Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 ... 134 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 32623 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1065 on: September 21, 2013, 08:34 PM »

gra′vy train`
n. 
Slang.
a position in which one receives excessive or unjustified money or advantages with little or no effort.

Also known as an MP...!!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1066 on: September 21, 2013, 08:59 PM »

Also known as an MP...!!!
lol  Very true Masaka.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1067 on: September 21, 2013, 09:12 PM »

Interesting shift of the votes in the poll since this time last year.  I wonder how much it'll change in the coming months.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1068 on: September 22, 2013, 08:11 PM »

SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE: YES CAMPAIGNERS RALLY IN EDINBURGH [BBC News, 21 Sept]

Thousands of pro-independence campaigners have marched through the streets of Edinburgh in support of their cause.

The march began on the High Street and ended on the city's Calton Hill with the Rally for Scottish Independence.

Police estimated that more than 8,000 people took part in the march.

Organisers said that between 20,000 and 30,000 people had been involved in the day's events.

A range of groups took part in the march, from political parties to organisations such as Farming for YES and Football Supporters for Independence.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-24183083

From that article - Alex Salmond says "A Yes vote is for self-government, not remote government - good government with independence, not bad government from Westminster."

It's a no-brainer. Vote yes. Why have bad government when you could have good government?

I don't get a vote in the referendum (quite rightly), so haven't voted in the poll. How's it going? I was all for keeping the union - for reasons given way back in this thread, but am less sure now.

Btw, I like and respect my MP and local councillors. There must be something wrong with me.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1069 on: September 22, 2013, 08:38 PM »

From that article - Alex Salmond says "A Yes vote is for self-government, not remote government - good government with independence, not bad government from Westminster."

It's a no-brainer. Vote yes. Why have bad government when you could have good government?

I don't get a vote in the referendum (quite rightly), so haven't voted in the poll. How's it going? I was all for keeping the union - for reasons given way back in this thread, but am less sure now.

Btw, I like and respect my MP and local councillors. There must be something wrong with me.
You can see the poll at the top of each page, and the numbers have changed slightly even in the last two days.  The number of Yes voters going up from 9 to 10, the No from 21 to 22, and the Dont Knows from 8 to 9.

I have a lot of respect for the SNP government, which I was assured by a lady MSP is not connected to the Yes campaign - and if that makes any sense to anyone then I must be missing something - but that doesn't mean I want independence (again for reasons already stated).  With a year to go though I don't entirely rule out a change of mind, but only IF I can be 100% persuaded that it's the right thing for Scotland.  However, for that I want hard facts, not smokescreens, half-baked promises and emotionally charged kilt and heather speeches.

I thought this quote from the article was interesting as it has a ring of truth about it, and one very good reason why I have no faith whatsoever in opinion polls -

Dennis Canavan, chair of the Yes Scotland Advisory Board, told the Calton Hill crowd: "This campaign is more like a marathon rather than a short sprint. And having run a few marathons in my time, I know that the runner who is ahead at the halfway stage is not necessarily the winner of the race.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 22, 2013, 08:41 PM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1070 on: September 22, 2013, 09:06 PM »

Thanks Aileen - presumably you have to vote in the poll to see results - which I haven't done as I won't be voting in the referendum.

I know you have said before that the SNP government have done good things - which I'm sure they have. I just get a bit pissed off with the "most politicians are twats" or "on the gravy train" type comments. It's easy to sit back and criticise, harder to get out there and do the job.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1071 on: September 22, 2013, 09:47 PM »

Yes you do have to vote.  I don't see any reason though why you shouldn't vote even if you can't vote in the referendum, and in fact I know at least one member in your situation who has.

I do agree with you about these unhelpful, sweeping statements that keep appearing on here.  Armchair criticism is a wonderful thing!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1072 on: September 22, 2013, 09:59 PM »

Do I have a vote, Aileen?

I'm still a Brit citizen with a Brit passport.

(Dual citizenship UK/Canada)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1073 on: September 22, 2013, 10:05 PM »

Do I have a vote, Aileen?

I'm still a Brit citizen with a Brit passport.

(Dual citizenship UK/Canada)
On here I see no reason why not.  After all you do still have a vested interest in Scotland's future even if you no longer live here and therefore can't vote in the referendum.  I know Caz has voted despite the fact that she lives in England.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1074 on: September 22, 2013, 10:09 PM »

On here I see no reason why not.  After all you do still have a vested interest in Scotland's future even if you no longer live here and therefore can't vote in the referendum.  I know Caz has voted despite the fact that she lives in England.

No..  I meant for reals.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1075 on: September 22, 2013, 10:21 PM »

Pretty sure you need to be resident in Scotland - don't think Andy has a vote either so you're in good company.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1076 on: September 22, 2013, 10:22 PM »

Proxy vote?
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1077 on: September 22, 2013, 10:25 PM »

Don't think so, will try and find out. Haven't paid much attention to that side of things cos I live here so know I can vote. Now v curious.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1078 on: September 22, 2013, 10:26 PM »

Me too..  Think
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1079 on: September 22, 2013, 10:34 PM »

"The technical model the Bill employs is to attach referendum voting rights to the Scottish local government franchise (s2(1)(b)(i)). This franchise,  which is also the basis of the right to vote in Scottish Parliamentary elections by virtue of the Scotland Act 1998 (s11), was used also in the 1997 devolution referendum.  By adopting this franchise, the Parliament has adopted a criterion of residence within Scotland as a precondition of the right to vote.  Scots residing in other parts of the UK or overseas may not vote (excepting service voters stationed abroad, for whom provision is to be made by election law to preserve their right to an absent vote).  The overseas voting rights for UK Parliamentary elections conferred by UK election law (Representation of the People Acts 1985 and 1989) do not permit expatriates to register as local government electors, and the Franchise Bill makes no adjusted provision to allow this. The exclusion of expatriate Scots from the referendum electorate raises sensitive political and moral issues that were rather muted in the debates during the parliamentary passage of the Bill. This delimitation of voting rights contrasts with the expansive citizenship criteria the Bill employs:  all otherwise qualified Commonwealth, Irish or EU citizens resident in Scotland may register to vote (s2(1)(d)).  So a migrant worker from Poland, living in Scotland for a few short years is enfranchised, while a Scot spending a similar spell living and working in England is not.  This is a consequence of the Scottish Government’s policy choice to adopt wholesale the local government franchise rules rather than designing an entirely separate register of referendum electors.  Doing so is an effective way of reducing the administrative costs of the referendum by permitting the use of existing local government electoral registers. It does, however, produce anomalies in the distribution of voting rights that could be perceived as unfair to some of those disenfranchised as a result"

So no, sorry,you and Andy can't vote.  Very absurd rules re Scots living temporarily away from home having no vote but temporary workers from abroad having a say. (all good reason itself to vote no, couldnae run a menage as they say)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 ... 134 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »