Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.1%)
No (atheist) - 31 (40.8%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: 1 ... 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 78191 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4830 on: June 01, 2013, 01:52 PM »

Like daily prayers? Diet? Fasting?

I eat things because I want to not because I'm allowed to. That kind of thing.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4831 on: June 01, 2013, 01:56 PM »

Like daily prayers? Diet? Fasting?

I eat things because I want to not because I'm allowed to. That kind of thing.

I pray when I want to. Not daily, but quite often. I fast during Ramzan. I read the Quran when I wish to.
My parents never force me into following all this. It is just out of personal interest.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4832 on: June 01, 2013, 01:59 PM »

Thanks Very Happy
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4833 on: June 01, 2013, 01:59 PM »

No but only in the same way I'm not 100% sure leprechauns don't exist. Atheism doesn't involve certainty. You were born an atheist until your parents no doubt lovingly forced a supernatural view on you.

If someone on the street walked up to you and said they were God, your default position is you don't believe them because there's no evidence. That is an atheistic response even though you can't be completely certain that person isn't actually the second coming of Jesus.
Mark.......I'd love to know why you think there could be leprechauns!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4834 on: June 01, 2013, 02:00 PM »

Thanks Very Happy

Hey, no probs. Smile
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4835 on: June 01, 2013, 02:01 PM »

I dont think it is less common in Islam. People remember muslims for all the bad stuff that happens.
I think it is less common based on the fact it is taught in Islam to kill those who turn away from the faith.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4836 on: June 01, 2013, 02:04 PM »

I think it is less common based on the fact it is taught in Islam to kill those who turn away from the faith.

I dont think that's what we are taught. It depends on how you interpret the stuff written in the Quran. I believe in "Live, and let live." And there are many muslims who are following the same thing, too.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4837 on: June 01, 2013, 02:04 PM »

Hey, no probs. Smile

Remember, you have a friend on the dark side lol
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4838 on: June 01, 2013, 02:05 PM »

If you are not taught to kill those who turn away, then your teachers are cherry picking. But then that happens with other religions as well so they can survive alongside secular morality.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4839 on: June 01, 2013, 02:06 PM »

Remember, you have a friend on the dark side lol

lol
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4840 on: June 01, 2013, 02:08 PM »

If you are not taught to kill those who turn away, then your teachers are cherry picking. But then that happens with other religions as well so they can survive alongside secular morality.

I'm sorry I didnt quite get you there.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4841 on: June 01, 2013, 02:12 PM »

I'm sorry I didnt quite get you there.

Islam teaches that apostates are to be killed. If that is not taught to you then your teachers are cherry picking which parts of the Quran should be believed. That is done heavily in Christianity as well. That is what has to happen for these religions to survive in a society where morality is evolving in spite of the immoral and outdated principles in the holy books.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4842 on: June 01, 2013, 02:23 PM »

Islam teaches that apostates are to be killed. If that is not taught to you then your teachers are cherry picking which parts of the Quran should be believed. That is done heavily in Christianity as well. That is what has to happen for these religions to survive in a society where morality is evolving in spite of the immoral and outdated principles in the holy books.

So what if my teachers cherry pick? It finally depends on you to believe what you want to.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4843 on: June 01, 2013, 02:23 PM »

I'll answer those questions as well, in the way that Mark did.

1. Why don't you believe in God?

Because I see no reason why God would exist.

2/5. What stopped you from believing in God and when did you turn atheist?

I have never believed in God so I always atheist. You will find that a high, high majority of the time people only believe in a particular God because their parents have brought them up with the same religious values that they have. Religiously orientated parents often teach their children about their religion at a young age, and young kids are very susceptible to believing whatever their parents tell them is the truth. I think if all parents only taught their children about their religion when they reached the age of say 12 so they are old enough to understand things a little better, you would find that religious beliefs would decline rather rapidly over just a few generations.

In may case my mother is a Christian but she never taught me about religion so naturally I never picked it up. I went to a Church of England school as well, and we had readings from the Bible occasional but to me I didn't even realize people were supposed to 'believe' these things they just sounded like stories, which of course is actually just what they are.

3. If you don't believe in God, what do you believe in?

I believe in logic if you can say that's a belief. I think there is a logical reason for everything that happens, and the entire universe we find ourselves in exists purely due to logical laws.

4. How do you think humanity began?

Humanity has arisen due to the process of natural selection.

6. Are you 100% sure God doesnt exist?

I'm not 100% sure of anything but I'm as sure that God doesn't exist as I am sure of anything else.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4844 on: June 01, 2013, 02:31 PM »

^So Laundry, as an atheist, do you feel every question of yours is answered or like me, do you have some doubts in your belief?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »