Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Should same-sex couples be parents? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Should same-sex couples be parents?

(Read 2713 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 06:33 PM »

Yes, but some people don't even have a grasp of the basics never mind the more exotic stuff like "the right quality of care and love during the formative years that give a child all they need to become a well-adjusted adult who cares for others and has the right strengths to cope with the problems they will come across in their journey through life. " (as Jan says) ...

I can think of some areas where some form of contraception in the drinking water would be a fine idea. Most of the council estates in northern England, for starters.

You really should have to pass exhaustive written and practical tests before you're allowed to have kids. After all, look at the hoops you have to jump through to adopt.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 06:38 PM »

some form of contraception in the drinking water

No, scrap that. Some form of contraception in the Special Brew.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 06:41 PM »

lol  Nigel for Minister of Health ...
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 06:45 PM »

So you're suggesting that everyone go through a screening process if they want to get pregnant? Or better yet, you must get an abortion if you can't pass said test but get pregnant accidentally? Maybe you should pass "exhaustive written and practical tests" before you can have sex?

While I don't agree that potiental adoptive parents should have to jump through hoops to adopt, I also think that it's a bit different when it comes to adopting than raising your own. Unless it's a newborn, that kid can have baggage from living in a foster home or coming in from a different country, etc and I'd rather not see kids getting pushed around because adoptive parents didn't like the kid or didn't feel they were ready to deal with it.

But that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand, as it seems it's gone from, should we let gay people be parents to should we let anyone be parents?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 06:45 PM »

Seriously, why should it be so hard to adopt and so easy to push them out with no greater motive than claiming every benefit under the sun?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 06:48 PM »

I moved tangentially away from the topic as gay people adopting is so ludicrous an idea as to be not worthy of comment. And I have nothing against gay people. My brother is gay.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 09:18 PM »

A little more on the Elton John fatherhood story ...

He was born to an unidentified surrogate mother who, it emerged last night, was not his biological mother but had carried the baby after being implanted with a donor egg from another mystery woman.
The complicated arrangement carried out by the Encino, California-based Center For Surrogate Parenting Inc - a favourite with Hollywood stars - means that little Zachary effectively has two fathers and two mothers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1342482/Elton-John-baby-Zachary-details-California-surrogacy-clinic-revealed.html#ixzz19XPLNdLJ

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 07:03 AM »

Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 07:06 AM »

And even MORE info ... apparently he is taking the child to his mansion in the UK, but, has yet to adopt the child who therefore has to be accompanied by his surrogate mother in order to travel out of the US.  Elton has also been stated as being the father.

Endlessly fascinating stuff ...  lol  
[ Last edit by Daisy December 30, 2010, 07:13 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 08:50 AM »

It's a minefield of legal and moral complications!

My question is - how would they have reacted if the child had been a girl?  Would they have accepted that, although how would they have coped with bringing her up?  Might she simply have been given up for adoption, or more unpleasantly, would the surrogate mother have had an abortion once the child's sex could be identified.  Or were they able to plan a "designer baby"?

I moved tangentially away from the topic as gay people adopting is so ludicrous an idea as to be not worthy of comment.
I agree that I can't see too many homosexuals wanting to become fathers, but one dilemma lesbians face is that they can still have the natural desire to become mothers, so it's apparently not unusual for one of the couple to become pregnant by artificial insemination, although I imagine at considerable financial cost. 
[ Last edit by Aileen December 30, 2010, 09:00 AM ] IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 09:38 AM »

I've also read that they "bought" this child at a cost of £100,000 which is just pocket change to Elton John ...
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 02:38 PM »

I'm confused. What difference does it make? Say Angelina Jolie is unable to stay pregnant. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, a heterosexual couple, want to use a surrogate mother. You're telling me if Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were looking specifically to have a boy also, would you be questioning how they would react if they were to have a girl?

Seriously, gay guys are humans too. I doubt Elton John and his partner would throw away a kid because of its sex, even if they preferred a boy.

Also, Aileen, I think you're wrong when you say that gay men probably don't want to have a family. I can't lie to you, I think there are more gay men in my generation who won't want to adopt for a while, but every gay guy I've talked to has discussed having a family. It's just extremely hard to be gay and have kids because of all the current restrictions on adoption. See:

http://www.beaufortobserver.net/Articles-c-2010-12-21-249547.112112-Samesex-couple-adoption-ruled-invalid-in-North-Carolina.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 09:54 AM »

I'm confused. What difference does it make? Say Angelina Jolie is unable to stay pregnant. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, a heterosexual couple, want to use a surrogate mother. You're telling me if Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were looking specifically to have a boy also, would you be questioning how they would react if they were to have a girl?

Seriously, gay guys are humans too. I doubt Elton John and his partner would throw away a kid because of its sex, even if they preferred a boy.

Also, Aileen, I think you're wrong when you say that gay men probably don't want to have a family. I can't lie to you, I think there are more gay men in my generation who won't want to adopt for a while, but every gay guy I've talked to has discussed having a family. It's just extremely hard to be gay and have kids because of all the current restrictions on adoption. See:

http://www.beaufortobserver.net/Articles-c-2010-12-21-249547.112112-Samesex-couple-adoption-ruled-invalid-in-North-Carolina.html
Thanks for the informative article.  Have to say that, for a woman, you seem to have met an amazing number of gay males who have been willing to confide in you.

I was basing my comments on my own generation, and therefore out of ignorance, for which I apologise.  When I was your age gay people weren't socially acceptable and so most of them went to considerable lengths to cover it up, like getting married.

I'm not homophobic though, although some of the more obviously gay males give me the shivers, so clearly some of that old prejudice still remains.  Also, probably for the very reason stated above, I've known extremely few gay/bisexual  men or women, and those not well enough to touch on such personal matters.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 10:16 AM »

Have to say that, for a woman, you seem to have met an amazing number of gay males who have been willing to confide in you.

Nope, Aileen, I think James is definitely a bloke. Even if he is heavily disguised.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 10:40 AM »

I was having my suspicions ... Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »