Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Spooks, spectres and the supernatural 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 Go Down Reply
Author

Spooks, spectres and the supernatural

(Read 16222 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #630 on: May 09, 2013, 01:10 PM »

Any thoughts on Sylvia Browne?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jakewallissimons/100215615/us-abduction-video-amanda-berrys-mother-and-the-fraudulent-psychic/
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #631 on: May 09, 2013, 01:12 PM »

Absolutely! It's people like her who get true mediums a bad name! She's an out and out fraud!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #632 on: May 09, 2013, 01:43 PM »

Despicable. vomit

Have you heard about this, Caz? (I hadn't, until I watched the videos in my last post.)

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge

The Foundation is committed to providing reliable information about paranormal claims. It both supports and conducts original research into such claims.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

To date, no one has passed the preliminary tests.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #633 on: May 09, 2013, 01:50 PM »

Yes Linda, though I'm not sure about JREF. I know that there's been a large sum of money offered by someone or other, for decades! I also know that nobody has ever won it.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #634 on: May 10, 2013, 12:51 AM »

Linda, I'm also intrigued as to why you brought this up! Just what is it do you suppose that someone would have to do to win this enormous amount of money?
[ Last edit by Caz May 10, 2013, 12:56 AM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #635 on: May 10, 2013, 01:04 AM »

Despicable. vomit

Have you heard about this, Caz? (I hadn't, until I watched the videos in my last post.)

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge

The Foundation is committed to providing reliable information about paranormal claims. It both supports and conducts original research into such claims.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

To date, no one has passed the preliminary tests.

That's  just nuts....
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #636 on: May 10, 2013, 01:18 AM »

I don't see how this would work anyway given that genuine paranomal and supernatural events happen spontaneously.  They can't just be called upon to order, which is what this challenge seems to suggest, so I reckon JREF can safely hang on to their $1m.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #637 on: May 10, 2013, 01:24 AM »

I don't see how this would work anyway given that genuine paranomal and supernatural events happen spontaneously.  They can't just be called upon to order, which is what this challenge seems to suggest, so I reckon JREF can safely hang on to their $1m.

That was my thought exactly. You don't expect paranormal and supernatural things to happen on demand or in a controlled environment. They happen when you least expect them and they are mostly of spontaneous nature. Some people are so dumb.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #638 on: May 10, 2013, 02:00 AM »

^ And you learn PDQ to dumb down.  Very Happy
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #639 on: May 10, 2013, 02:10 AM »

Of course you're right Aileen, but I'm still interested to know what Linda thinks, as she obviously has a reason for bringing this up in the first place. She's already told me she doesn't believe in life after death, so..........
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #640 on: May 10, 2013, 02:48 AM »

^ And you learn PDQ to dumb down.  Very Happy
  yes
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #641 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11 AM »

Forget it Linda......I already know your views on this and you're as entitled to them as anyone.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #642 on: May 10, 2013, 12:46 PM »

Sorry Caz.. I haven't been on here since the end of Andy's match last night, so just read your posts.
I only posted that link because when I watched the videos in my previous post I saw this and hadn't heard of it before, and thought it would fit in this thread. Shrug

I might surprise you by telling you that when I was younger I was completely open-minded and incredibly interested in the paranormal. I subscribed to a magazine for a while (can't remember the name.. so long ago) and I've also been to see 3 separate mediums. My youngest sister goes to see one regularly.
Over time, my own experiences, and observations of others I am now cynical.  That doesn't mean I don't respect or believe other people's belief in their own experiences.

Genuine question though.. if genuine paranormal events and supernatural events happen spontaneously, and not on demand in a controlled environment (per Aileen and Emma) how does that work for mediums?

I'm leaving to go camping today (and will miss Andy's match with Berdych Frown) so if we don't talk again for a few days it's because I'm away.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #643 on: May 10, 2013, 01:19 PM »

^ Sorry for butting in, but I think that 'Mediums' who have had years of experience, can tune in and tune out.  Almost like anyone does at his or her day job, and are experienced.  For the rest of us - we get signs that we either choose to take on board or choose to ignore.  I'm sort of in the middle ground - in fact my arse has splinters from sitting on the fence!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Spooks, spectres and the supernatural « Reply #644 on: May 10, 2013, 02:47 PM »

Mediums are recipients …well, mostly. There are channellers too that can go both ways. They have the ability to tune into different frequencies. We all have this ability even animals. It’s just that some are more focused on it and are open about it. I understand some are just born with this ability and they don't have to do much. It doesn’t happen to closed minded people as their frequencies are off because they prefer to believe it in that way.

It is nothing paranormal or supernatural. To mediums, it’s pretty much a regular thing.

Near death, out of body and all other experiences that can’t be explained within the current model are basically paranormal and supernatural experiences. I had a couple of out of body experiences but it was an experience that I won’t be able to prove it to anyone because of its very nature. It's a subjective experience and doesn't involve the material realm.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »