Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Religious Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God?
Yes, there is a God - 35 (46.7%)
No (atheist) - 30 (40%)
Unsure (agnostic) - 10 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 74

Pages: 1 ... 329 330 331 [332] 333 334 335 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

Religious Discussions

(Read 74510 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4965 on: June 02, 2013, 12:58 AM »

Religious institutions, schools and your parents are authority. People are naturally inclined to follow and believe what these authority figures tell them and when ideas are introduced to a younger mind it will be ingrained into them. This is why it's perfectly naturally for people to grow up to become suicide bombers when they have always been told by religious authority that it is what they should do.
Maybe their parents were atheists who taught their children properly to always question everything and never blindly follow authority, even their own?

Could have been.   On the other hand could have been me, taught by my very Christian mother and father always to treat other people as I would wish to be treated.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4966 on: June 02, 2013, 01:03 AM »

Religious institutions, schools and your parents are authority. People are naturally inclined to follow and believe what these authority figures tell them and when ideas are introduced to a younger mind it will be ingrained into them. This is why it's perfectly naturally for people to grow up to become suicide bombers when they have always been told by religious authority that it is what they should do.
Maybe their parents were atheists who taught their children properly to always question everything and never blindly follow authority, even their own?

Considering the number of Muslims in the world we are in real trouble if it is perfectly natural for them to grow up to be suicide bombers as instructed by the "religious authority"
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4967 on: June 02, 2013, 01:11 AM »

Could have been.   On the other hand could have been me, taught by my very Christian mother and father always to treat other people as I would wish to be treated.
I'm sure if the person with the atheist parents was the kind of person that would have said no to the Milgram experiment they would have already managed to work that one out in their life. Although no doubt a lot of the people that went through with that experiment will themselves have been taught 'to treat other people as they would wish to be treated' but pressed the buzzer anyway.

Considering the number of Muslims in the world we are in real trouble if it is perfectly natural for them to grow up to be suicide bombers as instructed by the "religious authority"
It's fortunately that not every Islamic group trains their children to grow up to be suicide bombers, otherwise yes we would be in real trouble because the ones that do are rather successful at installing their doctrines into their young.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4968 on: June 02, 2013, 01:26 AM »

I'm sure if the person with the atheist parents was the kind of person that would have said no to the Milgram experiment they would have already managed to work that one out in their life. Although no doubt a lot of the people that went through with that experiment will themselves have been taught 'to treat other people as they would wish to be treated' but pressed the buzzer anyway.
 It's fortunately that not every Islamic group trains their children to grow up to be suicide bombers, otherwise yes we would be in real trouble because the ones that do are rather successful at installing their doctrines into their young.
Are you saying a person with atheist parents would work out for themselves the "do as you would be done by" route and not be taught that by their parents?    I can't quite unravel your sentence.  It seems I was an unfortunate child, born into a Christian family, and had to be taught that or possibly indoctrinated.   I will state categorically that none of us, religious or atheist, can say with certainty "I would have walked out"   We can only hope.    And it's good night from me but possibly not goodnight from him.   I'm off to say my prayers!!!
[ Last edit by Iluvandy June 02, 2013, 01:29 AM ] IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4969 on: June 02, 2013, 01:31 AM »

Are you saying a person with atheist parents would work out for themselves the "do as you would be done by" route and not be taught that by their parents?    I can't quite unravel your sentence.  It seems I was an unfortunate child, born into a Christian family, and had to be taught that or possibly indoctrinated.   I will state categorically that none of us, religious or atheist, can say with certainty "I would have walked out"   We can only hope.    And it's good night from me but possibly not goodnight from him.   I'm off to say my prayers!!!
No, I'm saying that the kind of person that would have said no to the Milgram experiment will have undoubtedly had that moral view point. And also that not everybody that was taught or followed that morality would say no.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4970 on: June 02, 2013, 01:33 AM »

As far as I remember, and it was a long time ago Aileen, it was in the US, just people picked at random from the street and asked to take part in the experiment which meant, they were told, administering electric shocks to a person in the next room who, unknown to them, was an actor.   There was a "scientist" overseeing the proceedings and he told them they must carry on with the shock treatment, even increase it, while the actor screamed in agony.    It was pretty horrible and I remember being very disappointed at how few refused.    Would I?    Who knows? 
I think I might have declined to take part in the first place - but again, although I would certainly refuse now, would I have done so when I was younger?  Possibly most of them had no idea how much distress electric shocks, even minor ones, can cause - and having once suffered a minor one through my own stupidity I know how unpleasant that was.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4971 on: June 02, 2013, 06:55 AM »

Not quite.    But in certain circumstances a large proportion of people will go along with what in their hearts they know is wrong.    Most of the people taking part in that experiment, and it was only a handful so it is difficult to reach a conclusion, protested, but were told by "authority"to keep doing what they didn't want to do.     Why did a few defy authority?    Were they the incorruptibles?    It's really nothing to do with religion but I found it a bit disturbing.

The experiment has been conducted many times by different people, and usually with almost identical results to the original experiment.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4972 on: June 02, 2013, 10:51 AM »

I think I might have declined to take part in the first place - but again, although I would certainly refuse now, would I have done so when I was younger?  Possibly most of them had no idea how much distress electric shocks, even minor ones, can cause - and having once suffered a minor one through my own stupidity I know how unpleasant that was.

I hoped that I would have agreed to take part but when I learned exactly what was required, would have walked out, having given the white coat a puece of my mind.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4973 on: June 05, 2013, 04:40 PM »

He's arrogant, I don't like him but a nice quote.

IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4974 on: June 05, 2013, 07:43 PM »

He's arrogant, I don't like him but a nice quote.

God has defeated the devil, he just didn't destroy him Wink

Hebrews 2:14-15
New Life Version (NLV)
14 It is true that we share the same Father with Jesus. And it is true that we share the same kind of flesh and blood because Jesus became a man like us. He died as we must die. Through His death He destroyed the power of the devil who has the power of death.
15 Jesus did this to make us free from the fear of death. We no longer need to be chained to this fear.

War in Heaven

7 Then there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against this dragon. This animal and his angels fought back. 8 But the dragon was not strong enough to win. There was no more room in heaven for them. 9 The dragon was thrown down to earth from heaven. This animal is the old snake. He is also called the Devil or Satan. He is the one who has fooled the whole world. He was thrown down to earth and his angels were thrown down with him.

10 Then I heard a loud voice in heaven saying, “Now God has saved from the punishment of sin! God’s power as King has come! God’s holy nation has come! God’s Christ is here with power! The one who spoke against our Christian brothers has been thrown down to earth. He stood before God speaking against them day and night. 11 They had power over him and won because of the blood of the Lamb and by telling what He had done for them. They did not love their lives but were willing to die. 12 For this reason, O heavens and you who are there, be full of joy.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4975 on: June 05, 2013, 07:55 PM »

God has defeated the devil, he just didn't destroy him Wink

Same thing in the context of the quote.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4976 on: July 03, 2013, 02:27 PM »

Because once he woke up, that's was the only thing he remembered. He couldn't recognize anyone (his family or relatives) for a few hours/days etc. He also couldn't remember anything from his life before the coma. It's so clear to me that you didn't even bother to listen to what he had to say about his own experience. lol

Just read a lengthy expose on Eben Alexander. Suffice to say, the man is a fraud.

You have to pay $1.99 to access the article, but it was worth it to see Alexander's claims and his background be torn to pieces.

http://www.esquire.com/features/the-prophet?click=pp
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4977 on: July 23, 2013, 12:03 PM »

This is a very entertaining article about the books that were left out of the Bible.

If you take one thing away from this, let it be that Jesus Christ wasn't born the Gandhi-like paragon of peace you know him as. He's more like a reformed con: sick of the game because he lived it too hard for too long.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18948_5-real-deleted-bible-scenes-in-which-jesus-kicks-some-ass.html
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4978 on: July 23, 2013, 05:05 PM »

Poe's Law strikes again XD
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Religious Discussions « Reply #4979 on: July 24, 2013, 12:58 PM »

Religion to Disappear By 2041 Claims New Study

A bit optimistic surely but here we are: http://guardianlv.com/2013/07/religion-to-disappear-by-2041-claims-new-study/
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 331 [332] 333 334 335 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »