Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Spooks, spectres and the supernatural 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 45 Go Down Reply
Author

Spooks, spectres and the supernatural

(Read 16402 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #465 on: December 13, 2011, 05:08 PM »

Just to clarify......The man who helped my sister is not a 'stage' medium! He's just an ordinary man with a special talent who helps a lot of people! When she asked what she owed, he asked for £5 to cover his petrol! He wouldn't take a penny more!
IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #466 on: December 13, 2011, 05:34 PM »

Didn't mean to offend you, Caz. I haven't read back which I probably should've done. It's a sensetive subject, I understand that. Apologies.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #467 on: December 13, 2011, 05:53 PM »

That's ok Kel.......You're right! It is a sensitive subject! I don't think people can 'really' believe until they've had their own experience! I know I didn't....even though I wanted to! It's not such a long thread.......You might find it interesting!
IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #468 on: December 13, 2011, 06:48 PM »

That's ok Kel.......You're right! It is a sensitive subject! I don't think people can 'really' believe until they've had their own experience! I know I didn't....even though I wanted to! It's not such a long thread.......You might find it interesting!
Cheers, Caz. And I will read back. It's a fascinating topic, as you say. Take care. x
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #469 on: December 14, 2011, 03:50 AM »

Fancy a Chrstmas vacation on the original Queen Mary?   w00t nervous

The Queen Mary Haunting

The Queen Mary was in service for decades as both a World War II transport ship and a luxury liner. It wasn't intended as such at the time, but the Queen Mary was named "The Grey Ghost" during the war because of the color she was painted to make her stealthy in the war-time waters.

In her time, the Queen Mary carried seasick sailors, destitute stowaways and wealthy vacationers. With this kind of history it's not surprising she saw her own share of deaths, now a hair shy of 50. In fact, there are so many haunting that some parts of the ship are now barred from the public. But for the paranormally curious there are still haunted tours of the cabins and halls that housed death. You can also lodge at the Queen Mary but after reading this, you may have second thoughts.

Of the numerous deaths, there was a young seaman by the name of John Henry who lied about his age to procure a position on the Queen Mary and was soon crushed to death while trying to flee a fire. To this day, knocks and bright lights can be heard around engine room 13 where the young man met his untimely death. Ịt's even been reported that the door to the engine room is sometimes hot to the touch or that mixed in with a ball of light is tendrils of smoke.

If spooky little girls like the ones in the Shinning scare you then you'll want to stay clear of the pool area. A girl from third class thought she'd have some fun and slide down the banister but a sudden wave upset her course and she broke her neck on the fall. She now wanders the pool area and nursery looking for her doll or mommy. She is not alone though. In the 30's and 60's two other women met their unfortunate deaths in the pool area and are seen periodically in that area.

War always brings atrocities but how about a cook that was cooked because the troops on board didn't like his meals? They stuffed him into the oven and burnt him alive as a lesson for bad cuisine. His screams still echo his horrible death to this day.

If you're still feeling brave enough to consider sleeping on the Queen, there was also a reported visitor that slipped a steward some cash in exchange for finding a 'willing' female passenger to keep him company for the night. After stowing his luggage, a female companion was found and they retired for the night. In the morning the man was missing from the dining hall so the steward went to find him. What they found instead was the corpse of the female companion! They could not locate the male guest, his registration information for that room nor his luggage, which people swore was checked and stowed. He simply vanished and left only a trail of blood and rumors.

The Queen Mary is home to 49 deaths but she was also surrounded by death. In an attempt to avoid enemy ships, she zig zagged her way into her companion ship, nearly cutting it in half, and was forced to leave 300 survivors in the water to be eaten by sharks or drowned. It is reported that mysterious pounding on the side of the Queen Mary is those men trying to signal to come on board.

The in-house psychic, Peter James, claims that he has communicated with over 150 separate ghosts on the ship. Peter gives bi-monthly ghost tours of the ship and claims to have made numerous contact with various ghosts, including a few mentioned above. From the sheer number and type of deaths that occurred, it seems plausible.

This is surely one of the most haunted places of modern times in America.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #470 on: December 14, 2011, 07:24 AM »

Wow........Great story Aileen! I've read about John Henry and the poolside ghosts before, but I've never heard of the 'cook' or 'the male passenger with the woman' or the 300 men in the water! Gruesome stuff! I'm sure I read somewhere that, as well as various rooms like the boiler room being 'blocked off' to the public, they actually have a whole level of cabins blocked off because of the hauntings! Maybe that's where the murdered woman was found! Thank you for posting that Aileen, but would I fancy a Christmas vacation there?.......Not on your nelly!  nervous
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #471 on: December 14, 2011, 12:43 PM »

Wow........Great story Aileen! I've read about John Henry and the poolside ghosts before, but I've never heard of the 'cook' or 'the male passenger with the woman' or the 300 men in the water! Gruesome stuff! I'm sure I read somewhere that, as well as various rooms like the boiler room being 'blocked off' to the public, they actually have a whole level of cabins blocked off because of the hauntings! Maybe that's where the murdered woman was found! Thank you for posting that Aileen, but would I fancy a Christmas vacation there?.......Not on your nelly!  nervous
Glad you enjoyed this one.  Must admit it was a new story to me and very interesting what you say about the blocked off cabins ...  I don't think I would even care to visit the ship never mind spend a night on it!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #472 on: December 15, 2011, 02:01 PM »

Cheers, Caz. And I will read back. It's a fascinating topic, as you say. Take care. x
Glad we sorted that out Kel! You take care too!  hug
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #473 on: December 16, 2011, 11:27 AM »

I've only just found this thread - I have to say it makes interesting reading.  I thought I might share just one or two things that have happened in our family over the years.

*  During the war my sister was staying with a friend.  My sister and her friend slept in her mother and father's bed.  In the early hours of the morning my sister was woken by a man walking towards her in full flying kit - she sat up and put the light on and the figure disappeared - although shaken, she convinced herself that she had been dreaming.  At breakfast the next morning she told her friend and her mother of her 'dream'.  Her mother's reaction was to say, 'Oh that's our James, he was a pilot and has been reported missing.  I know that he's dead but I'm sure he comes to tell me that he's alright and that I'm not to worry about him.'

*  My mother told me that she had dreamed about Robert Kennedy being shot three days before it happened.  All the details that she related from her dream proved to be true.

*  My parents retired to a three hundred old house in Perthshire.  At that time I was in my late teens and the only one of the family left at home.  Quite often I was awoken by the sound of a child crying and a strong smell of burning in my bedroom.  No-one else heard or smelt anything.  Some years later, when I was working abroad, my older sister and her children were staying with my mother.  During the night she woke my mother to say that the children had been crying and there was a smell of smoke in the bedroom.  The children were sleeping in my room.  I had never told my sister about what I had witnessed and neither had my mother who had previously dismissed it as a figment of my imagination.

*  When our children left home we moved into a new build house.  Strange things began to happen.  Items disappeared and then turned up in very obvious places.  Things fell off the wall for no apparent reason and once, when we were decorating, a brand new pot of paint that hadn't been opened and was sitting way away from the top of the stairs, managed to throw itself down the stairs spraying paint everywhere.  Even my total sceptic of a husband became convinced that we had a presence.  Strangely, the people who bought the house when we moved put it back on the market after only three months of living in it - even though they had said it was their dream house when they bought it and paid us way over the asking price for it!  Our former neighbours said they gave no explanation for moving away.

I'm not saying that any of these happenings were supernatural - there may well have been totally logical explanations for them all - but they were certainly strange!
[ Last edit by Alis December 16, 2011, 11:38 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #474 on: December 17, 2011, 02:02 AM »

I've only just found this thread - I have to say it makes interesting reading.  I thought I might share just one or two things that have happened in our family over the years.
Welcome to the Spooky thread, Alis!

What fascinating accounts.  They certainly tie in with a lot of the other stories that have been told on this thread - bizarre incidents for which there was no apparent logical explanation.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #475 on: December 17, 2011, 10:04 AM »

I meant to respond to this yesterday Alis, but just ran out of time! I agree with Aileen........It's a fascinating list and the new build you lived in sounds to me like a typical classic haunting! Things going missing only to turn up in the obvious place where you'd probably searched a dozen times.........things dropping off walls for no obvious reason and how could that can of paint get down the stairs when it was set well away? May I ask how long you lived in that house and was that the reason you left?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #476 on: December 17, 2011, 02:11 PM »

We lived in the house for seven years, Caz - we didn't actually feel that the presence was threatening merely annoying really.  Our younger daughter though would never stay in the house alone after she had witnessed one or two rather alarming incidents when she was there on her own.  Once she heard a tremendous bang upstairs and when she investigated found that the towel rail in the bathroom had mysteriously removed itself from the wall and deposited itself in the basin on the other side of the room!  We eventually moved when we retired about 5 years ago.  We haven't heard how the new, new owners of the house are getting on!
[ Last edit by Alis December 17, 2011, 05:16 PM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #477 on: December 17, 2011, 04:46 PM »

I think most of them just want to be acknowledged Alis, though some, I believe, are either lost or maybe just too afraid to 'move on'! These latter ones can usually be helped by a good medium! Apparently, there aren't too many really nasty ones around! Some people seem able to get along quite nicely with a spirit in their house, but I'm not too sure I could!  nervous
[ Last edit by Caz December 18, 2011, 05:25 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #478 on: December 18, 2011, 01:36 AM »

I've just remembered a couple of interesting phenomena which were experienced by terminally ill people on the point of dying.

The first was my mother.  She was in hospital suffering from stomach cancer.  The day before she died she told me - in a completely matter-of-fact way - that she'd seen my father, who had died six years earlier, walk down the ward and stand at the foot of her bed for about a minute before vanishing.  I reckon he was just letting her know he was waiting for her to join him.

The second was the cousin of a friend.  She had breast cancer which had been treated but had returned after a few years.  This time she didn't respond to the treatment but the hospital had agreed to her request that she be allowed home to live out her last days with her family.  One night she was sitting up in bed with her husband beside her, and he noticed that she kept looking at one of the corners of the room.  Curious, he asked her what she was looking at.  "Two angels" she replied.  He then asked her what they were going, to which she answered "They're asleep".  Well, you can draw what conclusion your like from this, but I do believe we have guardian angels and that these two were looking after her until they could guide her to the afterlife, but were just having a rest.  She died three days later.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #479 on: December 18, 2011, 08:13 AM »

I'm so glad you posted this Aileen, 'coz not only is it interesting, but you also reminded me of a similar thing that happened to my Uncle just before he died! He was ill, but not bedridden.......He'd spend his day sitting in his armchair in the lounge! During this time, my mother visited him 'every' afternoon, even though she had to take two busses right across Glasgow to get there! She'd cook him a dinner and see to his laundry ect. One day he told her that he'd seen my other Uncle the previous evening! That he'd popped his head round the lounge door to say hello! This was something he'd always done when he arrived, before he died some years previously! My Uncle told my mother...."He looked beautiful! He was smiling and his face was glowing!" He died a few days later!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »