Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.7%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: 1 ... 319 320 321 [322] 323 324 325 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 77557 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4815 on: June 01, 2013, 12:48 PM »

^ Thank you, Mark. Smile
Are you 100% sure God doesnt exist?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4816 on: June 01, 2013, 01:06 PM »

shocking No Santa! fainting
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4817 on: June 01, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Are you 100% sure God doesnt exist?
No but only in the same way I'm not 100% sure leprechauns don't exist. Atheism doesn't involve certainty. You were born an atheist until your parents no doubt lovingly forced a supernatural view on you.

If someone on the street walked up to you and said they were God, your default position is you don't believe them because there's no evidence. That is an atheistic response even though you can't be completely certain that person isn't actually the second coming of Jesus.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4818 on: June 01, 2013, 01:10 PM »

No but only in the same way I'm not 100% sure leprechauns don't exist. Atheism doesn't involve certainty. You were born an atheist until your parents no doubt lovingly forced a supernatural view on you.

If someone on the street walked up to you and said they were God, your default position is you don't believe them because there's no evidence. That is an atheistic response even though you can't be completely certain that person isn't actually the second coming of Jesus.

Ah, I understand what you are saying.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4819 on: June 01, 2013, 01:16 PM »

You were born an atheist until your parents no doubt lovingly forced a supernatural view on you.

Why do parents do that? Can't they leave us alone to make our own choice and not influence us.  no They sometimes send us to religious schools to get more influenced.  If its a really good thing to be a part of, we won't need much persuasion.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4820 on: June 01, 2013, 01:17 PM »

Why do parents do that?
Hell?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4821 on: June 01, 2013, 01:20 PM »

My parents didnt force me into following Islam. I can change my mind whenever I wish. Yes, it has been passed down in the family but I think in my case, we have the decision to choose which religion we wish to follow or to become an atheist.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4822 on: June 01, 2013, 01:23 PM »

I remember a work colleague of my husband's telling him that our kids will go to hell because we haven't christened them wtf
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4823 on: June 01, 2013, 01:24 PM »

My parents didnt force me into following Islam. I can change my mind whenever I wish. Yes, it has been passed down in the family but I think in my case, we have the decision to choose which religion we wish to follow or to become an atheist.
That's really good and I'd guess much less common in Islam, so refreshing to hear.

I remember a work colleague of my husband's telling him that our kids will go to hell because we haven't christened them wtf
Insane Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4824 on: June 01, 2013, 01:26 PM »

So what age were you when you began following Islam, taking part in everything?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4825 on: June 01, 2013, 01:27 PM »

That's really good and I'd guess much less common in Islam, so refreshing to hear.

I dont think it is less common in Islam. People remember muslims for all the bad stuff that happens.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4826 on: June 01, 2013, 01:32 PM »

So what age were you when you began following Islam, taking part in everything?

I'm 15. I never was and never will be an extremely religious person. I think all religions are flawed and dont think atheism is the right thing too. I never 'started' believing in Islam, it was just taught all along my life but I have my own doubts. I believe some God exists and obviously dont know which one so I would like to follow Islam only since there are many things which I learnt that I truly believe in.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4827 on: June 01, 2013, 01:34 PM »

People sometimes tar other people with the same brush. Its not just in religion no
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4828 on: June 01, 2013, 01:39 PM »

I'm 15. I never was and never will be an extremely religious person. I think all religions are flawed and dont think atheism is the right thing too. I never 'started' believing in Islam, it was just taught all along my life but I have my own doubts. I believe some God exists and obviously dont know which one so I would like to follow Islam only since there are many things which I learnt that I truly believe in.

Think So you have always been encouraged to partake in everything? Are you taught about other religions at school?  We never were but was a different era.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4829 on: June 01, 2013, 01:44 PM »

Think So you have always been encouraged to partake in everything? Are you taught about other religions at school?  We never were but was a different era.

Partake in what?
When I was studying in Dubai, we had a class every week for "Islamic Studies" for the muslims and "Moral Studies" for the rest. But, that was only till Standard 8 (I have no idea why). Right now, we have no such classes in school and I dont go for any extra ones too.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 321 [322] 323 324 325 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »