Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.7%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: 1 ... 314 315 316 [317] 318 319 320 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 74786 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4740 on: March 20, 2013, 03:57 PM »

There's a conspiracy about the conspiracies in the book.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4741 on: March 20, 2013, 04:46 PM »

Many religions have female forms. In Buddhism Kwan Yin is the female form of Amida who is also known as Tara in Tibetan Buddhism. In wicca many females are venerated and in the Celtic religions females are represented as well. So women are well represented in many different religions but as usual males have always  pushed them to the back.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4742 on: March 20, 2013, 04:49 PM »

For a 78 year old he looks quite fit and healthy.

IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4743 on: March 20, 2013, 05:15 PM »

The picture was probably taken 20 years ago.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4744 on: March 20, 2013, 05:34 PM »

Who cares how old he is or looks.  Is he going to address the issues that are prevalent within his own Church?  Is he going to do something to stop all the abuse and actually do something that might help others? 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4745 on: March 20, 2013, 05:39 PM »

Oh!  no wonder. lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4746 on: March 20, 2013, 06:42 PM »

Apparently it was taken four years ago when he was granted membership of the club.  Also it's being reported that his main health 'concern' is that he only has one lung, the other having been removed as a result of infection when he was in his teens.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4747 on: March 21, 2013, 05:36 PM »

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4748 on: March 25, 2013, 02:01 PM »

What they're teaching our kids today... a letter sent home to parents this month from Catholic School Board.

My personal favourites  Rolling Eyes :-

"Have I been disobedient or disrespectful to my husband?"
“Have I denied my spouse his or her marriage rights?”
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2013/03/09/catholic_parents_disgusted_by_letter_sent_from_parish_priest_containing_provocative_questions.html

This is the same school board who denied a gay student he could bring his boyfriend to his prom.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2002/04/09/hall_prom020409.html

Consequently, a (very poor) movie was made:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410953/
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4749 on: March 25, 2013, 02:06 PM »

^ There truly are no words.  no
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4750 on: March 25, 2013, 02:26 PM »

My son was recently Best Man at the wedding of one his best friends.  It was a Civil Ceremony between two men.  My daughter's Prom date was one of her best friends who also happens to be a lovely guy who is also gay.  By her own admission, she 'loves him to bits' and is still in touch with him 6 years later on.

I'm not trying to promote my good parenting here - God knows I made mistakes the same as anyone.  However, I'm so glad my kids were never exposed to a specific 'religion' that shaped their views and encouraged prejudice of any kind.  They've made their own minds up about who and what is good and bad, and I think that's the best favour myself and their father could have done for them.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4751 on: March 25, 2013, 04:36 PM »

My strong feeling is that the Catholic church should put its own house in order instead of trying to terrify its members into submitting to its beliefs by telling them what they should and shoudn't do and that they are "sinners" who will  suffer eternal damnation if they don't repent and do penances on a regular basis.  It's high time anyway that it moved itself into the 21st century and got in touch with reality when it comes to abortion, birth control, celibacy and homosexuality - although the latter unfortunately also applies to Christian churches in general, although enlightenment is at least starting to dawn on some quarters of the Protestant church. 
[ Last edit by Aileen March 25, 2013, 04:45 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4752 on: March 25, 2013, 04:37 PM »

My strong feeling is that the Catholic church should put its own house in order instead of trying to terrify its members into submitting to its beliefs by telling them that they are "sinners" and will therefore suffer eternal damnation if they don't repent and do penances on a regular basis.

Guilt is a very powerful emotion.  As far as I can see this is what the Catholic Church is based on.  It's disgusting to make people feel this emotion when they have done nothing wrong, than perhaps love someone not suitable - or just the wanting to be free of ties, and not intending to do anything inherently wrong.  I truly don't understand why a person should be so confined.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4753 on: March 27, 2013, 11:22 AM »

I am not really religious, although brought up in a Christian household and went to church every Sunday I did not feel at home being a Christian. I became interested in Buddhism in my twenties, It appealed to me as it is not a religion but more of way of life. Siddhartha came from a prosperous family in fact he was a prince he was sheltered from daily life and knew nothing about death and sickness. Through time he learned about sickness and death and that money did not mean anything but more that he was at peace with himself and did not crave worldly possessions. He always taught his followers not just to accept what he said but to question him and find the truth for themselves. Like Christianity, Buddhism has many different branches and different traditions.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4754 on: April 03, 2013, 11:36 PM »

I just found this gem... one of the few interviews with Dawkins where he is kept on his toes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 316 [317] 318 319 320 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »