Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.7%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: 1 ... 300 301 302 [303] 304 305 306 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 76277 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4530 on: February 18, 2013, 08:08 PM »

I said 'be it for whoever' in as much as I meant that love is not just there to be shared by only heterosexual couples.  Love is just a word - the actual manifestation of goodness, and mutual help and support etc isn't tied up in a word.  I do get what you are saying, I really do - but it's up to each and every one of us to separate the ins and outs of what we believe to be good and bad.  I'm not going to think my son is a bad person because he loves another man.  I'm not going to think my daughter is a bad person because she loves another woman. Yes - generalisations should definitely be avoided at all costs.

I agree with almost all of what you say.    Love is just a word and in our society mostly thought of as romantic love.   But I don't think each and every one of us is allowed to separate the ins and outs of what we believe to be good and bad.    Some are compelled to believe the received wisdom which is "in" at the moment.   Beliefs which are fashionable now were deeply unfashionable fifty years ago and who knows what will be the "in" belief in another ffifty years.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4531 on: February 18, 2013, 08:13 PM »

I agree with almost all of what you say.    Love is just a word and in our society mostly thought of as romantic love.   But I don't think each and every one of us is allowed to separate the ins and outs of what we believe to be good and bad.    Some are compelled to believe the received wisdom which is "in" at the moment.   Beliefs which are fashionable now were deeply unfashionable fifty years ago and who knows what will be the "in" belief in another ffifty years.
I guess we just have to go beyond what's fashionable and follow our own truth.  Easy to say - but hard to do.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4532 on: February 18, 2013, 08:21 PM »

The way I look at it is live and let live. I see no harm in it let's face it if you find someone you love weather same sex or traditional as long as you love each other and make a commitment to each other thats good enough for me.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4533 on: February 18, 2013, 08:27 PM »

^ Agreed.  Love - or mutual respect, or just wanting good things for yourself and another person, surely isn't defined by what what sex you want it for.  Surely it's good enough just to have the wanting in your heart.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4534 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03 PM »

^ Agreed.  Love - or mutual respect, or just wanting good things for yourself and another person, surely isn't defined by what what sex you want it for.  Surely it's good enough just to have the wanting in your heart.
  For me, love is something thats transcends self - takes you beyond your own reality to be subsumed in something other. It can relate to all manner of things - other people, younger or older, male or female. living or dead, animals or even concrete or abstract concepts like art, music and mathematics. And it may last a lifetime, or wither and die in a season.   
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4535 on: February 18, 2013, 09:19 PM »

^ For me, there's a difference between people and inanimate objects.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4536 on: February 18, 2013, 09:41 PM »

^ For me, there's a difference between people and inanimate objects.
  Me too, of course; but the sense of otherness that comes with great works of art is wired into the brain in the same way. It's probably no coincidence either that many of them are inspired by human love, though. Dante's Paradise and Wagners' Tristan und Isolde and Die Walkure would be two good examples.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4537 on: February 18, 2013, 09:44 PM »

Me too, of course; but the sense of otherness that comes with great works of art is wired into the brain in the same way. It's probably no coincidence either that many of them are inspired by human love, though. Dante's Paradise and Wagners' Tristan und Isolde and Die Walkure would be two good examples.
It's nice to show 'love' in that way - but all the better to share it with your fellow man, I feel. 
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4538 on: February 18, 2013, 10:26 PM »

In Wagner's case a lot of hate existed alongside the love which inspired Tristan and Die Walkure.   I think love can often be totally selfish and our idea of romantic love distorts and simplifies the whole matter,
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4539 on: February 19, 2013, 04:51 AM »

"The 7 Spiritual Laws of Love" by Deepak Chopra -

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-7-spiritual-laws-of-love.html
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4540 on: February 22, 2013, 07:24 PM »

^ He's a fascinating man.  Read a lot of his stuff.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4541 on: February 22, 2013, 07:30 PM »

In Wagner's case a lot of hate existed alongside the love which inspired Tristan and Die Walkure.   I think love can often be totally selfish and our idea of romantic love distorts and simplifies the whole matter,
Words are arbitrary - People are selfish...
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4542 on: February 22, 2013, 07:38 PM »

"The 7 Spiritual Laws of Love" by Deepak Chopra -

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-7-spiritual-laws-of-love.html
8th stage.....stating the obvious.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4543 on: February 28, 2013, 12:10 AM »

Here's another few logs for the fire - just been rereading Fuzzy Thinking by Kosko, and this little gem jumped out at me. 

God is...a social reflex  ( Pavlov)
             a nature-inspired awe  ( Spinoza)
             the opiate of the masses  ( Marx)
             a Father figure  ( Freud)
            a genetic response to authority ( sociobiology)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4544 on: February 28, 2013, 01:24 AM »

8th stage.....stating the obvious.
Total enlightenment?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 302 [303] 304 305 306 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »