Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Facebook, Twitter & Social Networking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 ... 76 Go Down Reply
Author

Facebook, Twitter & Social Networking

(Read 20270 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Facebook « Reply #1035 on: April 25, 2011, 09:26 PM »

^ Hmm... interesting take.  It'd make for a good discussion...  yes
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Facebook « Reply #1036 on: April 25, 2011, 09:28 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, it detracts from real life.  How many people have sooooo many issues from ir?  It's a crazy way to communicate, and a way that often sees a person's self esteem die.  There is no way other than to meet a person in real life.  To have the 5 senses come into play. Only then you can know if you wish to take it forward.

This is not just aimed at you just you said the words I find funny Shrug

We are all having this conversation where you're view is that it is a crazy way to communicate...but aren't we doing the same on here? Yeah there is the anonymity of user names and we can share as much or as little of 'real life' as we wish, but these are still 'relationships' founded on online conversation and no more. So to me this is crazier that Facebook as I know and have met almost all the people I am friends with on fb, the only exceptions being the very few people from here who I have added, and Julia, V and I all plan on meeting over the the summer, so we will meet face to face (yay)
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1037 on: April 25, 2011, 09:34 PM »

This is not just aimed at you just you said the words I find funny Shrug

We are all having this conversation where you're view is that it is a crazy way to communicate...but aren't we doing the same on here? Yeah there is the anonymity of user names and we can share as much or as little of 'real life' as we wish, but these are still 'relationships' founded on online conversation and no more. So to me this is crazier that Facebook as I know and have met almost all the people I am friends with on fb, the only exceptions being the very few people from here who I have added, and Julia, V and I all plan on meeting over the the summer, so we will meet face to face (yay)
I'm the opposite of you, Hazel, my friends I've known for the longest time, and they wouldn't entertain FB.  It's not a crazy way to chat, but as for making good friends..... It's not my way.  I guess we are all different.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Facebook « Reply #1038 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40 PM »

I'm the opposite of you, Hazel, my friends I've known for the longest time, and they wouldn't entertain FB.  It's not a crazy way to chat, but as for making good friends..... It's not my way.  I guess we are all different.

Ah right I see the post from Julia that explains the 'building relationships' I have never 'made friends' through facebook, only built on friendships and relationships begun elsewhere.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1039 on: April 25, 2011, 09:46 PM »

Huh? Making friends is not the purpose of Facebook... it's to keep in contact with people you know.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Facebook « Reply #1040 on: April 25, 2011, 09:48 PM »

Huh? Making friends is not the purpose of Facebook... it's to keep in contact with people you know.

Or to find out information about people ... Frown
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1041 on: April 25, 2011, 09:51 PM »

Like what?? Where they work? What they studied at university?  You should have a rough idea if they're your friend as it is.  You don't even have to provide those details, it's your choice.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1042 on: April 25, 2011, 09:52 PM »

But it turns into more.  I'd far rather keep my own counsel and communicate with my loved ones on Skype etc.  I honestly think FB is the devil's work.  It goes from a tenatative toe in the water, to an obsession.  Does nobody any good.  Just keeps you wondering what everyone else is saying about you, because you reveal so much...
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Facebook « Reply #1043 on: April 25, 2011, 09:53 PM »

Like what?? Where they work? What they studied at university?  You should have a rough idea if they're your friend as it is.  You don't even have to provide those details, it's your choice.

Stop yelling at me ... I know you can restrict access.  But, if you're trying to find out some information about someone it would mean that someone is not your friend, otherwise you'd just ask, no Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Facebook « Reply #1044 on: April 25, 2011, 09:54 PM »

yes

I think we've been talking at cross-purposes with Elly Smile Facebook is for that 'bumping into you catch-up', so that because you are no longer seeing someone daily at school, work, uni etc you can have that quick catch up that keeps you in touch with them so that when you do see them next you're not so out of date with what they're doing that you have nothing to talk about Smile

Yes in terms of people that you already know, and you can only find out information that they freely offer to you Shrug
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Facebook « Reply #1045 on: April 25, 2011, 09:59 PM »

But it turns into more.  I'd far rather keep my own counsel and communicate with my loved ones on Skype etc.  I honestly think FB is the devil's work.  It goes from a tenatative toe in the water, to an obsession.  Does nobody any good.  Just keeps you wondering what everyone else is saying about you, because you reveal so much...

But you don't have to reveal, it's your choice Shrug And if you're worried about what you're friends are saying behind your back, they you've got the wrong sort of friends anyway, whether you are communicating on facebook or in person Shrug

Stop yelling at me ... I know you can restrict access.  But, if you're trying to find out some information about someone it would mean that someone is not your friend, otherwise you'd just ask, no Smile

But you do ask...it's called posting on a page. They say they've had a bad day or good day and then you ask why Smile If it turns into more than another comment apiece then generally I then dig out my phone and go into full fledged chat.
At the moment, various of my friends are about to graduate and have been finding out about job applications etc, facebook is an easy way for them to tell the people they know whether they got a job or not.

IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1046 on: April 25, 2011, 10:08 PM »

^ It's a well known fact that HR Managers (my friend is one) have ways and means of getting on FB and finding out the ways a potential employee has through this medium...
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Facebook « Reply #1047 on: April 25, 2011, 10:10 PM »

^ It's a well known fact that HR Managers (my friend is one) have ways and means of getting on FB and finding out the ways a potential employee has through this medium...

... and that was precisely the point I was trying to make at the start of this conversation Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Facebook « Reply #1048 on: April 25, 2011, 10:13 PM »

Shrug That's well known these days. Unless you actually insult a previous or current employer, post while you were meant to be working, reveal company secrets or reveal any legally dubious activities on your part then what you do outside work hours is no concern of an employer.
Also if I had an employer who I hadn't added on Facebook who managed to gain access to my page to then check that I was behaving above board-well I would be exchanging words about their own actions in gaining access to my page without my knowledge Smile
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1049 on: April 25, 2011, 10:16 PM »

Stop yelling at me ...

Excuse me?  Yelling is usually denoted by block capitals but maybe you should undertake a course in online etiquette considering you have been banned from this website for your inadequate behavior before.

But you do ask...it's called posting on a page. They say they've had a bad day or good day and then you ask why Smile If it turns into more than another comment apiece then generally I then dig out my phone and go into full fledged chat.
At the moment, various of my friends are about to graduate and have been finding out about job applications etc, facebook is an easy way for them to tell the people they know whether they got a job or not.

I completely agree. yay  You can keep your friends list up to date and remove those who cause you any sort of discomfort or who irritate you. Most people will protect information that they think is unnecessary for certain individuals to know.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 ... 76 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »