Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Swine flu outbreak 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 Go Down Reply
Author

Swine flu outbreak

(Read 6079 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #300 on: October 18, 2009, 07:29 PM »

It's amazing (and horrible) how many pregnant women have died from swine flu!  Also very young people ...
Surely it would be more accurate to just say flu rather than Swine flu or is Swine flu specifically causing more pregnant women and young people to die than other types of flu?
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #301 on: October 18, 2009, 07:34 PM »

Surely it would be more accurate to just say flu rather than Swine flu or is Swine flu specifically causing more pregnant women and young people to die than other types of flu?

No, in this case it would be less accurate to just say flu.  The cases I'm talking about specifically refer to H1N1 (Swine Flu). 

A young pregnant lady was flown from the UK to Sweden where they pumped oxygen into her blood - I'm not sure what the process is called, but additionally, there are none of these special beds in Scotland and only 4 in England.  Apparently each bed costs in the region of £1million - steep for the NHS. 
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #302 on: October 18, 2009, 07:37 PM »

I know you are referring to Swine flu cases, I didn't mean that when I talked about accuracy.

I'm just saying that unless pregnant women die more from Swine flu than other flus, then we should blame flu in general.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #303 on: October 18, 2009, 07:40 PM »

I know you are referring to Swine flu cases, I didn't mean that when I talked about accuracy.

I'm just saying that unless pregnant women die more from Swine flu than other flus, then we should blame flu in general.

From what I have read, pregnant women are more at risk from Swine Flu than other Flu.  Additionally, all pregnant women are being urged to get the H1N1 shot which is due to become available in this country next week.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #304 on: October 18, 2009, 07:43 PM »

Fair enough then, it seems Swine flu for once should be distinguished from normal flu Smile
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #305 on: October 18, 2009, 07:45 PM »

This is from a Q & A segment in CDC

What if I am pregnant and I get 2009 H1N1?
Call your doctor right away if you have flu symptoms or if you have close contact with someone who has the flu. Pregnant women who get sick with 2009 H1N1 can have serious health problems. They can get sicker than other people who get 2009 H1N1 flu. Some pregnant women sick with 2009 H1N1 have had early labor and severe pneumonia. Some have died.  If you are pregnant and have symptoms of the flu, take it very seriously. Call your doctor right away for advice.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/pregnant.htm
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #306 on: October 19, 2009, 07:48 AM »

Aren't they wanting to vaccinate pregnant women with an untested vaccine in the UK search

[ Last edit by Bevc October 19, 2009, 07:56 AM ] IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #307 on: October 19, 2009, 09:48 AM »

I believe so^  This is what I found so horrifying .... (a) that pregnant women are seemingly more at risk and are, in some cases dying; and (b) that they were going to vaccinate them with an unknown vaccine.  If I were living in a huge metroplex and pregnant, I have no idea what I'd do ..... maybe run away from home and hide in the woods ....
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #308 on: October 21, 2009, 09:40 PM »

Heard on the news today that , hospital personnel, hospitalised people and pregnant women are to receive the H1N1 vaccine next week, in that order ...
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #309 on: October 21, 2009, 09:59 PM »

Hospital staff began to receive the vaccine today as I heard it, and next in line are very sick people, then pregnant women
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #310 on: October 23, 2009, 06:46 AM »

So, what are the statistics for the UK for people that have 'common flu' and are they still testing for swine flu - they stopped after a while here as there were too many people to test (remember population 4 mil) Think
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #311 on: October 23, 2009, 08:36 AM »

Here's an update for England only

doubling of weekly infections to 53,000 in England.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/Swine_flu/article6886197.ece

IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #312 on: October 23, 2009, 11:35 AM »

My little cousins got it...she's 15 and sounds like she's doing fine...however I saw her last weekend, just before she got sick...was kinda hoping I'd just get it and be done with it but so far I'm still healthy Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #313 on: October 24, 2009, 08:52 AM »

My little cousins got it...she's 15 and sounds like she's doing fine...however I saw her last weekend, just before she got sick...was kinda hoping I'd just get it and be done with it but so far I'm still healthy Smile

Boost your immune system with natural things - garlic is good.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #314 on: December 21, 2010, 02:02 PM »

Looks like this is gathering momentum again ...

Swine flu winter: 200 fight for life as number of patients doubles in a week to put strain on intensive care units

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1340349/Swine-flu-200-fight-life-number-patients-intensive-care-doubles-week.html#ixzz18krEXnRW
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »