Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Facebook, Twitter & Social Networking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 ... 76 Go Down Reply
Author

Facebook, Twitter & Social Networking

(Read 21670 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Facebook « Reply #1050 on: April 25, 2011, 10:17 PM »

Shrug That's well known these days. Unless you actually insult a previous or current employer, post while you were meant to be working, reveal company secrets or reveal any legally dubious activities on your part then what you do outside work hours is no concern of an employer.
Also if I had an employer who I hadn't added on Facebook who managed to gain access to my page to then check that I was behaving above board-well I would be exchanging words about their own actions in gaining access to my page without my knowledge Smile
I think you'll find that's not the case, Hazel.  Perhaps it should be, but potential employers are looking way, way beyond this.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Facebook « Reply #1051 on: April 25, 2011, 10:18 PM »

Shrug That's well known these days. Unless you actually insult a previous or current employer, post while you were meant to be working, reveal company secrets or reveal any legally dubious activities on your part then what you do outside work hours is no concern of an employer.
Also if I had an employer who I hadn't added on Facebook who managed to gain access to my page to then check that I was behaving above board-well I would be exchanging words about their own actions in gaining access to my page without my knowledge Smile

While Facebook’s many missteps regarding user privacy and security are legion, the social-networking giant has done some things right. The company came under fire in recent months for changes giving developers access to user addresses and mobile numbers as well as including user photos in targeted advertisements. It did win some praise for rolling out secure connections for users. However, its byzantine maze of opt-out checkboxes continues to confuse users. "Facebook is no stranger to making headlines for all the wrong reasons when it comes to security and privacy,” said Graham Cluley, a senior technology consultant at security firm Sophos.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Facebook « Reply #1052 on: April 25, 2011, 10:21 PM »

I think you'll find that's not the case, Hazel.  Perhaps it should be, but potential employers are looking way, way beyond this.

Well as I said, if an employer gains access to what is meant to be a page where I control who see's it, without my knowledge, then maybe that wouldn't be an employer I'd want to have. Anyway it wouldn't matter on my page, there's nothing incriminating on it. I use it to keep in touch with friends and my page is generally more full of comments I leave on other peoples statuses, photos etc than there are posts on my own wall, so they'd then have to get access to my friends accounts to follow the conversation. Anything more than general catch-up and generalities and I either PM them or contact them privately Shrug
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1053 on: April 25, 2011, 10:25 PM »

I think you'll find that's not the case, Hazel.  Perhaps it should be, but potential employers are looking way, way beyond this.

Any employer who is going to stick their nose up at a few inadequate drunk photos or a bit of bad language isn't worth working for. Anything more offensive than that is simply flagged as inappropriate to be displayed on Facebook and deleted.

It's got nothing to do with Facebook as a medium, it's how the person goes about using it. Unfortunately, some idiotically.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Facebook « Reply #1054 on: April 25, 2011, 10:28 PM »

Any employer who is going to stick their nose up at a few inadequate drunk photos or a bit of bad language isn't worth working for. Anything more offensive than that is simply flagged as inappropriate to be displayed on Facebook and deleted.

It's got nothing to do with Facebook as a medium, it's how the person goes about using it. Unfortunately, some idiotically.

So, you're agreeing with me Smile
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1055 on: April 25, 2011, 10:29 PM »

Clearly not.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Facebook « Reply #1056 on: April 25, 2011, 10:30 PM »

The word 'some' featured there. Not all people are stupid about it, the majority of people use it for communication with friends and a way of keeping up with people who have moved beyond your everday interaction. As with everything, there are some idiots that present a bad view of it.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1057 on: April 25, 2011, 10:31 PM »

Unfortunately, that seems to be the idea of the youth these days.  I'm no stuffed up oldy, but trust me, this will come back to bite you in the arse....   Up to you....
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1058 on: April 25, 2011, 10:48 PM »

Unfortunately, that seems to be the idea of the youth these days.  I'm no stuffed up oldy, but trust me, this will come back to bite you in the arse....   Up to you....

I have my current and previous employer on Facebook. Shrug   Sure, I'm a student so I don't work as a high flying banker but one of them employs over 600 people and associates with industry professionals. If they approve of your résumé and the way you carry yourself, what could possibly bite you in the arse...
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1059 on: April 25, 2011, 10:49 PM »

Employers can pick and choose.  Who are they going to pick?  You want to bet they've done their homework.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1060 on: April 25, 2011, 10:52 PM »

I have my current and previous employer on Facebook. Shrug   Sure, I'm a student so I don't work as a high flying banker but one of them employs over 600 people and associates with industry professionals. If they approve of your résumé and the way you carry yourself, what could possibly bite you in the arse...
And are those student jobs?
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1061 on: April 25, 2011, 10:54 PM »

Of course they pick and choose. So what kind of Facebook profile attributes would you deem undesirable?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1062 on: April 25, 2011, 10:54 PM »

What happens when you want to be taken seriously? 
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1063 on: April 25, 2011, 11:00 PM »

Of course they pick and choose. So what kind of Facebook profile attributes would you deem undesirable?
Not for me to say.  But I hope you get my point.  Very Happy
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Facebook « Reply #1064 on: April 25, 2011, 11:03 PM »

So you're saying that by being sociable enough to want to keep in touch with your friends and relatives, and do so by having a facebook account you won't get offered a job?! the very existence of such a profile will make you untenable to an employer? Don't think so considering how many hundreds of millions of people use facebook. Facebook is a social network, the key word there is social. Being social does not mean not being serious or responsible.
Yes if I looked at someone's profile page and they were out till 3-4am 3/4 nights a week during the work week I'd maybe be concerned...but then again, if they turned up on time and did their full days work to the required standard, then what is the employers right to say what they should do outside those hours if they fulfil their contract?

Personally I think my facebook would actually be a good representation of me to an employer. Yes I use it regularly, but only when not engaged in other tasks that are more necessary. Even when I was a student I generally constrained my time spent on facebook so as not to be distracted. My photos show me with friends and family, my posts reveal my interest not only in my friends and family but the world around me. I don't waste lots of my time or update my status every 3 hours, so I don't see what on my profile could be view as bad?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 ... 76 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »