Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Spooks, spectres and the supernatural 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 45 Go Down Reply
Author

Spooks, spectres and the supernatural

(Read 15931 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 07:49 PM »

No, it really was just a coincidence, Aileen.
And my moher's dream was coincidence too?  Sorry, I have to disagree.  I've had similar experiences in the past when I've been awake and have known about something happening at the time it actually has, like the sudden death of my Dad.

From my own experiences, and those I've heard of others who've had similar, I believe that it's possible to somehow "tune in" to events - like you're on some sort of psychic wave-length.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #31 on: May 08, 2010, 08:04 PM »

I've dreamt about plane accidents before but nothing has happened in real life... think about how many people there are and how many types of dreams people experience over a night. Of course there will be coincidences.

To be fair I have had some scary experiences. Like Andrew remember we were playing Who Am I and I guessed the answer basically a second into the game without looking at you or asking you a question. That's definitely knowing someone inside out though I think Think
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #32 on: May 08, 2010, 08:51 PM »

No, it really was just a coincidence, Aileen.
Maybe it was - but these things happen so often to so many people. I'm not suggesting there isn't a scientific explanation, but noone seems to have found it yet. In centuries gone by many things which are today explainable by knowledge and science were considered to be supernatural happenings. However clever we have become we don't know it all.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 01:06 AM »

I've dreamt about plane accidents before but nothing has happened in real life... think about how many people there are and how many types of dreams people experience over a night. Of course there will be coincidences.

To be fair I have had some scary experiences. Like Andrew remember we were playing Who Am I and I guessed the answer basically a second into the game without looking at you or asking you a question. That's definitely knowing someone inside out though I think Think
I respect your opinion, but the fact is that not only DID something happen at exactly the same time as my dream (and I've never dreamed about plane crashes before) but I was actually on board that plane.   My mother's childhood "Titanic" dream also occurred on the night the ship sank.  Dreams are very complex things and, despite the number of "experts" on the subject, I don't think anybody fully understands them.

I went for Dream Group Therapy once a week for 10 weeks after my mother died because I was having terrifyingly vivid nightmares, many of which included her, and, I have to say, even the lady in charge of the group was quite shocked by the intensity of them.  However, just talking the dreams through in the group seemed to have a positive effect and my own conclusion was that, while I was sleeping, a lot of emotional stress was coming to the surface, so sharing it and talking about it was obviously going to help.

Your experience with Andrew could, as you say, simply be because you know him so well and so just briefly got onto his "wave-length" - telepathy, ie thought transference, in fact.  It's not that unusual and least there is some scientific evidence to support its existence.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 03:04 AM »

Talking of telepathy reminds me of my own experience.  I was 18 and living in "digs" in Edinburgh.  I used to go home every weekend.  Late one Thursday evening my landlady was out and I was on my own playing the piano when I heard my mother's voice call my name three times.  It was so clear that I actually said "What is it Mum?".  Puzzled, I thought of phoning home but knew that my Dad would call if anything was wrong.

When I arrived at my parents' house the following day I discovered that my mother was ill with flu.  The first thing she said to me was how glad she was to see me because the previous evening she had felt so unwell at one point that she kept saying "I wish Aileen was here", "I wish Aileen was here".......

IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 03:08 AM »

I can't take this seriously. There's no way to really evaluate anecdotal evidence, as it's completely unreliable.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 03:35 AM »

With respect, that's typical intellectual, academic thinking.  If something cannot be validated several times over, therefore it cannot possibly be true or reliable.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 03:41 AM »

With respect, that's typical intellectual, academic thinking.  If something cannot be validated several times over, therefore it cannot possibly be true or reliable.

I'm not saying that it can't be true. I am saying that it isn't reliable. And it isn't.

Memory is notoriously imperfect. People also tend to embellish.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 03:49 AM »

My memory is perfectly clear on all the events I've mentioned on this thread, simply because they are so memorable, and I've embellished nothing, just told it as it is.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 03:53 AM »

My memory is perfectly clear on all the events I've mentioned on this thread, simply because they are so memorable, and I've embellished nothing, just told it as it is.

No, it isn't. No one's memory is perfect. It doesn't matter whether you say that you haven't embellished, it's a known fact that people do embellish when it comes to this stuff. They focus on what supports what they want to think and they ignore what doesn't. Cold readers have demonstrated this on people who think they are being read by a psychic.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 04:21 AM »

Can you elaborate on your last sentence please?  I'm interested to know what tests were carried out, and how.

I've no objection to people being negative on this thread.  It's a subject that fascinates me, so all points of view are welcome.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 09, 2010, 04:29 AM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 05:00 AM »

Can you elaborate on your last sentence please?  I'm interested to know what tests were carried out, and how.

I've no objection to people being negative on this thread.  It's a subject that fascinates me, so all points of view are welcome.

There have been a few experiments done. The one that springs to mind involves James Van Pragh. Michael Shermer looked at one of his performances on videotape. He found that people ignored everything he got wrong and focused exclusively on the "hits".
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #42 on: May 09, 2010, 09:28 AM »

Derren Brown perfectly highlighted how people are fooled by cold reading in one of his shows.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #43 on: May 09, 2010, 11:00 AM »

I'm not a big believer in these things, but I do think odd things happen sometimes. The night my Grandad died, I was at home asleep and my Mum was at the hospital and I woke up randomly in the middle of the night at the exact time that I later found out he passed away...
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #44 on: May 09, 2010, 12:45 PM »

I'm open to the idea that people can be in tune in a special way with family and others who they are very close too, I've also experienced a few things like this.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »