Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  How fast is your Internet connection? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: How fast is your Internet connection?  (Read 3583 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #90 on: January 24, 2009, 12:12 AM »

Just because your browser said it, which can easily get it wrong, and just because you felt it was going at the correct speed doesn't mean I can't disapprove it. In fact, I can easily disaprove it... all I need is to know your current connection speed. Most people with decent connections in the UK are on 8mbit and I think you probably are as well which would disprove the alleged download speed you once experienced.

No point telling me to look at what you posted earlier, you just said you may have been upgraded.

You'll have to deal with it, Mark. I saw it and I saw how fast it downloaded. It could not have downloaded so quickly otherwise. I literally sat and watched it.

Get over it.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #91 on: January 24, 2009, 12:13 AM »

Top connection speed for 8mbit is usually around the 800kb/s mark, you really wouldn't notice much of a difference between that and 1MB/s, especially if you were not specifically trying to investigate.

I'm very understandably skeptical because I know browsers can screw it up and I know downloading at 1MB/s in the UK is rare.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #92 on: January 24, 2009, 12:16 AM »

Top connection speed for 8mbit is usually around the 800kb/s mark, you really wouldn't notice much of a difference between that and 1MB/s, especially if you were not specifically trying to investigate.

I'm very understandably skeptical because I know browsers can screw it up and I know downloading at 1MB/s in the UK is very rare.

It only happened once. I could care less whether or not you believe it.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #93 on: January 24, 2009, 12:17 AM »

I'm just saying it probably didn't happen regardless of what your browser said.

I find this topic quite interesting, that's all Smile
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #94 on: January 24, 2009, 12:18 AM »

I'm just saying it probably didn't happen regardless of what your browser said.

I find this topic quite interesting, that's all Smile

I'm telling you it did. Keep denying it, though, if it makes you feel better. Shrug
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #95 on: January 24, 2009, 12:20 AM »

For someone who believes so strongly in logic and evidence, I find it surprising you are so confident about it when you simply can't know that it happened, that's a fact.

Bear in mind it's very rare someone has over 8mbit connection in the UK and then consider that 1MB/s is impossible on that connection and then consider that browsers screw this up... the evidence suggests it probably didn't happen. It's a shame you can't just tell us your connection speed.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #96 on: January 24, 2009, 12:22 AM »

For someone who believes so strongly in logic and evidence, I find it surprising you are so confident about it when you simply can't know that it happened, that's a fact.

Great argument. I saw it and I watched the download. That's my evidence. Your evidence is simply incredulity. lol
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #97 on: January 24, 2009, 12:23 AM »

Great argument. I saw it and I watched the download. That's my evidence. Your evidence is simply incredulity. lol
And yet that evidence has little integrity and I have explained why.

I've given a list of arguments that lead to the conclusion that it is extremely improbable you genuinely experienced that download speed, your evidence does not have much more weight over mine.
[ Last edit by Mark January 24, 2009, 12:26 AM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #98 on: January 24, 2009, 12:25 AM »

And yet that evidence has little integrity and I have explained why.

No, you didn't. I made a conscious effort to see how fast the download was going, as it was the first time it had happened. Like I said, believe what you want.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #99 on: January 24, 2009, 12:27 AM »

Neither of us can prove our side, it's just a big disappointment you can't clear this up by simply finding out what package you are on. I'm not trying to argue it didn't happen, I'm arguing that it's very improbable but I would stand down immediately if you told me your connection speed was faster than 8mbit.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #100 on: January 24, 2009, 12:29 AM »

Neither of us can prove ourselves, it's just a big disappointment you can't clear this up by simplifying finding out what package you are on. I'm not trying to argue it didn't happen, I'm arguing that it's very improbable but I would stand down immediately if you told me your connection speed was faster than 8mbit.

I've never paid attention to that. We get upgraded periodically. I don't much care, as it's not a subject that interests me.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #101 on: January 24, 2009, 12:31 AM »

OK cool, I don't mean to be trying to have a dig at you, it's just this subject is something I have a fair bit of knowledge and interest in hence why I wanted to be sure that you were not deceived by your browser.
IP Logged
charlienomad
Seed

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #102 on: January 24, 2009, 12:37 AM »

What do these speed tests really mean Mark?  It seems to depend entirely on which location you test with??  I don't understand Think
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #103 on: January 24, 2009, 12:39 AM »

What do these speed tests really mean Mark?  It seems to depend entirely on which location you test with??  I don't understand Think

I did this before, and mine is total pants.  Frown    
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: How fast is your Internet connection? « Reply #104 on: January 24, 2009, 12:42 AM »

What do these speed tests really mean Mark?  It seems to depend entirely on which location you test with??  I don't understand Think
Yeah, it's not always going to be that accurate and you also have to wonder how decent that website is. Naturally, if you happen to be testing your connection speed from a server in America then it might not show your connection's full potential.
[ Last edit by Mark January 24, 2009, 01:00 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »