Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Spooks, spectres and the supernatural 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 45 Go Down Reply
Author

Spooks, spectres and the supernatural

(Read 15866 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #60 on: May 09, 2010, 11:17 PM »

God, no. It's all fake.
Indeed lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #61 on: May 09, 2010, 11:44 PM »

Hey, there are loads of green orbs in Most Haunted. Saying that, there was also Kreed Kafer, but that's another story. Google it if you're confused.
Never watched Most Haunted but was an avid reader in my teens of Dennis Wheatley.  In his books the blobs were always purple in colour.

Also having never heard of the gentleman, I did Google Kreed Kafer - just one of the names Derek Faker used.  I watched this brief video once, and that was enough to convince me the man's an imposter-

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #62 on: May 10, 2010, 12:26 AM »

No, it was a very old hospital with a mental health unit. It was still a hospital. A creepy old one. Lots of hospitals have staff quarters for nurses. I worked in HR, but they gave me a room. The wrong one.
Nice to hear that somebody I thought would be sceptical has actually admitted to having seen something spooky.  Old hospitals, though, are great places for ghosts, probably not surprisingly.

The old Northern General Hospital in Edinburgh was knocked down and replaced by a well-known supermarket about 15 years ago.  Not long after the store opened, staff and customers began to report seeing items fly off shelves, or suddenly feeling very cold.  It got to the stage where staff were leaving because of this.

However, the crunch came one night, when, about an hour after the store closed, two male members of staff saw the figure of an oldish man slowly walking down one of the aisles.  Puzzled because the premises were always thoroughly checked by their security people for any customers who might have got locked in, they followed the figure and called out to him.  They got no response and the figure kept on walking until he came to the end of the aisle, at which point he simply disappeared.  The two employees bolted out of the building and refused to return to work.  This time the Manager decided enough was enough and got a clergyman in to exorcise the place.  Not quite The Exorcist sort of stuff, but it worked and there were no more problems.

I can only add that I visited this supermarket about two weeks after it opened - when none of these incidents had been reported in the media - and was standing beside one of the shelves when I began to feel very cold indeed and also that I was being engulfed by something dark and unpleasant.  I stood there  for about 3 or 4 minutes, frightened and unable to move.  When I did manage to pull myself away from this "thing" I headed straight for the check-out and the exit!  I never went back.

Oh dear - I could go on with my own experiences, but I'd prefer to hear those of others.

However, the one place in Edinburgh I will NEVER visit is Mary King's Close - part of the old city lying beneath the High Street (the Royal Mile) and the City Chambers.  I once got as far as the main entrance to pay my entry money, and that was quite enough!  Sadly the Close has been made tourist-friendly, with guides dressed in the costume of the day, who relate the history of the place embellished with spooky tales.  I reckon this has probably frightened the original ghostly inhabitants off, but strange things still seem to happen, like photographs that don't come out or have odd images in them ..... http://www.stuckonscotland.co.uk/edinburgh/mary-kings-close.html  

[ Last edit by Aileen May 10, 2010, 01:12 AM ] IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #63 on: May 10, 2010, 03:09 AM »

I don't believe in spirits or seances or anything of the sort. I mean, I used to have vivid dreams involving my grandmother and the circumstances surrounding her death. I used to tell my mother them and she swore that my grandmother was trying to talk to me through my dreams, but I believe it was just my subconscious grasping at straws because I missed her.
IP Logged
Flyfifer

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #64 on: May 10, 2010, 03:09 AM »

Have a look at these photos, taken in the 1920s.  I don't think anything has changed and that all mediums are crooks but although I've had no spooky experiences myself I do accept that a lot of things happen which totally defy rational explanation.
http://ripaonline.co.uk/famous-folk/william-hope-s-spirit-pictures
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #65 on: May 10, 2010, 07:03 AM »

It's atmospheres in houses that get to me, whether I know the people or not, e.g. househunting.  I walked into a house in the US which was for sale and got about a yard over the threshold and "it" hit me.  I back pedalled as fast as I could with the Realtor wondering what was going on.  I offered the excuse that I was feeling unwell (and I was).  Come to find out there had been terrific violence in that house.  That was an extreme atmospheric house experience, but I get a definite "take", good or bad, on every house I walk in to.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #66 on: May 10, 2010, 07:56 AM »

I think she's a brilliant character, so I take it somewhat as a compliment. The way she thinks is an exaggeration of the way I think, at least to some extent. However, that has nothing to do with how I relate to the people I care about. That is simply an epistemological approach. You don't know me. I'm not cold or emotionless, Jan. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who would more readily sacrifice their own well-being for the well-being of others.

No James, I have never ever believed or thought you are cold and emotionless, Bones isn't either. You have said enough in your posts re your family for anyone to realise how close you are to them - just little things. It's just the thought processes which are similar and that is why you remind me of her. People are so individual it would be very wrong to classify anyone in a certain mould without knowing them really well.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #67 on: May 10, 2010, 09:26 AM »

Gosh, some fascinating accounts. My hubby's parents would give explanations for the happenings in his old house only for them to later admit,yes they lived in a haunted house.

The time when he was slapped around the head by a magazine when he was being cheeky to his mum (the wind apparently). Or the time all the glasses exploded in the drinks cabinet (extreme heat that time). Or the time the ashtray his gran was going to use shot to the other side of the window sill (mining subsidence for that one and his gran vowed never to return to the house and didn't).

I have heard that angels leave white feathers as a sign that the are about, so that encounter you had Elly was really interesting-I knew it was going to be something nice.

I have heard quite the opposite about flames/fire Think
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #68 on: May 10, 2010, 10:38 PM »

Gosh, some fascinating accounts. My hubby's parents would give explanations for the happenings in his old house only for them to later admit,yes they lived in a haunted house.

The time when he was slapped around the head by a magazine when he was being cheeky to his mum (the wind apparently). Or the time all the glasses exploded in the drinks cabinet (extreme heat that time). Or the time the ashtray his gran was going to use shot to the other side of the window sill (mining subsidence for that one and his gran vowed never to return to the house and didn't).

I have heard that angels leave white feathers as a sign that the are about, so that encounter you had Elly was really interesting-I knew it was going to be something nice.

I have heard quite the opposite about flames/fire Think
I'm far from an idiot, Bev, and I don't live my life by supernatural stuff.  However, I've visited a medium  a couple of times, and there is no way they could have come out with the personal stuff they could have.  It's truly not possible for a complete stranger to recognise your 'pet name' that a loved one gave you etc.  It's just not.  It's certainly feasible to pick up on random stuff that you want to identify with, and say, oh yes, maybe.  But when it comes down to intimate sayings that only you and one other person you know said, then it becomes a bit more bemusing.   And... it's really comforting, because you feel that person is still with you.  Smile
[ Last edit by Elly May 10, 2010, 10:58 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #69 on: May 10, 2010, 11:02 PM »

^ And now I sounded like I had a go at you.  I didn't  Very Happy
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #70 on: May 11, 2010, 12:24 AM »

Gullibility has been taken to new heights.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #71 on: May 12, 2010, 10:26 AM »

I may not have had too many spooky encounters but the one related below is perhaps the one that affected me most. I can still remember very clearly the chill and the desperate need to get out that I felt then, even though it took place 5/6 years ago. I included it in an article I wrote on Mysterious Dartmoor for Devon Life. Os was ahead of me out of sight somewhere down the gully when it happened and gullibility didn't come into it!

'On any part of the moor, low cloud or the mists which sometimes appear from nowhere can give even the most familiar places a sinister feel. We choose our days here with care to gain the most from the photographs we take and there are few times when I have felt ill at ease anywhere – except that is for Chaw Gully. It is one of the deepest and longest mining gullies on the moor and runs down from the Challacombe stone row to the Redwater Valley opposite the Warren House Inn.

Tin has been mined here throughout the centuries, each new working deepening the old, until the final deep shafts were sunk in the bottom of the gully. I remember we were exploring and letterboxing here, that above us we could hear, but not feel, the stiff breeze which had sprung up, chasing dark clouds before it.  We had penetrated quite deep along a narrow section, when suddenly I was overwhelmed by a desperate need to get out. Only when I reached the wide section towards the gully head did this awful panic subside.

It may have been my first (and last) encounter with claustrophobia but Chaw Gully bears a legend too, connected with the chaw/chough or raven which favours this part of the moor. Small amounts of gold often accompany tin lodes and legend says the finest tin and largest quantity of gold exist in Chaw Gully. It is said to be guarded by an ancient raven, the very one that Noah sent from the Ark, and a monster deep underground. Warned by the raven, a ghostly hand will cut the rope of any miner foolish enough to lower himself into the shaft to seek these treasures and his body will be found the following day stretched out on the moor above.'

If you are wondering what letterboxing is: Hidden all over the moor are picturesque rubberstamps, housed  in little boxes with a visitors book for you to sign when you have added the stamp impression to your collection. There are many thousands of these and the clues to them can be found in a catalogue or through Word of Mouth. Grid references, compass bearings on certain tors and features etc etc are given in these clues - it is a bit like orienteering, is great fun and we have been doingn it for 25 years. It is a cult thing too with a special Meet held twice a year on the moor. Addicts of this hobby come from all over the British Isles and as far afield as America where they have their own thing going. I've even written a little book about it as a guide for beginners so they don't spoil the moor in the process of hunting for the boxes. Most letterboxers are total Dartmoor adicts too but what I have related above is the one and only time I have felt threatened on the moor, being quite used to walking on my own without any fear or problems.
Letterboxers are a friendly lot and we have many friends among them.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #72 on: May 12, 2010, 03:52 PM »

I may not have had too many spooky encounters but the one related below is perhaps the one that affected me most. I can still remember very clearly the chill and the desperate need to get out that I felt then, even though it took place 5/6 years ago. I included it in an article I wrote on Mysterious Dartmoor for Devon Life. Os was ahead of me out of sight somewhere down the gully when it happened and gullibility didn't come into it!

'On any part of the moor, low cloud or the mists which sometimes appear from nowhere can give even the most familiar places a sinister feel. We choose our days here with care to gain the most from the photographs we take and there are few times when I have felt ill at ease anywhere – except that is for Chaw Gully. It is one of the deepest and longest mining gullies on the moor and runs down from the Challacombe stone row to the Redwater Valley opposite the Warren House Inn.

Tin has been mined here throughout the centuries, each new working deepening the old, until the final deep shafts were sunk in the bottom of the gully. I remember we were exploring and letterboxing here, that above us we could hear, but not feel, the stiff breeze which had sprung up, chasing dark clouds before it.  We had penetrated quite deep along a narrow section, when suddenly I was overwhelmed by a desperate need to get out. Only when I reached the wide section towards the gully head did this awful panic subside.

It may have been my first (and last) encounter with claustrophobia but Chaw Gully bears a legend too, connected with the chaw/chough or raven which favours this part of the moor. Small amounts of gold often accompany tin lodes and legend says the finest tin and largest quantity of gold exist in Chaw Gully. It is said to be guarded by an ancient raven, the very one that Noah sent from the Ark, and a monster deep underground. Warned by the raven, a ghostly hand will cut the rope of any miner foolish enough to lower himself into the shaft to seek these treasures and his body will be found the following day stretched out on the moor above.'

If you are wondering what letterboxing is: Hidden all over the moor are picturesque rubberstamps, housed  in little boxes with a visitors book for you to sign when you have added the stamp impression to your collection. There are many thousands of these and the clues to them can be found in a catalogue or through Word of Mouth. Grid references, compass bearings on certain tors and features etc etc are given in these clues - it is a bit like orienteering, is great fun and we have been doingn it for 25 years. It is a cult thing too with a special Meet held twice a year on the moor. Addicts of this hobby come from all over the British Isles and as far afield as America where they have their own thing going. I've even written a little book about it as a guide for beginners so they don't spoil the moor in the process of hunting for the boxes. Most letterboxers are total Dartmoor adicts too but what I have related above is the one and only time I have felt threatened on the moor, being quite used to walking on my own without any fear or problems.
Letterboxers are a friendly lot and we have many friends among them.

Legend says? I guess it must be true, then. Legends are never speculative, counterfactual nonsense.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #73 on: May 12, 2010, 04:11 PM »

Then I really don't know why such a factual intellectual genius such as yourself would ever want to read this thread.  lol
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #74 on: May 12, 2010, 04:21 PM »

Then I really don't know why such a factual intellectual genius such as yourself would ever want to read this thread.  lol

It's like not being able to avert your eyes from a car crash.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »