Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 ... 134 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 32495 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1005 on: September 18, 2013, 08:53 PM »

In fact, there'll be quite a number of sports people who wouldn't represent Scotland - cyclists and rowers for example who can't be expected to jeopardise their career by giving up all the training and coaching and funding currently available to them.
Are you saying Scottish sportsmen/women can renounce their nationality and therefore keep their funding in place. Think....doubt it
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1006 on: September 18, 2013, 08:56 PM »

Are you saying Scottish sportsmen/women can renounce their nationality and therefore keep their funding in place. Think....doubt it
Absolutely - they'll represent GB which, by the way, is who they represent now!
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1007 on: September 18, 2013, 08:59 PM »

Absolutely - they'll represent GB which, by the way, is who they represent now!
Yep but Scotland isn't independent , so it could change legally if that was to happen.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1008 on: September 18, 2013, 09:13 PM »

GB will still be GB geographically, just not politically, if Scotland votes Yes.    Why not a GB team?
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1009 on: September 18, 2013, 09:25 PM »

GB will still be GB geographically, just not politically, if Scotland votes Yes.    Why not a GB team?
If it happens then Pandora,s box will be opened and all will be revealed.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1010 on: September 18, 2013, 09:47 PM »

Sounds interesting.    Can't wait.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1011 on: September 18, 2013, 10:59 PM »

With exactly one year to go before the referendum, has anyone who voted or posted on this thread been persuaded to change/make up their mind by either the Yes or No campaigners, and how effective do people think the respective campaigns have been so far?

I'm still undecided (but likely to vote no) Aileen. An acquaintance on Facebook (friend is such a devalued word!) posted a link to the Better Together campaign page on there and I was shocked at how it seemed to be almost entirely negative campaigning about the other side (if it was official it was a poor show). For some reason I find angry unionists extremely irritating!  Whistle

Oddly I'm much more forgiving of nationalists. My Grandpa who passed away a few months ago was a lifelong supporter of independence so I suspect that is the main reason why. If there is a yes vote next year I will be sorry he didn't get to see his dream in his lifetime. If that is the decision of the Scottish people I will respect it and pray it works out!  nervous
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1012 on: September 19, 2013, 11:19 AM »

The only thing I would complain about is the constant carping from English newspapers. It has been terrible every day in the times they have articles on at least 2 pages. These are of course Scare Tactics which most people in Scotland are now used to. Sometime they are utter rubbish if this is all the NO campaign can say then of course people in Scotland will just dismiss it and like myself it has made me more likely to vote for independence. Scotland needs to be in charge of its natural resources and for this it has to be independence.If the government in London had listened they should have thought of a federal system I am sure most Scots would be happy with that. However they are so blinkered that they cannot see that this would work.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1013 on: September 19, 2013, 12:08 PM »

Scare tactics/blame game - six of one and half a dozen of the other, as I see it.

Anyhow, wasn't the 'white paper' due out this month and has now been postponed to November. Think  What's the hold up?  It's not like other people set the date.

Saw an interesting interview on Jeff Randall Live on Wednesday - some guy from Institute of Economics.  Quite balanced really.  Said that both England and Scotland would benefit from Scotland going independent.  However, he suggested a couple of things need to be addressed.  Welfare dependency, especially in an area of Glasgow, and currency.  Keeping the pound isn't viable and Scotland should seek to have it's own.
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1014 on: September 19, 2013, 12:39 PM »

if you are considering major constitutional change, the onus is on those proposing the change to make a very convincing case. That is difficult to do and I don't think Salmond etc. will manage it.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1015 on: September 19, 2013, 03:19 PM »

Bevc why pick on Glasgow re welfare other cities in England are just as bad. Liverpool for instance. Know why all the traditional industries have gone with nothing to replace them. England has its fair amount of people on welfare there are no jobs for them either. There will be even less if this Tory/lib Dems have their way.I get so fed up of people who no longer live in this country making comments about welfare. There are a lot of descent people on welfare because they cannot find work.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1016 on: September 19, 2013, 04:46 PM »

if you are considering major constitutional change, the onus is on those proposing the change to make a very convincing case. That is difficult to do and I don't think Salmond etc. will manage it.
The blunt truth is that they haven't, so far at least.  I'm also still waiting to be convinced by the No campaigners, something else that doesn't seem to be happening.  All that seems to be coming from them is a load of negative rhetoric and, if they don't get their act together soon, they'll be doing Alex Salmond a big favour, something they're already actually doing.  So answering my own question, the effectiveness of both the Yes and No campaigns up till now leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm still undecided (but likely to vote no) Aileen. An acquaintance on Facebook (friend is such a devalued word!) posted a link to the Better Together campaign page on there and I was shocked at how it seemed to be almost entirely negative campaigning about the other side (if it was official it was a poor show). For some reason I find angry unionists extremely irritating!  Whistle

Oddly I'm much more forgiving of nationalists. My Grandpa who passed away a few months ago was a lifelong supporter of independence so I suspect that is the main reason why. If there is a yes vote next year I will be sorry he didn't get to see his dream in his lifetime. If that is the decision of the Scottish people I will respect it and pray it works out!  nervous
Although I still intend to vote No, for the moment at least, I do agree with you - but then I find strident SNPs equally irritating!

I'm sorry to hear that your Grandpa didn't live long enough to see his wish fulfilled, if there is indeed a Yes vote.  Fortunately I only have myself to think of, but I would be very concerned about a Yes vote if I had children, or more particularly grandchildren.  As you say, should it happen, then I can only hope that, in the end of the day, the right decision will have been made.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1017 on: September 19, 2013, 05:44 PM »

This...

If Scotland were to gain independence, it would have significant debts to pay off (more than the rest of the UK by far) which would mean less money for public services and pensions.  Oil is extremely volatile and running out, it's a fantasy to think we could sustain our economy on it. 

It would cost around 600 million to replicate the tax regime we already have in the UK - nobody knows how much it would cost to set up Embassies. an army, etc.

We trade with England more than we do with all other Countries in the world - why turn our biggest partner into our biggest competitor?

Nobody knows whether we'd be part of the EU or not, or whether we'd have to join the Euro.

These are just some of the things we are not told regarding Scottish independence...
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1018 on: September 19, 2013, 06:12 PM »

iam so scared we in ENGALND will loose ANDY ANDOTHER GREAT SPORTS PERSONAL because alot of good people are scottish
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1019 on: September 19, 2013, 06:45 PM »

This...

If Scotland were to gain independence, it would have significant debts to pay off (more than the rest of the UK by far) which would mean less money for public services and pensions.  Oil is extremely volatile and running out, it's a fantasy to think we could sustain our economy on it. 

It would cost around 600 million to replicate the tax regime we already have in the UK - nobody knows how much it would cost to set up Embassies. an army, etc.

We trade with England more than we do with all other Countries in the world - why turn our biggest partner into our biggest competitor?

Nobody knows whether we'd be part of the EU or not, or whether we'd have to join the Euro.

These are just some of the things we are not told regarding Scottish independence...

Well obviously someone has told you, Elly, and I would guess it would be the No campaign.     It sounds like them - shoulder your share of the debt but forget about your share of the assets.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 ... 134 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »