Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Should same-sex couples be parents? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Should same-sex couples be parents?

(Read 2490 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 09:36 AM »

See that the Beckhams are expecting a fourth child in the summer.  Wonder what unfortunate name this one'll be saddled with. 

Just noticed this pic of Elizabeth Hurley, who is tipped to be another of Zachary's godmothers.  She certainly doesn't leave much to the imagination!

I don't know about names (some unfortunate landmark) but what's the odds of Wills and Kate being godparents lol Who can get the most rich and famous?  I'm sorry but it's all tripe anyhow. shutup  Sorry, ranting again sorry
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 01:04 PM »

This topic is getting boring, surely its been done to death. search me
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #47 on: January 11, 2011, 01:07 PM »

Don't read the new posts, then? Smile search me
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #48 on: January 11, 2011, 05:18 PM »

Then dont read it....

Don't read the new posts, then? Smile search me

seriously hahaha

I don't think this should even be a topic that needs to be debated but still....
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 02:14 AM »

I really don't understand why you think this is going to be a problem?
It could certainly be a problem if the person in question is either homophobic or finds same-sex marriages unacceptable (and, yes, I do know a gay man who does not approve of them).

The word "parents" assumes a father and mother, i.e. a man and a woman living together either as a married couple or in a partnership, so explaining that your mother is actually a man, or alternatively that your father is a woman, would take a bit of digesting even by the most open-minded of people.  Perhaps it would simplify matters if same-sex couples who had children were known as "guardians".

Fine.  That's your opinion.  When I find things on MW boring I ignore them, so suggest you do the same.Smile

I don't think this should even be a topic that needs to be debated but still....
Sorry, but I think it does need to be debated because of the moral, social and legal implications involved.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 12, 2011, 04:17 AM ] IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 09:31 AM »

I think you're projecting your own views onto everyone here - what difference does it make if they're called parents or guardians? (I realise I'm probably also projecting my own liberalism). It's just semantics. You're clearly massively uncomfortable with the whole concept, I doubt that words would really make a difference to you. And let's be honest - how likely is it that the son or daughter of gay parents will be in a long term relationship with someone who's so homophobic that they'll have problems meeting their parents.

Also, I'm not sure what you think is going to happen? Surely it's just the same pressures as meeting the parents at any other time. Lots of people don't get on with their parents in law - it's not like this creates a unique and terrifying problem....
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #51 on: January 12, 2011, 02:39 PM »

Again I accept what you say, and I freely admit that I am uncomfortable with the whole concept.  I think that, as far as you and I are concerned it's a generation thing, as most people of 50+ as I am were brought up in a much less liberal society.

So can we agree to disagree? Smile
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #52 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18 PM »

Certainly!! Smile I don't want to argue and I agree that it's most likely a generational thing Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #53 on: January 12, 2011, 09:25 PM »

Thank you. Smile  Whether I agree with them or not, it's been interesting to read all the opinions expressed on this topic.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #54 on: February 13, 2011, 09:07 PM »

I thought they already did this

A gay couple will be able to refer to one of the partners as a 'husband', and a lesbian couple will be able to refer to one of the partners as a 'wife'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356490/Gay-lesbian-couples-right-marry-church.html#ixzz1DsKVUgLE
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #55 on: February 13, 2011, 09:08 PM »

The proud mothers: Sex And The City's Cynthia Nixon shows off new baby with her lesbian partner

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1356422/Cynthia-Nixon-shows-new-baby-lesbian-partner-Christine-Marinoni.html#ixzz1DsKz5y9M
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #56 on: February 13, 2011, 09:31 PM »

A gay couple will be able to refer to one of the partners as a 'husband', and a lesbian couple will be able to refer to one of the partners as a 'wife'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356490/Gay-lesbian-couples-right-marry-church.html#ixzz1DsKVUgLE
If civil marriages are acceptable in today's society, then I suppose this is the next logical step.  However, these couples are going to find so very few faiths who will allow their places of worship to be used for this purpose that the idea's virtually dead in the water.

The proud mothers: Sex And The City's Cynthia Nixon shows off new baby with her lesbian partner

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1356422/Cynthia-Nixon-shows-new-baby-lesbian-partner-Christine-Marinoni.html#ixzz1DsKz5y9M
Probably, because maybe it seems more biologically natural, two women holding a baby which is theirs seems more acceptable than two men.  But again that's my personal view - something I'd be grateful that some earlier posters on here would respect, just as I respect theirs, however diametrically opposed they are.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #57 on: February 13, 2011, 09:33 PM »

Read about this on The Telegraph's website. There were over 1000 accompanying reader comments - so many of them oozing bigotry and religious fervour. I could only read a page or so before I became utterly depressed and had to leave it. Frown
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #58 on: February 13, 2011, 09:34 PM »

Is that aimed at me?
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #59 on: February 13, 2011, 09:35 PM »

If civil marriages are acceptable in today's society, then I suppose this is the next logical step.  However, these couples are going to find so very few faiths who will allow their places of worship to be used for this purpose that the idea's virtually dead in the water.

I'm sure eventually it'll come to pass - perhaps for the "right" amount of money, initially.

Probably, because maybe it seems more biologically natural, two women holding a baby which is theirs seems more acceptable than two men.  But again that's my personal view - something I'd be grateful that some earlier posters on here would respect, just as I respect theirs, however diametrically opposed they are.

I agree, it does seem more natural for two women to be holding a baby ... I don't recall reading who the father is?  But, I just skimmed it, so perhaps missed it. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »