Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (47.3%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40.5%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 9 (12.2%)
Total Voters: 73

Pages: 1 ... 326 327 328 [329] 330 331 332 333 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Religious Discussions  (Read 70257 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4920 on: June 01, 2013, 11:19 PM »

You're right Gangsta.....Good people do bad things sometimes, but that doesn't make them bad people, but 'evil' is a totally different thing. Good people don't do evil things. Evil people do evil things and sometimes use their God as an excuse.

That's not true.

The 9/1 hijackers were not evil people. They were not motivated by evil. They genuinely thought they were doing something good.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4921 on: June 01, 2013, 11:27 PM »

If it's any comfort to you I can assure you that you don't need to be either.
It is of none at all but thank you anyway. You see my brain tells me there is no hell but something else makes me fear it. I guess it's a mental illness of sorts.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4922 on: June 01, 2013, 11:28 PM »

No Mark.    I'm joining Laundry - therefore it is not a lack of imagination - it is confidence in my conviction.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4923 on: June 01, 2013, 11:29 PM »

No Mark.    I'm joining Laundry - therefore it is not a lack of imagination - it is confidence in my conviction.

I thought your comment was in reference to when you believed hell to be true as a child? And thus I felt your lack of fear was down to lack of imagination.

Where as Laundry's opinion was from the perspective of an atheist.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4924 on: June 01, 2013, 11:32 PM »

I thought your comment was in reference to when you believed hell to be true as a child? And thus I felt your lack of fear was down to lack of imagination.

Where as Laundry's opinion was from the perspective of an atheist.

Atheists can lack imagination.    Probably do - which may be why they cannot imagine a God.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4925 on: June 01, 2013, 11:33 PM »

Atheists can lack imagination.    Probably do - which may be why they cannot imagine a God.
I think we're talking about two different things now due to miscommunication, never mind Smile
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4926 on: June 01, 2013, 11:34 PM »

Although thinking about that before a more interesting hypothetical situation would be if this man could prevent everybody from going to hell, I mean that would be a nice thing to do for humanity - to stop everybody from eternal unimaginable torture. Every single person's soul, including my entire family's, everybody's here and well everyone would be entirely in my hands and I would only have to relinquish 1 pence to avoid it from happening. Would I have enough conviction in myself to put the entire world's fate in the balance.

#As a side-note thinking about this right now in this way, it's rather boggling how anybody could think a God that would allow this hell thing to exist could be consider 'good' in the slightest.

But back onto the question. No. I can honestly answer, no. I still wouldn't subscribe to the offer. I would never un-needingly risk somebody's health or happiness in my own hands in real life, I mean I'm the kind of person that won't even allow myself to ever drive a car just in case I accidentally ran somebody over. But I just consider there to be absolutely 0 chance involved so I don't consider it to be any risk what so ever.

That's how much faith I have in logic. And religious people say they are the only ones with 'faith'.

----
So are you annoyed with me now Mark for making that decision and risking condemning you to hell for eternity for the sake of 1 pence : p?
[ Last edit by laundry June 01, 2013, 11:44 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4927 on: June 01, 2013, 11:39 PM »

Or maybe we base our beliefs on evidence.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4928 on: June 01, 2013, 11:44 PM »

That's not true.

The 9/1 hijackers were not evil people. They were not motivated by evil. They genuinely thought they were doing something good.
I agree with Caz.  If these hijackers had been genuinely good people their minds could never have been twisted by religion.  They took the worst aspects of the Koran, in the same way as the Crusaders took the worst aspects of the Bible, and used it to support their evil deeds whilst comforting themselves with the thought that they were carrying them out in the name of their 'god', so the seeds of evil must have been there in the first place.  I think it's long been accepted that some people are born evil, otherwise how do you explain psychopaths, for example?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4929 on: June 01, 2013, 11:46 PM »

I agree with Caz.  If these hijackers had been genuinely good people their minds could never have been twisted by religion.  They took the worst aspects of the Koran, in the same way as the Crusaders took the worst aspects of the Bible, and used it to support their evil deeds whilst comforting themselves with the thought that they were carrying them out in the name of their 'god', so the seeds of evil must have been there in the first place.  I think it's long been accepted that some people are born evil, otherwise how do you explain psychopaths, for example?
Have you heard of the Milgram experiment? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

You might want to honestly question how good a person you would be under the regime of enforced authority. Especially if you have been completely indoctrinated and it's all you have ever known since a young age.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4930 on: June 01, 2013, 11:46 PM »

And religious people say they are the only ones with 'faith'.

No they don't.    Why can't you just believe what you believe and leave religious people to do the same?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4931 on: June 01, 2013, 11:48 PM »

No they don't.    Why can't you just believe what you believe and leave religious people to do the same?
You can. I never said you can't.

All I've been doing is playing around with hypothetical situations in my head and I was trying to help Mark overcome his irrational fear of hell which makes him touch himself every morning he wakes up to make sure he's not on fire.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4932 on: June 01, 2013, 11:50 PM »

Or maybe we base our beliefs on evidence.

Yes, you probably do.   I didn't suggest otherwise.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4933 on: June 01, 2013, 11:52 PM »

You see my brain tells me there is no hell but something else makes me fear it. I guess it's a mental illness of sorts.
Sounds more like a form of anxiety to me.  Maybe something you were told as a child, although you don't remember it, could be behind it.

On the other hand I had hell drummed into me by my mother, along with the fact that God was an angry god and so somebody to be feared rather than loved, yet I don't, and never did, believe that hell actually exists.  
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4934 on: June 01, 2013, 11:52 PM »

You can. I never said you can't.

All I've been doing is playing around with hypothetical situations in my head and I was trying to help Mark overcome his irrational fear of hell.

You have just assumed that I am religious.   Where is your evidence for that?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 328 [329] 330 331 332 333 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »