Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Swine flu outbreak 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] Go Down Reply
Author

Swine flu outbreak

(Read 6147 times)
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #315 on: December 21, 2010, 02:13 PM »

Looks like this is gathering momentum again ...

Swine flu winter: 200 fight for life as number of patients doubles in a week to put strain on intensive care units

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1340349/Swine-flu-200-fight-life-number-patients-intensive-care-doubles-week.html#ixzz18krEXnRW

It's just the flu season - I'd imagine a fair number are suffering from 'standard' flu too!
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #316 on: December 21, 2010, 02:36 PM »

It's just the flu season - I'd imagine a fair number are suffering from 'standard' flu too!

Just seeing you post there Joe, reminded me that you know about materia medica.

A friend of mine has a 9 year daughter who was rushed to the hospital with sudden onset juvenile diabetes ... poor little thing is now stuck with needles and insulin.  Do you know what causes this?
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #317 on: December 21, 2010, 03:47 PM »

Just seeing you post there Joe, reminded me that you know about materia medica.

A friend of mine has a 9 year daughter who was rushed to the hospital with sudden onset juvenile diabetes ... poor little thing is now stuck with needles and insulin.  Do you know what causes this?

Do you definitely mean Type 1 diabetes (think that's what juvenile diabetes is now caused)?

It's autoimmune and mostly genetic I believe. Can be sudden onset around that age - did she go into diabetic coma or something?
The only good thing is that it's more easily managed and you're not so predisposed to all the awful consequences that you are with Type 2 - you do have to keep on top of it though and keep blood glucose levels within normal ranges.

I saw a programme a few months back about kids with diabetes in London - so many of those featured just didn't bother to attend their clinic appointments or check their blood glucose levels, then were surprised when they went into a diabetic coma.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #318 on: December 21, 2010, 03:51 PM »

Scratch that bit about genetics, as apparently Type 1 is not usually inherited. As it's autoimmune though, she could have been exposed to something (a virus maybe) which triggered an OTT immune reaction and attacked the pancreas.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Swine flu outbreak « Reply #319 on: December 21, 2010, 04:00 PM »

She did go into a coma - completely out of the blue.  Thanks for the info Joe.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »