Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.7%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: 1 ... 299 300 301 [302] 303 304 305 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 74822 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4515 on: February 17, 2013, 08:45 PM »

^ That is funny - but in a sad sort of way?  I think most of us believe in a 'higher self' or at least 'something' we can put our faith in.  Else, we'd be insufferable morons who think we can Lord it over everyone.  
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4516 on: February 17, 2013, 09:21 PM »

That's flippin' brill, would love to see that made!

By the way, if you haven't already seen Django Unchained then do it now. Great film.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4517 on: February 17, 2013, 10:36 PM »

So - the fact we have a younger pensioner who has never had sex, but rules a bunch of child abusers really helps? 

Well 'you' don't have anyone since you're not Catholic Smile Whoever the pope is has not impact on you or on me really at all, especially on people who don't believe in God. And to paint the impression that all Catholic priests are child abusers is a tad unfair.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4518 on: February 17, 2013, 10:45 PM »

Well 'you' don't have anyone since you're not Catholic Smile Whoever the pope is has not impact on you or on me really at all, especially on people who don't believe in God. And to paint the impression that all Catholic priests are child abusers is a tad unfair.
It impacts on mankind and the prejudices we are led to believe.  That's my point.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4519 on: February 17, 2013, 10:57 PM »

It impacts on mankind and the prejudices we are led to believe.  That's my point.

Why? The Pope has no real influence over our politicians or government. If people choose to believe what the Catholic church preaches then that's their personal choice, just as it's your personal choice not to.
And how are the 'prejudices' as you see them of the Catholic church any worse than your prejudice against them as you presume they're all bad and either child abusers or covering for them?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4520 on: February 17, 2013, 11:13 PM »

I think it's a little naive to think that religion doesn't influence Politics and vice versa. As for the Catholic Church?  There's something inherently wrong with a doctrine that tries to shut down the natural course of things.  Sexual intercourse is not wrong - it's the ultimate expression of one person's feelings for another.  It's as natural as breathing.  To keep that supressed is always going to present in ways that either make you ill, or are not useful to anyone,
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4521 on: February 17, 2013, 11:19 PM »

I think it's a little naive to think that religion doesn't influence Politics and vice versa. As for the Catholic Church?  There's something inherently wrong with a doctrine that tries to shut down the natural course of things.  Sexual intercourse is not wrong - it's the ultimate expression of one person's feelings for another.  It's as natural as breathing.  To keep that supressed is always going to present in ways that either make you ill, or are not useful to anyone,

Okay not getting into that but I'd point out that most of the mainstream religions of the world have the same view of homosexuality- not just the Christian faith, so there's nothing better or worse about the Catholic Church than other world religions.
I'm not saying religion doesn't influence politics there is a limit to that influence in our secular culture, especially within Britain- as the vote the other week proved.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4522 on: February 17, 2013, 11:21 PM »

Okay not getting into that but I'd point out that most of the mainstream religions of the world have the same view of homosexuality- not just the Christian faith, so there's nothing better or worse about the Catholic Church than other world religions.
I'm not saying religion doesn't influence politics there is a limit to that influence in our secular culture, especially within Britain- as the vote the other week proved.
It disgusts me.  Love is love - whether it be with a same sex partner or not.  If there were more love in this world - be it for whoever - it would be a better place.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4523 on: February 17, 2013, 11:24 PM »

It disgusts me.  Love is love - whether it be with a same sex partner or not.  If there were more love in this world - be it for whoever - it would be a better place.

Your view Smile anyway I'm shattered from a long and stressful day (see medical thread if you want to know) and am off to bed wave
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4524 on: February 17, 2013, 11:25 PM »

I know we'll never agree!  'Nighty night'.  x
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4525 on: February 18, 2013, 03:39 PM »

Was Germany a better place because of the love a large majority had for Adolph Hitler?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4526 on: February 18, 2013, 05:32 PM »

^ Maybe I didn't make myself clear.  I was referring to a loving relationship between two people, regardless of his or her sexual orientation. 
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4527 on: February 18, 2013, 05:36 PM »

Was Germany a better place because of the love a large majority had for Adolph Hitler?

IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4528 on: February 18, 2013, 07:06 PM »

^ Maybe I didn't make myself clear.  I was referring to a loving relationship between two people, regardless of his or her sexual orientation. 

I don't think love is necessarily good per se.     It can be quite destructive on occasions - even between parents and children.   And you did say "be it for whoever".    I think generalisations should be avoided.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4529 on: February 18, 2013, 07:37 PM »

I don't think love is necessarily good per se.     It can be quite destructive on occasions - even between parents and children.   And you did say "be it for whoever".    I think generalisations should be avoided.
I said 'be it for whoever' in as much as I meant that love is not just there to be shared by only heterosexual couples.  Love is just a word - the actual manifestation of goodness, and mutual help and support etc isn't tied up in a word.  I do get what you are saying, I really do - but it's up to each and every one of us to separate the ins and outs of what we believe to be good and bad.  I'm not going to think my son is a bad person because he loves another man.  I'm not going to think my daughter is a bad person because she loves another woman. Yes - generalisations should definitely be avoided at all costs.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 301 [302] 303 304 305 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »