Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Should same-sex couples be parents? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Reply
Author

Should same-sex couples be parents?

(Read 2230 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #75 on: February 15, 2011, 03:58 PM »

We aren't really that much off topic because there is a connection here.

I regard myself as a Christian, Hazel, but spoke here from the heart, not from any religious belief.  The truth is that, from our past discussions, you and I could go on debating this subject ad infinitum and never reach any agreement. Smile

All I will say is that that clergyman sounded a truly caring and compasssionate man - and to me compassion part of Christ's teaching, regardless of pronouncements based on ignorance made centuries before his birth.

Also I find your comment that you don't care about the kids or baptism a little strange coming from somebody who is a practising Christian.  According to the Bible (King James) "Jesus said, Suffer [allow] little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven."  I take that to mean that ALL children are innocent and therefore should not be made to suffer for any wrongdoings, whether perceived or true, committed by their parents.

However, the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that the church can no longer continue to remain hidebound by a belief that has for some time been proved by medical science to be totally incorrect.  It is not, therefore, compromising the word of God if it chooses to allow gay couples to be married or blessed within its premises, but I realise that centuries of bigoted, blinkered belief cannot be overturned by a whim of government.

Good posting! Aileen ...  Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #76 on: February 15, 2011, 08:48 PM »

We aren't really that much off topic because there is a connection here.

I regard myself as a Christian, Hazel, but spoke here from the heart, not from any religious belief.  The truth is that, from our past discussions, you and I could go on debating this subject ad infinitum and never reach any agreement. Smile

All I will say is that that clergyman sounded a truly caring and compasssionate man - and to me compassion part of Christ's teaching, regardless of pronouncements based on ignorance made centuries before his birth.

Also I find your comment that you don't care about the kids or baptism a little strange coming from somebody who is a practising Christian.  According to the Bible (King James) "Jesus said, Suffer [allow] little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven."  I take that to mean that ALL children are innocent and therefore should not be made to suffer for any wrongdoings, whether perceived or true, committed by their parents.

However, the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that the church can no longer continue to remain hidebound by a belief that has for some time been proved by medical science to be totally incorrect.  It is not, therefore, compromising the word of God if it chooses to allow gay couples to be married or blessed within its premises, but I realise that centuries of bigoted, blinkered belief cannot be overturned by a whim of government.

When I said I didn't care about the kid thing, it was that I would not object not that I don't care about children Rolling Eyes thought my various involvements with children's groups would have made that obvious.

God is infinite and not bound by time period or by a culture. He sees all places and all times. Therefore it would be wrong to write of His Word as hidebound and out of date.

I also know people that change their apparent sexual preference every few years so I'm not convinced that every professing gay is medically gay no

But we won't agree and so lets not discuss it
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #77 on: February 15, 2011, 08:53 PM »

I also know people that change their apparent sexual preference every few years so I'm not convinced that every professing gay is medically gay no

!!!!!!! So many things I could say to that, but I realise there's no point.... Smile
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #78 on: February 15, 2011, 08:54 PM »

!!!!!!! So many things I could say to that, but I realise there's no point.... Smile

Just what I was thinking too ...  Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #79 on: February 15, 2011, 08:56 PM »

I'm not saying some aren't Smile I'm just saying I have people who I am friends with who have been gay, straight, bi and are now straight again Shrug They themselves say that they have now decided that they actually don't think there is anything more to it than their personal choice and that they don't think that they were born gay Shrug I'm not saying this out of some bigoted and un-experienced viewpoint
IP Logged
araminta
Futures Level

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #80 on: February 15, 2011, 09:15 PM »

Who cares what the family set up is as long as the child is loved and brought up in a stable home. It would be interesting to know how many children of same sex couples are abused or even killed compared with those in so called "conventional" set ups.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #81 on: February 15, 2011, 10:14 PM »

Who cares what the family set up is as long as the child is loved and brought up in a stable home. It would be interesting to know how many children of same sex couples are abused or even killed compared with those in so called "conventional" set ups.

yeah I agree Smile
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #82 on: February 15, 2011, 10:51 PM »

Don't know about this, but the following stats surprised me ...

History of Lesbian and Gay Parents by the Numbers

There were an estimated 300,000 to 500,000 gay and lesbian biological parents in 1976. In 1990, an estimated 6 to 14 million children have gay or lesbian parents.

Latest statistics from the U.S. Census 2000, the National Survey of Family Growth (2002), and the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (2004) include:

An estimated two million GLB people are interested in adopting.
An estimated 65,500 adopted children are living with a lesbian or gay parent.
More than 16,000 adopted children are living with lesbian and gay parents in California, the highest number among the states.
Gay and lesbian parents are raising four percent of all adopted children in the United States.
Adopted children with same-sex parents are younger and more likely to be foreign born.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #83 on: June 03, 2011, 08:55 PM »

But the couple do not yet know who the child’s biological father is. Furnish said: ‘Neither of us care. He’s our child. The important thing is that he’s healthy and happy and loved.

Out and about: Sir Elton John with son Zachary in Venice
The couple became parents through a surrogate, who gave birth to Zachary in a California hospital on Christmas Day last year.
During the conception process, the mixing of their semen specimens was allowed - a process which is currently banned in the UK - before being used to fertilise a previously chosen egg.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1393738/Elton-John-son-Zachary-look-uncannily-similar-family-trip-Venice.html#ixzz1OFEJvsce
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #84 on: June 04, 2011, 04:23 AM »

I see they've got round the father/mother issue - Zachary will grow up to call Sir Elton ‘Daddy’ and Furnish ‘Papa’.

Inevitably if he grows up closely resembling one of the pair then it'll be obvious which one of them is the father.  On the other hand he could grow up looking more like the woman who's eggs were used, in which case Shrug
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Should same-sex couples be parents? « Reply #85 on: June 04, 2011, 07:23 AM »

And I suspect that as much as they might like to REALLY know who the father is, they are not about to do a blood test.  Imagine how Elton would feel if it turns out not to be his child ...  I don't think he would handle that very well.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »