One mans meat is another ones poison. True and it will always be so.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4438 on: January 09, 2013, 07:41 PM »

I'm just defending the original comment which started this. She wasn't the person who attacked first.
That still doesn't excuse her particularly vicious response, given that it's far from the truth, although goodness knows I've had plenty in my life to feel bitter about, but if Hazel sees me in that light, then so be it.

mmmm There used to be an old convention that, in company, one should never discuss religion or politics. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's easy to see where it comes from, given the passions that can be stirred.
peace.
My mother used to warn me against doing that.  Maybe I should have taken her advice.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4439 on: January 09, 2013, 08:19 PM »

My mother used to warn me against doing that.  Maybe I should have taken her advice.
[/quote]

Aye, mums know best !
I do sometimes think there is a general difficulty with text-based communication. Problem is there's no way to convey the nuances of tone that would be present in facial expression and  body language. Everything becomes so 'black & white'. I find it best to follow any contentious comment with one of those wee smiley face guys, or 'lol'.  lol ! w00t
[ Last edit by sidtypical January 09, 2013, 08:34 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 295 [296] 297 298 299 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »