Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.1%)
No (atheist) - 31 (40.8%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: 1 ... 297 298 299 [300] 301 302 303 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 82142 times)
michelle
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4485 on: February 13, 2013, 04:38 PM »

Do you apply for the Papacy? Seriously, how does it work? Do they all do a pitch in the conclave and the one with the most mates wins? Or do you rig some holy trick that tips your competitors out the barrow? Or is it all dirty politics?
None of the above.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4486 on: February 13, 2013, 04:47 PM »

Do you apply for the Papacy? Seriously, how does it work?i
God knows. Shrug
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4487 on: February 13, 2013, 04:49 PM »

No, and that’s simply because the anti-Christ has to come from somewhere where people won't hesitate to put their trust into someone or some institute (religious) where it’s least likely to occur. Chinese are an easy target and too predictable. You are not seeing the irony of it all. The anti-Christ has to come from ether the Jews or Christians where the idea had originated first, otherwise it would defeat its own purpose. devil
  I wasn't being entirely serious, Emma Jean.  I don't think the Israeli/Palestine question will ever be settled the way the world is presently configured. And I don't recall that the Antichrist was expected to be nurtured in the bosom of the "Christian" world, just that he/she/it would stand in  total opposition to "Christian" values. But I really don't know much about the detail, I admit, however you've piqued my interest enough to research it a bit.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4488 on: February 13, 2013, 04:56 PM »

God knows. Shrug
Do some research.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4489 on: February 13, 2013, 05:28 PM »

I wasn't being entirely serious, Emma Jean.  I don't think the Israeli/Palestine question will ever be settled the way the world is presently configured. And I don't recall that the Antichrist was expected to be nurtured in the bosom of the "Christian" world, just that he/she/it would stand in  total opposition to "Christian" values. But I really don't know much about the detail, I admit, however you've piqued my interest enough to research it a bit.

I know, I know my dearest Fiverings. I was giving you the irony back. :p

The idea of Anti-Christ is to gain trust first and if the figure comes from any other religion, it won't be successful to begin with. I know Muslims are very strong right now but so are the Christians and the Jews. Therefore, it has to come from a source where it will be able to establish the trust right away without any extra work.

Of course what I believe is another matter but this makes a good discussion nonetheless.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4490 on: February 13, 2013, 07:17 PM »

Do you apply for the Papacy? Seriously, how does it work? Do they all do a pitch in the conclave and the one with the most mates wins? Or do you rig some holy trick that tips your competitors out the barrow? Or is it all dirty politics?
From the Toronto Star - http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/02/11/pope_benedict_resigns_how_do_they_elect_a_new_pope.html

What really freaked me was the unseasonal thunderstorm which broke out over Rome within hours of the Pope's resignation and a bolt of lightning struck the dome of St Peter's Basilica not once, as was originally reported, but twice, although this was the one which was actually photographed ... nervous  Was a higher power trying to tell us something?

IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4491 on: February 13, 2013, 07:25 PM »

From the Toronto Star - http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/02/11/pope_benedict_resigns_how_do_they_elect_a_new_pope.html

What really freaked me was the unseasonal thunderstorm which broke out over Rome within hours of the Pope's resignation and a bolt of lightning struck the dome of St Peter's Basilica not once, as was originally reported, but twice, although this was the one which was actually photographed ... nervous  Was a higher power trying to tell us something?

Probably - thank the Lord the Old Git has given up... 
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4492 on: February 13, 2013, 07:38 PM »

^ Sorry - that was a bit crass - but I can't get on board with 'goodness' being tied up in one of the richest cities in this world where wealth is kept for inane reasons and elevates you above others.  The Vatican doesn't ever want to share - even with it's own and just continues to push guilt on people. 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4493 on: February 13, 2013, 07:52 PM »

A sign! God is warning us in advance of the upcoming Anti-Christ!! lol

Seriously, that is kind of errie.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4494 on: February 13, 2013, 08:02 PM »

A sign! God is warning us in advance of the upcoming Anti-Christ!! lol

Seriously, that is kind of errie.
A bit fecking late - don't you think?
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4495 on: February 13, 2013, 09:20 PM »

I'd want to know how often this happens at this time of year before reaching for my rosary.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4496 on: February 13, 2013, 09:27 PM »

^ Sorry - that was a bit crass - but I can't get on board with 'goodness' being tied up in one of the richest cities in this world where wealth is kept for inane reasons and elevates you above others.  The Vatican doesn't ever want to share - even with it's own and just continues to push guilt on people.  
I apologise if I offend any Catholics who might read this, but I agree with Elly, especially about the Vatican's vast trove of riches - and yet many of the poorest countries in the world are RC.  I just don't get it, although maybe keeping these people, many of whom are very poorly educated, in fear of eternal damnation and making them regularly atone for their sins, however venial, actually works because they don't know any better and are probably afraid to ask questions anyway because they see the church as being all-powerful.

And on the subject of sin, and a mortal one at that - what about all the child abuse cases which have been uncovered over the past few years, and in which Pope Benedict himself was implicated?  Not that he himself necessarily abused children, but as Cardinal Ratzinger he was appointed to look into this abuse by his predecessor, and a lot of evidence has come to light that he knew exactly what was going on, and to what extent, yet did very little to stop it and protect these children.  Of course as Pope he apologised to the victims, but by then it was far too little, far too late.  Quite possibly shouldering this burden was another issue he felt he could no longer cope with.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 13, 2013, 09:36 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4497 on: February 13, 2013, 09:32 PM »

I apologise if I offend any Catholics who might read this, but I agree with Elly, especially about the Vatican's vast trove of riches - and yet many of the poorest countries in the world are RC.  I just don't get it, although maybe keeping these people, many of whom are very poorly educated, in fear of eternal damnation and making them regularly atone for their sins, however venial, actually works because they don't know any better and are probably afraid to ask questions anyway because they see the church as being all-powerful.

And on the subject of sin, and a mortal one at that - what about all the child abuse cases which have been uncovered over the past few years, and in which Pope Benedict himself was implicated?  Not that he himself necessarily abused children, but as Cardinal Ratzinger he was appointed to look into this abuse by his predecessor, and a lot of evidence has come to light that he knew exactly what was going on, and to what extent, yet did very little to stop it and protect these children.  Of course as Pope he apologised to the victims, but by then it was far too little, far too late.  Quite possibly shouldering this burden was another issue he felt he could no longer cope with.  
I think everyone on here knows by now that I have no time for religion, and unlike you, Aileen, I'm not about to apologise for that.  I've no time for anything that has to 'buy you in' and make you toe some line.  'Goodness' cannot be defined - it just 'is'.  It can be guided and nurtured, but it's not something that can be forced or indoctrinated in your soul.  The Catholic Church, with all it's scandals is testament to that.
[ Last edit by Elly February 13, 2013, 10:11 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4498 on: February 13, 2013, 09:36 PM »

^ I had picked up on that during my time on this forum.  Also my own beliefs on matters religious is somewhat lacking.

I'd want to know how often this happens at this time of year before reaching for my rosary.
I wasn't being too serious here, fiverings, although according to the Met people it is quite unusual, although not unheard of, to have such a violent thunderstorm in this part of Italy at this time of year.  Maybe my own religious upbringing (C of S) kicked in because, as a child, my mother used to tell me that thunderstorms were because God was angry with me.  No surprise then that for years I was terrified of them until I found out what really caused them.  Still don't like them though.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 13, 2013, 09:41 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4499 on: February 13, 2013, 09:39 PM »

Whoever the new pope is it will be someone under the age of 70. The current and previous pope spent years working to change the rules so that only cardinals under the age of 70 can be put forward for the papacy due to the rigors of the job.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 299 [300] 301 302 303 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »