Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Facebook, Twitter & Social Networking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 Go Down Reply
Author

Facebook, Twitter & Social Networking

(Read 20767 times)
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1065 on: April 25, 2011, 11:04 PM »

And are those student jobs?

Student in the sense that I can only be full-time in the summer due to university but it's not uncommon to work alongside someone who is in their 30s, 40s, 50s... why should employment not be considered seriously at the age of 20?  I will most likely be using these employers as references when I graduate and figure out what I want to do.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Facebook « Reply #1066 on: April 25, 2011, 11:10 PM »

Student in the sense that I can only be full-time in the summer due to university but it's not uncommon to work alongside someone who is in their 30s, 40s, 50s... why should employment not be considered seriously at the age of 20?  I will most likely be using these employers as references when I graduate and figure out what I want to do.
Am not trying to be obtuse, Julia. The main focus was FB and what it reveals.  It's crazy to think potential employers can't access your account and they don't make judgements based on that.  Trying to give you a heads up, that's all...
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1067 on: April 25, 2011, 11:24 PM »

Am not trying to be obtuse, Julia. The main focus was FB and what it reveals.  It's crazy to think potential employers can't access your account and they don't make judgements based on that.  Trying to give you a heads up, that's all...

If they do it without your permission, you can take action. You have a right to privacy and that extends to who you decide gets to see your Facebook page.

Have you ever had a FB profile?
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1068 on: April 25, 2011, 11:25 PM »

No, they can't hack the system. 

What they can do is search for you like any other Facebook user (which you can disable if you wish) and view your public profile. Most people have set their public profile to show a thumbnail of their profile picture and their name. They have no way of seeing your comments, other photos, other information unless you deem it public, show them yourself or you accept them as a friend. It's very simple.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1069 on: April 25, 2011, 11:27 PM »

What they can do is search for you like any other Facebook user (which you can disable if you wish) and view your public profile. Most people have set their public profile to show a thumbnail of their profile picture and their name. They have no way of seeing your comments, other photos, other information unless you deem it public, show them yourself or you accept them as a friend. It's very simple.

Exactly. And if they do hack your profile, they have broken the law.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Facebook « Reply #1070 on: April 25, 2011, 11:31 PM »

If they do it without your permission, you can take action. You have a right to privacy and that extends to who you decide gets to see your Facebook page.

Have you ever had a FB profile?
No, but I know it's possible for employers to see - be it hacking, or otherwise.  If it is hacking, I don't agree with it, but it is done, and what you choose to reveal is there for all to see.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1071 on: April 25, 2011, 11:32 PM »

Exactly. And if they do hack your profile, they have broken the law.

I don't think that's actually possible or ever been done. It would certainly be the worst kind of publicity for a company.

As I said, it's all up to the individual to figure out what kind of privacy they need.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1072 on: April 25, 2011, 11:33 PM »

No, but I know it's possible for employers to see - be it hacking, or otherwise.  If it is hacking, I don't agree with it, but it is done, and what you choose to reveal is there for all to see.

Then you can take legal action. An employer cannot access your details without opening themselves up to legal action, unless you give them access.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1073 on: April 25, 2011, 11:37 PM »

Glad we got that one sorted. :P
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1074 on: April 25, 2011, 11:39 PM »

Now I best get back to work. You women and your distractions.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1075 on: April 25, 2011, 11:52 PM »

If you want distractions, call Veronica. Rolling Eyes

I have an Entrepreneurship exam tomorrow, a gift of credits since you get to write about sh*t like Facebook!!! yay
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Facebook « Reply #1076 on: April 26, 2011, 12:18 AM »

Excuse me, I've been napping!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Facebook « Reply #1077 on: April 26, 2011, 10:18 AM »

It's something 'we' have been doing, only in reverse but it also showed me what people can see about me now and that's hopefully just a picture of a box of chocolates and nothing else.  You have to be very careful what you say on the internet - it's a public place and can be used against you.  That's why I don't b*tch about work on here innocent
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Facebook « Reply #1078 on: April 28, 2011, 03:41 PM »

I was just wondering how much FACEBOOK is worth, and the info just popped up today ...

Is the Facebook bubble about to burst? Early investors want out by offloading $1billion of shares

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1381401/Facebook-early-investors-want-offload-1billion-shares.html#ixzz1KpS8lQBR
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Facebook « Reply #1079 on: April 28, 2011, 03:54 PM »

Fair enough, so the investors don't feel there is that much upside from the current valuation. Sounds like a sensible move, nothing of concern really.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »